and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Jacking instructions

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by sr71bb, May 3, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. sr71bb

sr71bb New Member

City, State:
      Norton, Massachusetts
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer sport
      Hello all, i've got a 2001 explorer sport, i've yet to need to jack up the rear of the vehicle for any thing yet. But the jacking instructions say to position the bottle jack under the axle. I keep thinking to myself, that this can't be good for the axle, yet this is what the instructions appear to say. I can't see anywhere else to do it though. On the front, there are hooks to position the jack under. Is this right correct for the rear though?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Arnie897

Arnie897 y=mx+b Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Battle Creek, MI
      Year and Model:
      06 Dodge Powerwagon
      I usually go for right under the pig or under one of the shock mounts.

4. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian Moderator Emeritus EF Vendor

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
      Year and Model:
      First thing I recommend doing is doing away with the factory screw type bottle jack. Quite frankly.. I don't feel comfortable with that thing when it comes to lifting a side of the truck up to change a tire for emergency situations. I recommend using a hydraulic bottle jack. You can fit one perfectly in the same location where the factory jack is located. I keep one in my truck along with my hi-lift jack. I pulled over earlier this week to assist a female Explorer owner. The factory jack slipped off the front jacking point on her truck so it proved to be a lost cause with the jack.

5. alexefron

alexefron Active Member

City, State:
      Rochester, NY
      Year and Model:
      93 XLT
      With the factory bottle jack youre basically stuck using the axles if you want to get the tire off the ground.

6. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
      San Jose, Calif
      Year and Model:
      2003 sport trac
      To simply change a tire, the instructions are correct, you will not hurt anything, just make sure you are on level, hard ground.
      Do not attemp to get under the EX to do any work, the OEM jack is a POS, you could die :eek: