1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Jefe's 700R4 swap

Discussion in 'Offroad Projects' started by Jefe, August 30, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. chevman90

chevman90 New Member

City, State:
      dade city florida
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '97 xlt
    2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. nak4af

nak4af Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Bellevue, Nebraska
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Go get a junkyard 5.3 GM motor ($400-500), the Advanced Adapters kit ($180) and put it in your Ex. 295 HP/330 TQ for under a grand.

4. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      I'm assuming you mean 4.3 and what would you do about all the electronics. Most states say you need to keep what was on the motor to being with.. Soo, that means all sensors etc and you'll need to get the GM ecu to work on the ford.

I doubt very much that taking a GM motor (efi) and getting it into a Ford (efi) is going to be that easy.

~Mark

5. nak4af

nak4af Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Bellevue, Nebraska
      1993 Explorer Sport
      I mean a 90 degree 5.3 GM generation III/IV V8. Advance adapter kit will mount the newer V8's to the older 700R4/4L60 tranny's. Summit sells Carbed intake manifolds to mount to the newer GM engines that have controlers that are plug and play for Carbed applications. Other than buying it all, it should be an easy swap. Engine mounts should be the only guess work to be done.

There have been a few LS to Mustang swaps done...what would make an Explorer any different?

6. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      If I understood that correctly.. You are going to get an EFI engine, and put on a carb and install it into a vehicle that came with EFI originally?

For areas without emissions I could see that working, but even with Arizona's somewhat liberal conversion/emission rules that would never pass.

From what I've read though, in some areas (I'm "thinking" Kenutcky) there are no emission tests so you could get away with that conversion.

But it is possibly another option, I just doubt it was be as easy as the 700r4 swap on the 4.0 since with the 4.0 there is almost no wiring "changes".

~Mark

7. JTX

JTX Well-Known Member

City, State:
      New Mexico
      94 xlt
      No emission here besides in one city, ;)

8. nak4af

nak4af Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Bellevue, Nebraska
      1993 Explorer Sport
      No emissions in Nebraska and Florida. In Alaska, when you change anything without a C.A.R.B. sticker it's illegal. My KKM intake on my Ex had to be removed every time I went to register it again. Obviously, I would do this conversion with no regard for emmissions. However, the 5.3 probably runs much better than the 4.0. You can get the EFI stuff to work but the cheap way is the carbed setup. (The only reason I'd do this is to get a better tranny and more HP for the dollar. Not to mention the after market suport for these GM engines.) They have controllers that will "plug-and-play" with the GM EFI and will net awesome fuel mileage and power. You just have to pay the extra. I was speaking of the most budget build possible for his 90 degree 700R4.