Joe's 1998 Ford Explorer Sport Police Interceptor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joe's 1998 Ford Explorer Sport Police Interceptor

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Hey guys! After much procrastination I figured I would finally make a registry after much of the heavy lifting is finally done!

This is my 1998 Ford Explorer Sport and in the short time I have had it it sure has gotten me through a whole helluva lot!

Photo076.jpg

Here is a picture with my truck next to my brother's cruiser.

Let me start with some basic background; I am an 18 year old high school senior. I go to a vocational school for automotive simply just as a way to get out of regular school, not as something I plan on doing for a living. I come from a law enforcement background; everyone in my family is a cop! I will be going to school to do the same thing in the near future.

G2SM7dca5d0d-ec20-469c-b11f-c61500ac8b0a-43041.jpg

This is a picture of my first truck I got when I was 16; a 2002 Chevy S10. I loved this thing to death! But it sure did fight me, every day I felt like something else would go wrong. The truck just was not practical; my girlfriend always gets me to adventure with her and we could not take this anywhere!

So I sold that truck for $5400 to a guy in Kansas (yes he traveled all the way up to Pennsylvania for it!). This truck sold in mid February 2011.

So onto the search for a new vehicle! I wanted a V8, Manual Transmission, Pick-up truck. After much searching; this was not practical they were all too pricey. Then this gem came up. 1998 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 OHV V6 Manual Transmission and 109,000 miles. All that for only $2200! I could not pass up that deal; I bought it the next day.

This is the day I brought it home (well.. had someone else drive it home, I had never driven a stick before)
Project001.jpg

I came into this truck knowing that it was a Jersey Shore truck; salt water had eaten it most of its life. It needed a new steering rack and a right front brake caliper. That's all it needed in its first stage in its life! Well.. all it needed mechanically, ha!

This truck was ugly as anything; something had to be done! Lucky for me I had a perfect starting point, this truck had never been in one accident! Score!

All nice and clean and say goodbye to those sideboards:
Project004.jpg

Love how it rains right after I wash anything:
Project002.jpg

The interior was quite disgusting, I am still cleaning it! The previous owner was a plumber who just didn't give a care in the world for keeping it clean. So out came the handy-dandy Green Machine.

Project013.jpg

Project012.jpg

Project011.jpg

Project010.jpg

Project007.jpg

Project006.jpg

Project005.jpg

Project008.jpg

Project009.jpg

(pictures are probably out of order; I seem to have lost some as well)

I cleaned up the engine bay as well:
Project014.jpg

Here is a picture outside my bedroom window of my 98' sport to the right and my brother's 97' sport to the left.
Project016.jpg

Fast forward a month or so into about April or May; the first big purchase! I got rid of all those ugly wheels and mismatched and plugged tires:
Photo034.jpg

Photo035.jpg

This picture was taken seconds after I through these wheels and tires on. The wheels are Cragar Soft 8's and the tires are Firestone Destination A/T 30 x 9.5. I couldn't love this combination any more!

Fast forward another month or so and comes the second big purchase; a Setina Push Bar. I had no interest in the cheap brush guards; I wanted the real thing! This bar set me back about $300 but it is nothing but quality.

Here is one in progress shot:
Photo071.jpg

It was pretty simple to get on after you get past putting things on upside down, sideways, crooked and everything else!

Here it is in the parking lot minutes after we finished everything up.

Photo072.jpg

On our trip to Six Flag's Safari this occurred:
Photo088.jpg

EDIT: PLEASE STAND BY IMAGESHACK DECIDED TO BE DIFFICULT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a fellow Pa member!

pictures look good!

glad to see image shack decided to cooperate!

Chapter 2: Our First Tragedies

So here we are on a main road in our town, just the girlfriend and I. I am a very defensive driver and that sure paid off on this day! The driver two cars ahead slammed on the brakes causing a Ford Ranger in front of us to do the same, being two car lengths behind the Ranger I figured I had plenty of time! Well.. when I slammed on the brakes it just went right to the floor. Nothing. The brake line had blown right above the fuel tank, so here I am at 55 MPH with only an E Brake, Transmission and front brakes.. Lucky this is my Explorer and not my old truck, we decided to take the grass on the right and downshift from 5th into 2nd all in a split second. That was crazy!

