Is this a good deal on a new Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this a good deal on a new Explorer?

KatyD

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Hi all,

Just put a deposit on a 2016 Sport Magnetic Metallic, adaptive cruise, summer tires, dual moon-roof. We will take delivery the first week of August. The price out the door is $51,200. It is basically $1300 under invoice. We have 8.1% sales tax. I'm coming from a 2008 Acura TL TypeS. BACK TO FORD! We had a 1993 Explorer XLT, 1998 Expedition XLT (my all time favorite),and a 2002 F-150 Extra cab. I think we negotiated a good deal. What do you think? The dealer told us they are still buying up 2015s from other dealers out of state to capitalize on the rebates. I've been lurking for a while trying to decide, it was between a Porsche Macan S, Audi SQ5, and the Explorer Sport. I know we made the right choice!

Katy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all,

Just put a deposit on a 2016 Sport Magnetic Metallic, adaptive cruise, summer tires, dual moon-roof. We will take delivery the first week of August. The price out the door is $52,200. It is basically $1300 under invoice. We have 8.1% sales tax. I'm coming from a 2008 Acura TL TypeS. BACK TO FORD! We had a 1993 Explorer XLT, 1998 Expedition XLT (my all time favorite),and a 2002 F-150 Extra cab. I think we negotiated a good deal. What do you think? The dealer told us they are still buying up 2015s from other dealers out of state to capitalize on the rebates. I've been lurking for a while trying to decide, it was between a Porsche Macan S, Audi SQ5, and the Explorer Sport. I know we made the right choice!

Katy

$1300 under the invoice price or off the MSRP? The best way is to use TRUECAR which shows what people in your area are paying for a vehicle similar to yours. If you got it for 1300 below invoice you're doing pretty good. I would be interested to know what the sticker price was on the vehicle. I ordered a 16 XLT which is 42800 sticker and I will be working on the price once the vehicle comes in within the next week.

Sticker on my 2016 sport fully loaded (without the rear entertainment system) was between $52k-$53k, I got them down to somewhere between $47k-$48k... We don't have state sales tax though, not sure how that changes things.

MSRP is $52,285. So we got it for 46,900 plus taxes, doc fees & title. TrueCar says under $47,610 is an exceptional deal! I'm thrilled! Stick to your guns and negotiate a great price!

So the dealer called me to tell me my Explorer arrived...damaged in a hail storm! They didn't accept delivery. He said around 40 cars were damaged. I wonder what happens to all those damaged vehicles. So now we start the search over :(

So the dealer called me to tell me my Explorer arrived...damaged in a hail storm! They didn't accept delivery. He said around 40 cars were damaged. I wonder what happens to all those damaged vehicles. So now we start the search over :(

They end up on ebay all parted out.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Hopefully the replacement won't be long.

MSRP is $52,285. So we got it for 46,900 plus taxes, doc fees & title. TrueCar says under $47,610 is an exceptional deal! I'm thrilled! Stick to your guns and negotiate a great price!
That's great ... I got my 2016 sport for 46k

That's great ... I got my 2016 sport for 46k

what were your options? That seems like a great price. I'm surprised that some people are getting such great deals (below invoice) when the demand is high and the inventory is low (on sports and platinums).

what were your options? That seems like a great price. I'm surprised that some people are getting such great deals (below invoice) when the demand is high and the inventory is low (on sports and platinums).

Everything except for the active cruise control and the 2nd row bucket seats...
It's a great truck so far besides the minor problems I had in the beginning

Everything except for the active cruise control and the 2nd row bucket seats...
It's a great truck so far besides the minor problems I had in the beginning

Dual 2nd Row Bucket & Console $845
ACC and Collision Avoidance $1150

Thats $2000 of options so you got a very good buy.

So we got a new Sport picked out. It should be here maybe as soon as the end of the week!
$47,200
Ingot Silver
401A
Dual Panel Moon Roof
P265/45ZR20 Tires
LED Fog Lamps
Roof Rack Cross Bars
Adaptive Cruise

TrueCar was a decent deal

I just used TrueCar 2 weeks ago and got a pretty good deal on my ordered Sport.
$5070 of MSRP, but the dealer wants to tack on $1300 of adds (to recoup some of the reduction). I know the sales guy so I'm not fighting him on the dealer adds, but you might see something like that if you use TrueCar. Dealers have to pay them a commission, so not only is it $5k under msrp (and close to invoice) but they also pay TrueCar. We also only have 3 Ford dealerships in town, all owned by the same company, so not much competition unless i leave town.

$44865
2016 Sport
Ruby Red Metallic
401a
Rear Buckets
Rear Console
LED fog lights

After sales tax, title, Doc Fee, and the adds, i'm still below MSRP out the door! Oh and they will tack on any additional Ford incentives when it arrives, so I might save more! Not that i got the best deal on the planet, but wanted to share my experience.

I got my 16 sport with 401a and dual panorama for 45,207 plus tax last Saturday.

They end up on ebay all parted out.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Hopefully the replacement won't be long.
One of the Dodge dealers here had most of their new cars damaged while they sat on the lot in a hail storm. They sold them all at a huge discount sale.

Peter

I paid 43,947 tax and fees included out the door for my 2016 Sport wit h BLIS , power liftgate and Nav.

One of the Dodge dealers here had most of their new cars damaged while they sat on the lot in a hail storm. They sold them all at a huge discount sale.

Peter

Not bad if you dump it in a couple of years..When it comes to trucks I never see old Dodge trucks around..Whenever I am stopped in gridlock all I ever see are new Dodge trucks..Never older ones..It seems they disappear off the streets in less then 5 years for the most part.

I see tons of older Explorers,F-150's,Rangers,Tahoes and Suburbans but not older Dodge trucks.

Not bad you if dump it in a couple of years..When it comes to trucks I never see old Dodge trucks around..Whenever I am stopped in gridlock all I ever see are new Dodge trucks..Never older ones..It seems they disappear off the streets in less then 5 years for the most part.

I see tons of older Explorers,F-150's,Rangers,Tahoes and Suburbans but not older Dodge trucks.

Do a search on Dodge truck recall and you'll know why :)

They get the Dent Wizard to fix them and then they are resold.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last big hail storm in my state you heard on the radio for weeks after "Our Big Hail Sale"

The big "deal" was they left them "as is" all hail damaged on the lot, and would give you double the factory rebates if you accepted it "as is" so buy a brand new car that's already dented to ****, and they only took off an extra set of factory rebates?

If you bought one and didn't want it dented up, they would repair it at the local pop-up dent removal tents that come into town after a storm, and then you take delivery of it after its "fixed" but don't get any kinda discounts at all, just the regular rebates and such.

And then after about a month the cars they had left with hail damage ended up getting fixed, and advertised as new again, they wouldn't even mention it was on the "hail damage sale"

Back