Is FORD DEALER the only place who can read out ABS error codes? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is FORD DEALER the only place who can read out ABS error codes?

SyberTiger

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
I'm having problems with my ABS, AdvanceTrac, and 4x4 HIGH idiot lights coming on in my 2002 Limited 4x4. Even though the Check Engine Soon (CES) light didn't come on I took the Explorer over to AutoZone to see if the computer logged any error codes related to this particular problem. There were no codes in the system. Is the only realistic place to check for ABS system error codes at the Ford dealer? If so, what can I expect to see as a charge for this service? I wonder why the AutoZone code reader doesn't read out ABS and traction system error codes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can have ABS codes read anywhere like Advance auto or autozone. I have a handheld scanner that also reads ABS codes. Make sure you let them know it is ABS light as OBD is stored in a different location than ABS codes.

btw, does your cruise control work?

Many tire shops that also do brake work can read ABS codes. Usually cheaper than dealer to get the code read. You could probably buy an ABS code reader for what the dealer will want to charge to get the codes.

You can have ABS codes read anywhere like Advance auto or autozone. I have a handheld scanner that also reads ABS codes. Make sure you let them know it is ABS light as OBD is stored in a different location than ABS codes.

I guess you are saying the lady at AutoZone who I asked to read the codes out didn't know what she was doing?

When you say the OnBoardDiagnostics codes are stored in a different place you aren't saying there is a different data link connector are you? Maybe you are saying that the handheld scanner needs to interrogate a different part on the automobiles error log?

btw, does your cruise control work?

Yes, the cruise control works just fine. I know that because when the ABS/AdvanceTrac lights came on I was on a long trip from Orlando to Atlanta. They came on just as I was leaving a gas station but when I got back on the interstate highway the cruise control worked just fine.

Is this a hint as to what the problem is or isn't?

not all scanners will read ABS codes. I went by Advance Auto and asked them to pull my abs codes. My scanner (the same brand they used) will NOT read abs. I do however get the P0500 code twice. My Speed O is inop and light is on all the time.
I have replaced the wheel speed sensors on the front and the vss on the rear end AND the ABS module. All to no avail.

I did read on here somewhere there is another module in the mix here. It controls the cluster lights and the overhead console. My temp will just start reading wildly and over head console (outside temp & direction you are moving) will just go out.

You ask if there is another connection besides the ODB II port. The short answer is YES! I have found what looks like a 30 or 40 pin connector under the hood that looks like it is for the dealership to do a hookup.

Good luck
Rick

not all scanners will read ABS codes. I went by Advance Auto and asked them to pull my abs codes.

Okay, so the first time I tried to have someone read the codes it was AutoZone. The lady there said she could not read ABS codes but only CES codes. So, today I went to AdvancedAuto and specifically asked them to read the ABS codes. Neither person knew how to precisely use the code scanner and only one of them said it could read ABS codes. So, we went out to the parking lot to try to fumble through it but without knowledge of the specific code scanner nor the experience we got no where. Anyhow, I just looked up the model number of the code scanner. It is the Actron CP9580. According to the link I've provided it does handle ABS code reading. So, I guess I'll look for the manual online somewhere and figure out how to do it then go back and educate the AdvancedAuto dudes....LOL.

I had the very same problem at AAP. The kid asked me for my DL and handed it over to me and let me do it myself. It was very easy. Just answer the questions as to your ride and it will ask if it is ABS equipped. Answer Yes.

My problem is I get a "ABS module did not reply"

Still tracking this down.

I went to autozone last week for a check engine light, and some old ABS codes came up on there too. So they should be able to read them.

I went back to AdvancedAuto armed with knowledge on how to use the scanner. The problem with my first visits to AdvancedAuto and AutoZone was that the clerk didn't know how to use the device. All they were doing was hooking it up to the car and using the generic car setting to read out codes that are standard on all vehicles. What they should have done was enter the specific details on the year, make, and model of my vehicle. When you do that the scanner knows what modules your vehicle is configured with. Therefore, with my latest trip to AdvancedAuto I entered my vehicle info into the scanner and it saw that I had an ABS module installed. Viola...got the ABS codes and the recommended fixes from the scanner. Now that I have what I was looking for I will continue on my initial thread that brought me to ask about scanners. That thread is: ABS and AdvanceTrac and 4x4 HIGH Idiot Lights On

Thanks all for gave input on this thread concerning ABS scanners. I really appreciate how you took the time to help out.

Syber

Thanks for giving us the specific feedback on how to get the auto parts store code readers to work to get the ABS codes. I'm sure that many of the clerks don't get much training on how to use the code readers.

When I went to AA to get my Subaru codes read they claimed they could not hook up the reader to the car. They were looking under the dash. On my MY Subaru there is a small door to the left of the steering wheel, near the bottom of the dash marked "diagnostic connector". Open that and the OBD-II connector was present.

I went back to AdvancedAuto armed with knowledge on how to use the scanner. The problem with my first visits to AdvancedAuto and AutoZone was that the clerk didn't know how to use the device. All they were doing was hooking it up to the car and using the generic car setting to read out codes that are standard on all vehicles. What they should have done was enter the specific details on the year, make, and model of my vehicle. When you do that the scanner knows what modules your vehicle is configured with. Therefore, with my latest trip to AdvancedAuto I entered my vehicle info into the scanner and it saw that I had an ABS module installed. Viola...got the ABS codes and the recommended fixes from the scanner. Now that I have what I was looking for I will continue on my initial thread that brought me to ask about scanners. That thread is: ABS and AdvanceTrac and 4x4 HIGH Idiot Lights On

Thanks all for gave input on this thread concerning ABS scanners. I really appreciate how you took the time to help out.

Did you get the ABS codes through the OBD port or was there another port to connect the scanner to?

Did you get the ABS codes through the OBD port or was there another port to connect the scanner to?

It's done through the OBD II port. You have to set it up to scan for Ford abs codes, not DTCs.

It's done through the OBD II port. You have to set it up to scan for Ford abs codes, not DTCs.
Good to know. I kept reading that ABS codes are stored elsewhere and I assumed that meant a different port to access them like in the 1st gens but apparently not. Hopefully my 95's OBD1 port will provide ABS codes also. The local parts store here said they could read ABS codes and OBD1 DTC's but weren't sure on OBD1 ABS codes. We shall see...

My 1991 ford explorer is throwing codes 9,8, and code 6. The engine light is flashing 9 times then puasing, then it flahses 8 times then pauses agin amd then flashes 6 times. Can anybody tell what the codes for these are?

I have the obd1 list just dont know where to find the single code list

Does anybody know where the coolant sensor is located at on my 1991 ford explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anybody know where the coolant sensor is located at on my 1991 ford explorer
Need more info than that... temp or level sensor? What engine do you have? Also, you will have better luck posting in the 1st-gen forum.

Back