Its that time. Im getting some paint. | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Its that time. Im getting some paint.

Well i have been fixing some things lately and it is time for new paint. Its something we are going to do at the house. My dad used to paint for a while and is a all around mech. Its time.

Here is the deal. It has been primer for a year. I sanded it down a few weeks ago for new primer and i have decided to paint the explorer with some color this time. Not gonna spend a lot of money on it. No clear coat or anything. Im not fixing the dents because the min i do and get it all painted i will lay it over on a tree again and have a worse looking spot. From the trim on the doors down are staying black. They will be getting bed liner here in a few weeks. Im also going to do two black stripes down the center of the hood and roof section to do something different. I know someone has a green and white striped explorer so i like it.

This is the prob. I have been wanting orange but im not so sure. Im creating this thread to see what others think. I want the options. I know what i think i would want but i would like to see what others think to.

Here are some current pics.

100_2588.jpg

rear-end-down-again.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If i made the burns part smaller like what is on the car i think i can get it on the front fender like the car. I may do tube doors in the next year so i need to try to make it look good both ways.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Colin Pics made me think of kinda a '70 Boss 302 think going on there;) :thumbsup:

Prohidney_Boss_302_800.jpg

]]]]]]]]]
BURNS
]]]]]]]]]​
:cool:

That's the color you should have painted it. It would have been all Ford instead Of Ford/Slowpar :D

Well i was going to go orange but this green was just sweet. I am all Ford but i just couldnt let this color pass me up.

Well this would have been the Ford Green AKA "Grabber Green":cool:

0t128056.jpg

I actually chose over grabber green. I thought at first that was gonna be the color but then someone made me a spray card of sublime green and i knew what i was gonna use.

I actually chose over grabber green. I thought at first that was gonna be the color but then someone made me a spray card of sublime green and i knew what i was gonna use.

Any tips for painting sence you did it once?

I think I'm just going to use the Rustoleum when I do mine;)

I wish i would have pushed it off one more week to have the extra time. Heck one day would have been great.

Uh its all in your prep work. After that its your conditions. Heat, cool, moisture, gun working properly, and quality of paint.

My gun really gave us a big prob. Thats why i have some light and darks spots. You dont see it in the pic to bad but its for sure there. I am going to make the whole in the lid of the holding tank bigger. That was the prob. Will test on the black.

As of now to make it look better i can sand down and start over. NOT GONNA HAPPEN or i can use a 1000 to 1200 grit paper and water sand it down. Prob gonnna do that after the black. Not sure if i should wet sand before or after the black.

My dad did all the spraying so i can tell you much about that. It seems to me that keeping the speed and the spray distance is all there is to it. With some practice i think i could have done it but it was not worth messing up.

Noo stic-o, dont cross over to the 'dark' side, i like the white with the black bottom and red stripe.

And burns, if they gave you just a base paint that needs a clearcoat, instead of a dull paint that you originally asked for, cant you go complain and get what you actually paid for?

I didnt see your last post before i posted a comment. I probably wouldn't want to start over with all that sanding either.

No because i get a really good deal there and i think i said one pass paint but im second guessing my self. Like i said i rushed this project by a day to get the paint. I didnt spend as much time investigating the paint. Its a ok quality but i may have not said one pass. Im actually ok with doing a clear coat because i will do several layers to help with the scratches that might occur later on.

This napa i go to my dad has a very nice account there. They even give him the discounts that the dealers get. He requlary orders $1000+ of parts and then pays it off. They really are good to us and are ready to see the turn out of the explorer.

Noo stic-o, dont cross over to the 'dark' side, i like the white with the black bottom and red stripe.

Me too, but after the roll, I got some deep scratches in the paint and I'm not going to try to repaint the white:rolleyes: I got to get my fender and pop more of the quarter pannel out then we'll see.;)

Well let me tell you take your time.

I would not want to paint cars for the rest of my life. I have a new respect for the body men and women on the forum......

Well boys thanks for all the ideas tonight. I will be back online tomm to look over the entire thread and try to decide what i am going to do. Im pretty sure but nothing is ever set in stone.

Ok well guess what. I checked by the store and this is going to require a clear coat. ha my luck.

Oh well no back to the decsion making...

DSCF2480.jpg

Well im just going to have two black stripes like this. I dont want to fool with having black on the fenders to.

Im so sick of working on this paint. I would not want to be a painter. ha ha

I may have to redo some more of the green. I water sanded and it does not look to good now

You just need to call it good and get the buffer out!!

I cant buff till it gets clear. Im not sure if i can fix it or not

When it was getting painted the new gun we got kept stopping up. It has the smallest hole in the paint tank and it kept getting stopped up stopping the flow of paint. So there are light and dark stripes. Kinda

Its not this bad now:
paint-looks-stripy.jpg

Back