Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Is this noise a bad u-joint?

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by Paraphoe, March 21, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Paraphoe

Paraphoe Go big or go home Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Willow Grove, PA
      Year and Model:
      '97 XLT
      Alright boys, let me borrow your collective ear for a minute. Listen to the two videos I uploaded below. I was fairly certain when I heard this squeak that it was a bad u-joint, the "angry sparrow" noise, as my Jeeper friends call it. I was 90% sure it was the front joint, but I just got finished pulling the whole front driveshaft out, and surprise! the damn squeak is still there - just as loud and just as annoying. Before I go yanking the rear shaft out, I want to first post these videos of the noise and get your opinion on if it even sounds like a u-joint at all.

The first video is the noise from a stop. Starts off sounding like a creak and then progresses to a loud chirp as I pick up speed - "the angry sparrow". It disappears at roughly 20-25 MPH. The noise is usually only present under acceleration, and not coasting and sounds rotational as it picks up speed as the truck does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsn8g58Yjqw

This second vid is the noise audible, then not, then audible, then not, etc. as I step on the gas, then let off and repeat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y7uilUZmO8

Any thoughts or assistance appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. my pos mounty

my pos mounty Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Land of Corruption
      Year and Model:
      06 F-350
      LOL, that is indeed an angry sparrow! Perfect description.
      It sounds like a u-joint to me, especially since it stops when not on the accelerator.

4. Paraphoe

City, State:
      Willow Grove, PA
      Year and Model:
      '97 XLT
      Yea, I'm thinking rear joint, maybe.

Anybody else? Please?

5. Paraphoe

City, State:
      Willow Grove, PA
      Year and Model:
      '97 XLT
      For future reference, yes, this was the noise of a bad u-joint. Rear joint in the rear shaft. Completely shot. Will have Pics later.

6. Paraphoe

City, State:
      Willow Grove, PA
      Year and Model:
      '97 XLT