Solved - Is this noise a bad u-joint? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Is this noise a bad u-joint?

Post number 4 has been selected as best answered.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Alright boys, let me borrow your collective ear for a minute. Listen to the two videos I uploaded below. I was fairly certain when I heard this squeak that it was a bad u-joint, the "angry sparrow" noise, as my Jeeper friends call it. I was 90% sure it was the front joint, but I just got finished pulling the whole front driveshaft out, and surprise! the damn squeak is still there - just as loud and just as annoying. Before I go yanking the rear shaft out, I want to first post these videos of the noise and get your opinion on if it even sounds like a u-joint at all.

The first video is the noise from a stop. Starts off sounding like a creak and then progresses to a loud chirp as I pick up speed - "the angry sparrow". It disappears at roughly 20-25 MPH. The noise is usually only present under acceleration, and not coasting and sounds rotational as it picks up speed as the truck does.

This second vid is the noise audible, then not, then audible, then not, etc. as I step on the gas, then let off and repeat.

Any thoughts or assistance appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL, that is indeed an angry sparrow! Perfect description.
It sounds like a u-joint to me, especially since it stops when not on the accelerator.

Yea, I'm thinking rear joint, maybe.

Anybody else? Please?

For future reference, yes, this was the noise of a bad u-joint. Rear joint in the rear shaft. Completely shot. Will have Pics later.

Back