Joe Dirt's 2000 Ex-El-Tee "Deuce" | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the registry for Wedgie 2.0, who has been affectionately named "Deuce"

From Shad's info to save keystrokes:

Here is the run down:

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L - AWD
Deep Wedgewood Blue
Gray Leather
Yada, yada, yada...

Highlights:

• Transmission rebuilt at 160,000 miles, and filled with synthetic
  • Lifted 2" in front with torsion keys
  • Lifted 3" in back with Add-a-Leaf and Warrior Shackles
  • New Superlift shocks at 166,000 miles
  • 31" x 10.5" tires
  • As much rust as some southern trucks- she's clean...

Interesting fact- it was an XLT fitted with air-ride shocks from the factory. System was disabled with the kit and shocks were put on to avoid costly repair.

Next to Wedgie:

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

Today 1/28/11 was the first car wash.

IMG_1671.jpg

And yes, it needs to be cleaned... :D

IMG_1707.jpg

Um... This is going to be my biggest challenge to date.

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

But it's going to be fine. It's an incredible place to start- the steering wheel isn't even gummy or rolled. I'm very pleased with the canvas... :thumbsup:

Anyway, after the car wash, I snapped some pics for starting point reference.
So, here are our obligatory before pictures...

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

Door seams always oiled

IMG_1688.jpg

Hatch looks brand new as well!

IMG_1698.jpg

Nothing on the rocker seams ...but a paint chip :D

IMG_1687.jpg

Rockers nice. No rust even at the back- just grime and ice. I think the mudflaps really helped...

IMG_1685.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks incredible Joe! Can't wait for springtime to arrive!!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I might have it done by then... lol! :D

Truly amazing finish.

Very impressive, great work Joe. I may have to get that product. My paint is pretty nice, very little chips, just minor swirls because it didn't get a detail last summer. Where did you get it? Any auto parts store I would assume would have it right?

Nope, you can get it online, I got mine at ADS

Unless the store carries the detailer's line of products, (mainly body shop supply stores are the only retail locations that will) you won't find them there. Most auto parts stores only carry the consumer's line of Megs products.

You also need a good DA, the typical wax pushers from WalMart won't have anywhere enough power to run the pads.

Ok, so I did step 2 tonight, which was the Polish/Finishing Wax via a second set of MF discs.

The wax smells like blueberries.

Great- all I could think about was pie while I was waxing.

blueberry-pie-slice.jpg

Blue truck, blueberry wax, so I figured what the hell- I keep it fresh and new, let's enjoy a blueberry lager.

IMG_00232.jpg

Detailing tip- Being that the correction compound is an abrasive, you'll probably end up with some hazing. As good as the pics from last night looked, they were hazy. See this picture for evidence. The right half has been polished, the left half has not. That is why it is important to do a polishing step, especially on a dark paint.

DSCF8001.jpg

After that, since it really doesn't look much different under fake light or in the dark since it's mainly depth of color that was worked today, a few more non-hazy reflections. :)

DSCF8026.jpg

DSCF8031.jpg

...and natural paint color

DSCF8030.jpg

Meguiar's DA Microfiber System... Joe Dirt tested, Joe Dirt approved!

DSCF8021.jpg

That blueberry lager look's like some happy happy joy joy (especially at 8%, it's been a bit cool down here lately) Those shot's of your duco could have been taken by the hubble telescope....Welcome to Joe's Universe.

Joe, you inspire me to want to do some body work on my ex. I was even pricing rockers and doglegs tonight. BTW, the pie looks amazing:D

I like pie.

:D

Continuing to impress! :thumbsup:

keep up good work joe

Got the cowl, wipers, roof rack all painted and put back on, so I backed it outside.

Still need to detail the rocker trim, bumper trim, the bumpers, wheels, wells, and a final wax.

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

I also cleaned the rust streaks and painted the rear window buttons after I saw the pics... :D

IMG_0129.jpg

Looking GREAT man! Ive been outside all day cleaning my bare floor and odds and ends.

Those taillights look awesome too:thumbsup:

You should touch up your hitch ;)

It'll be nice to relax with a coldie once she's all done, ay mate? Look's cleaner than a restuarant plate, furken fantastic!

Joe, seeing that deuce is so clean how are you going to deal with a rainstorm?

Its looking great Joe. I like the lights too. I'd be pleased if my detail job came out 1/2 as good as that.

Joe, seeing that deuce is so clean how are you going to deal with a rainstorm?

Thankfully, $4.00+gas means it won't have to be out of the garage anyway. :D

Oh- the hitch is going to come off and be re-powdercoated when I detail the underside unless I just get a new one. Only thing keeping that one on the truck now is that I don't think that the larger spare would fit behind the "bent style" Hidden Hitch...

Funny nobody mentioned the missing rear wiper blade? :p:

I'm on my 5" phones screen otherwise I would have noticed :D it honestly looks like there is one on there.

Forgot to ask; what exactly are you trying to clean thats "over 30 years old"?

Back