We got the ol' truck towed away to our local mechanic. Replaced a good portion of the brake lines with lines guaranteed to outlive the truck!

Photo174.jpg

Photo176.jpg

Photo169.jpg

Photo170.jpg

Photo171.jpg

Photo172.jpg

Photo173.jpg

Photo175.jpg

$400 dollars later and we are back on the road together! No hard feelings for my Explorer, I forgive it!

Fast forward to the beginning of July, through a small off-road excursion through Centralia we occured a gnarly exhaust leak. The pipe broke off right after the flanges! After driving around for a week I decided that it's a "pay me now or pay me later" situation and I just replaced from the cats back with all new and shiny things!

$275 dollars later and we are once again back on the road!

Chapter 3 Preview: It's hot!

Check out the max temperature here with my Explorer in the background:

Photo1685.jpg

And just you guys wait until tonight when I get all pictures and videos up; the third big purchase. Lights!

Here is just a preview of one set of lights installed now:
Photo1697.jpg

I will be writing more tonight after the sun goes down! Gonna show off all the new lights.

nice sport u got there

Another Pa member, the Ex looks good! I like it.

Good looking truck! I use a Little Green for my steam cleaning too!

Sport

Very nice Sport X! kinda looks like mine...lol

Hey guys! After much procrastination I figured I would finally make a registry after much of the heavy lifting is finally done!

This is my 1998 Ford Explorer Sport and in the short time I have had it it sure has gotten me through a whole helluva lot!

View attachment 251470
Here is a picture with my truck next to my brother's cruiser.

Let me start with some basic background; I am an 18 year old high school senior. I go to a vocational school for automotive simply just as a way to get out of regular school, not as something I plan on doing for a living. I come from a law enforcement background; everyone in my family is a cop! I will be going to school to do the same thing in the near future.

View attachment 251471
This is a picture of my first truck I got when I was 16; a 2002 Chevy S10. I loved this thing to death! But it sure did fight me, every day I felt like something else would go wrong. The truck just was not practical; my girlfriend always gets me to adventure with her and we could not take this anywhere!

So I sold that truck for $5400 to a guy in Kansas (yes he traveled all the way up to Pennsylvania for it!). This truck sold in mid February 2011.

So onto the search for a new vehicle! I wanted a V8, Manual Transmission, Pick-up truck. After much searching; this was not practical they were all too pricey. Then this gem came up. 1998 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 OHV V6 Manual Transmission and 109,000 miles. All that for only $2200! I could not pass up that deal; I bought it the next day.

This is the day I brought it home (well.. had someone else drive it home, I had never driven a stick before)
View attachment 251472

I came into this truck knowing that it was a Jersey Shore truck; salt water had eaten it most of its life. It needed a new steering rack and a right front brake caliper. That's all it needed in its first stage in its life! Well.. all it needed mechanically, ha!

This truck was ugly as anything; something had to be done! Lucky for me I had a perfect starting point, this truck had never been in one accident! Score!

All nice and clean and say goodbye to those sideboards:
View attachment 251473

Love how it rains right after I wash anything:
View attachment 251474

The interior was quite disgusting, I am still cleaning it! The previous owner was a plumber who just didn't give a care in the world for keeping it clean. So out came the handy-dandy Green Machine.

View attachment 251475
View attachment 251476
View attachment 251477
View attachment 251478
View attachment 251479
View attachment 251480
View attachment 251481
View attachment 251482
View attachment 251483
(pictures are probably out of order; I seem to have lost some as well)

I cleaned up the engine bay as well:
View attachment 251484

Here is a picture outside my bedroom window of my 98' sport to the right and my brother's 97' sport to the left.
View attachment 251485

Fast forward a month or so into about April or May; the first big purchase! I got rid of all those ugly wheels and mismatched and plugged tires:
View attachment 251486

View attachment 251487

This picture was taken seconds after I through these wheels and tires on. The wheels are Cragar Soft 8's and the tires are Firestone Destination A/T 30 x 9.5. I couldn't love this combination any more!

