Is my fuel pump bad 1999 ford explorer shoc 4.0. Lots of pictures on the replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is my fuel pump bad 1999 ford explorer shoc 4.0. Lots of pictures on the replacement

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
My truck falls on its face when 0 to full throttle like when you are getting off an highway exit
Or on a hill then wot so to be clear I am getting off the highway exit then I stop wait for an opening then hit 3/4 to full pedal
Then it stalls

Fuel pressure check
Prime= 40 psi
Running = 50 psi
0 to 3000 rpm throttle snap = drop fast from 50 to 40
Then back up to 50_55 then back to 50
Leak down = 50 drop engine off drops to 30 in 3 min

Thanks for help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been doing this for 2 years

Thanks again

If it is the pump I was gonna replace it with a Carter from rock auto part number Carter p74879s

Anyone

Your fuel pressure is low. s/b about 65-67 PSI. Have you changed the fuel filter? If so your problem is likely your fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator, both of which are part of the fuel pump assembly on a '99. Sometimes the short pieces of submersible fuel line inside the tank can also split/leak.

I wont use anything but Bosch 69128 fuel pump kits in my Explorers/Mountaineers. I've installed at least 1/2 a dozen of them with excellent results and they come with everything needed except a new fuel filter and pump strainer.

As low as $45 on eBay w/free shipping.
s-l1600.jpg

Thanks all I will prob go with the Bosch
It is the original pump and yes I changed the filter be for I tested lol get my ducks in a row

Does that kit come with a new fpr

Damn I will do that the manual says that it must hold pressure down to 30 psi for five minutes so I know the fpr is on the way out that exit is the only place it does it it's kinda on a hill oh yea it only does it when 1/4 tank or less sorry I did not mention that it did not occur to me until now thanks again

Damn I will do that the manual says that it must hold pressure down to 30 psi for five minutes so I know the fpr is on the way out that exit is the only place it does it it's kinda on a hill oh yea it only does it when 1/4 tank or less sorry I did not mention that it did not occur to me until now thanks again

Make sure you get a new fuel filter with that pump assembly so you can rule out any other issues - if any - that crop up on down the line (hopefully none will - but just saying).

No sense doing all the labor involved replacing a pump assembly with out replacing the fuel filter.

Link: 1999 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 SOHC Fuel Filter | RockAuto

Your correct I plan on doing just that thanks again y'all are great
Always helping to fix Ford's f ups

What piece s of submersible line
Are they on the fuel pump assembly or in the tank
If they are in the tank I want to replace them to
Don't want to tear it down again

What piece s of submersible line
Are they on the fuel pump assembly or in the tank
If they are in the tank I want to replace them to
Don't want to tear it down again

Since you're buying a COMPLETE fuel pump assembly because you felt you ALSO NEED a new fuel pump regulator - you don't need to worry about buying submersible compatible fuel line - because the submersible compatible fuel line is already hooked up within the COMPLETE fuel pump assembly.

The forward and backward red arrows next to the PICTURES on the various Rock Auto offerings will allow you to see many views of the complete fuel pump assemble - click on them - you'll see what I'm saying.

A complete fuel pump assembly is - for all intensive purposes - "Plug and Play" - that's why your're paying so much $$$ verses purchasing JUST a replacement fuel pump for your original FORD fuel pump assembly/housing.

Basically you're looking at between $72 - $300 Dollars for a COMPLETE fuel pump assembly.

Your budget makes the call ;-)

Thanks all I will prob go with the Bosch
It is the original pump and yes I changed the filter be for I tested lol get my ducks in a row

I've heard some say that Bosch was the OE pump, I've also heard it was not, so I don't know. However we've logged well over 100k on the Bosch pump (on 6-7 different Explorers/Mountaineers) with no issues whatsoever. All my OE pumps started having issues at between 175k-200k, which seems to be their average life span.

The nice thing about the Bosch 69128 kit is that it comes with enough submersible fuel line to replace both pieces (pump-to-FPR and FPR to fuel line) several fuel injection-style hose clamps, a new pump insulator and the thin-to-thick terminal jumper wire (which you'll need). You will not need the large O-rings and one of the pump insulators. The only things you need to purchase is a new pump strainer sock and a new fuel pump, unless you just replaced your filter.

I recently (last week?) posted some time/aggravation saving tips on dropping the fuel tank and changing the fuel pump. I suggest you find that thread and read them.

Once you've got your FP assembly out of the tank carefully examine your pressure regulator for any cracks. It's rare, but I've read that it happens. All of mine were fine, but my issues were that I had intermittent FP operation. If you're installing a new complete new FP assembly, don't worrying about the FPR or fuel lines and it probably come with the new strainer sock.

Thanks now I know what line you were talking about thanks for the info

Don

No.

You'll have to buy a complete pump assembly to get a new Furl Pump Regulator.

Link: 1999 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 SOHC Fuel Pump & Housing Assembly | RockAuto

Here's Rock Auto's 5% off Coupon Code: 4B249D02D0C680 Expires: April 26, 2018

As per RA: "Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount.

Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers."
So I ordered from rock auto and I used your coupon code saved me ten bucks thanks man for the advice and the code

Don

So I ordered from rock auto and I used your coupon code saved me ten bucks thanks man for the advice and the code

Don

Glad to have helped - good luck with the repair and report back/ update this thread regarding your repair experience with anything you feel is worth passing along - photos are great!

I think I might take some pic s I have been meaning to do a tutorial for a while

Thanks again
I will be updateing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok update so I ordered parts
I was curious so I did another fuel pressure test
Prime 55 psi
Running 62 stays there on the petal or not
Engine off 65 leaks down to 30 in 27 min
20 in 38 min and stays at 20
Way different than last test same conditions
Tested when hot took it for a ride in to town and back solid 30 min of driving

Back