James duff 5.5 lift question/problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

James duff 5.5 lift question/problem

VAUGHN4wd

Reaction score
City, State
Stanwood Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford explorer
Hey guys I have a 91 ex with james duff 5.5 inch lift w/extended radius arms and I'm having a problem with the inner axle popping out of my diff. Lift has been on for about 3 years or so and never had a problem until my last wheeling trip. I had a Detroit in the front no c clip or c clip eliminator installed, wheeled fine for 2+ years that way never having the inner axle pop out on me. Just before the last trip I changed from the Detroit to an arb and did the 44 knuckle conversion and c clip eliminator spring. Last wheeling trip the spring popped the cap out of the inner passenger axle and my inner axle came out of the pumpkin. The duff brackets are double drilled but I have always ran them in the upper holes. About a year ago I had to cut the bracket that holds the drivers beam because it bent over on a rock. Have I been running the beams in the wrong holes of the brackets? I did a trail fix but I want to do it right. Can someone tell me the distance of the last hole for the drivers side beam to the frame because ill have to cab another bracket? Sorry guys I know its a lengthy read but all help is appreciated!

I'm guessing you're talking about the axle drop down brackets? I would guess the double holes are for 5.5"/3.5" lifts, I know other brands have done that.
But I don't see how the amount of lift you're running would matter at all to the axle slipping out. Too much lift could cause a driveshaft to slip out...
Maybe your c clip eliminator spring isn't strong enough, or isn't doing what it's supposed to do in some way.

Back