Fast forward another month or so and comes the second big purchase; a Setina Push Bar. I had no interest in the cheap brush guards; I wanted the real thing! This bar set me back about $300 but it is nothing but quality.

Here is one in progress shot:
View attachment 251488

It was pretty simple to get on after you get past putting things on upside down, sideways, crooked and everything else!

Here it is in the parking lot minutes after we finished everything up.

View attachment 251489

On our trip to Six Flag's Safari this occurred:
View attachment 251490

EDIT: PLEASE STAND BY IMAGESHACK DECIDED TO BE DIFFICULT
@BurgerKingFootLettuce yours doesnt happen to be this one, right?

Looks identical.
Oh wow, see I thought I had an account from before! This is from when I was in high school ha. I went through some old bins and couldn’t find my old registration p, I’m looking for the VIN to try to track this down. This is funny to see again.

Oh wow, see I thought I had an account from before! This is from when I was in high school ha. I went through some old bins and couldn’t find my old registration p, I’m looking for the VIN to try to track this down. This is funny to see again.
haha! love the s10 too! remember seeing this one when i was looking at brush guards push bars etc before winch bumper

haha! love the s10 too! remember seeing this one when i was looking at brush guards push bars etc before winch bumper
Well I found the VIN today and bought the Carfax and it’s still on the road! It has over 200k miles now and it’s in Williamsport PA. It gets serviced at a dealership and I’m going to try to get ahold of the dealer and see if they can get me in contact with the owner. I would love to buy it back, whatever condition it’s in.

If this all ends up happening and I buy it back I’ll make a new thread for the saga.

Well I found the VIN today and bought the Carfax and it’s still on the road! It has over 200k miles now and it’s in Williamsport PA. It gets serviced at a dealership and I’m going to try to get ahold of the dealer and see if they can get me in contact with the owner. I would love to buy it back, whatever condition it’s in.

If this all ends up happening and I buy it back I’ll make a new thread for the saga.
any luck?

any luck?
So I called the dealership it had been serviced at and was informed the owner is actually an employee there. I left my name and number and said to pass along the message I’d love to buy it back, aaand I’ve heard nothing since that day. Did they write down the wrong number? Did the message never get relayed? Were they weirded out? Who knows. But for now the trail ends there.

So I called the dealership it had been serviced at and was informed the owner is actually an employee there. I left my name and number and said to pass along the message I’d love to buy it back, aaand I’ve heard nothing since that day. Did they write down the wrong number? Did the message never get relayed? Were they weirded out? Who knows. But for now the trail ends there.
hmmm if its local wonder if ya can go druve down there and if ya show proof of prior ownership maybe? dunno i mean if someone called me and left a number im not 100% sure id call back but if they came in at least id be happy to chat with em, but dunno

edit: realize its not local argh

wondrer if ya can send em an email with some old pics of it and what notso they can confirm it matches? or someone in PA can go chexk it out? any buddies still therw?

I got ahold of the owner today in this now winding thread spanning a decade and two accounts. He has basically rehabbed it but kept a lot of it original. New trans, rear end, replaced rockers and new wheels. But it’s like how I set it up all those years ago.

He would be open to selling it once he finds something he’d want to replace it with. Gee what a journey. Who knows when/if I’ll ever actually get it back. But it’ll sure be fun if I do.
6C8DF9BC-132A-4A38-9853-9170243F65D3.jpeg
F03EB548-6A1F-4599-8B0C-44C0F4DE5E36.jpeg 3E942BBB-FA56-485A-A4E1-D4BCEAB9AC94.jpeg

I got ahold of the owner today in this now winding thread spanning a decade and two accounts. He has basically rehabbed it but kept a lot of it original. New trans, rear end, replaced rockers and new wheels. But it’s like how I set it up all those years ago.

He would be open to selling it once he finds something he’d want to replace it with. Gee what a journey. Who knows when/if I’ll ever actually get it back. But it’ll sure be fun if I do.
View attachment 436822 View attachment 436823 View attachment 436824
still looks a good deal like the original! glad to hear ya got a hold of the owner!

Back