Is my washer fluid reservoir clogged or what's the deal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is my washer fluid reservoir clogged or what's the deal?

bwomack

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Hey all. With winter not wanting to let go here I picked up some road grime on the windshield . Went to clean it off and had no fluid come out. Since it had been awhile since I put fluid in, I checked that first, thinking it could be empty. Couldn't see any fluid in the neck of the reservoir so added some . The weird part is it only filled up the neck. Couldn't add anymore . Gave it a minute or two to see if it would drain down into the reservoir, but it didn't. Any ideas what may be causing this? Thanks . BTW I have a 14 limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you run the rear for 10-15 seconds to see if it would spray there? That would help eliminate some of the multiple options it could be (air leak so pump doesnt prime, clog in main hose, clog in front nozzles etc)

The rear nozzle doenddo spray either. I'm just not understanding why the reservoir won't fill up. I used a brand new jug of fluid and only poured maybe a couple of ouces or so before it was at the top of the neck on the reservoir. Leading me to believe something is in the tank that is not allowing the fluid to go in

The rear nozzle doenddo spray either. I'm just not understanding why the reservoir won't fill up. I used a brand new jug of fluid and only poured maybe a couple of ouces or so before it was at the top of the neck on the reservoir. Leading me to believe something is in the tank that is not allowing the fluid to go in
Are you positive that there wasn't already fluid in the washer container before you added some. It just doesn't make sense that the fluid won't go to the bottom. Have you tried shoving something down the neck to see how far it will go? Is it possible there is a block of ice in there? If the fluid is all the way to the bottom of the reservoir and neither the front or rear washers work then it could be that the pump isn't working any longer.

Peter

Can you hear the pump running?

So after a couple of days, this is what I have come up with. I was able to stick a plastic rod into the reservoir the lenghl of the rod., about 12 inches, without reaching any obstructions . I will try a longer rod when I get time to get one. I also noticed the pump doesn't seem to be running . I can hear the relay clicking though . And, the beautiful orange rain x fluid I put in 2 days ago now looks like this.....

Well don't know what happened, but the image didn't show up. But it basically turned the orange fluid a nasty brown/green color .
media-1521764976852_zps1kptibsw.jpg.html

No pictures yet.
Have you checked the fuse? If it is good, I suspect a faulty pump. There have been a few that found a type of 'goo' in the system; windshield washer pump In the thread you'll also see a cut away picture of the reservoir. Good luck.

Peter

Washer pump is bad...its all rusted/corroded inside. Fairly common issue.

Pumps are cheap and easy to replace, just sucks when you have a full reservoir.

Shop Vac out the fluid. Take pump off and clean the tank really well. Replace the pump then the tank then the fluid. Sounds easy in my head. Really a shop vac is your friend just make sure it is empty and ready to suck fluid.

So after a couple of days, this is what I have come up with. I was able to stick a plastic rod into the reservoir the lenghl of the rod., about 12 inches, without reaching any obstructions . I will try a longer rod when I get time to get one. I also noticed the pump doesn't seem to be running . I can hear the relay clicking though . And, the beautiful orange rain x fluid I put in 2 days ago now looks like this.....

Well don't know what happened, but the image didn't show up. But it basically turned the orange fluid a nasty brown/green color .
media-1521764976852_zps1kptibsw.jpg.html
Any update on this? Did you replace the pump?

Back