Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon

As she sits now,
017.jpg

019.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

018.jpg

But it didn't start out like this.

We returned from our trip to Colorado Sept 2009 to find this waiting in the yard.

It needs a few little sumthuns--but it is a great start I do think.
Here is where we begin to take over the work started by trukmajik and dejello

94explorer001.jpg

94explorer003.jpg

94explorer002.jpg

94explorer004.jpg

94explorer007.jpg

94explorer006.jpg

94explorer005.jpg

9-11-2009092.jpg

9-11-2009090.jpg

updated pics ^^^^^how it was when I got it

Now here is how it looks as of 4-1-2010

got the wheels all shiny!

truck002.jpg

frostbite001.jpg

truck001.jpg

truck006.jpg

truck005.jpg

truck004.jpg

truck003.jpg

and as of 8-5-2010

IMG_1105.jpg

with swaybar^^^

without sway bar

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

revised shock towers and more flex-Big thanks to Dkchrist for coming over to weld em in. I owe him big time!!

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

With a top

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

LED rock lights

IMG_1925.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm: Updates. I hope to see this rig in person say around March??? Joined by another white 4dr SAS explorer, will have all kinds of 4dr ex running around with SAS. Any way if things lighten up it a while, maybe we can come out and lend a hand to make sure suspension and drivetrain is all ready to go, notsure if i missed it while reading but have u found engine yet? and are you gonna stay with auto or swap to 5spd?

Brad--are you here yet?

Yeah, there are a few less than stellar things I have found while looking this over, however, they are nothing major.
The suspension, and axles, will be torn down for rebuild and powdercoating, that is for sure. I want it to stick out, yet look tasteful.

Also, I would like to extend and wrist the radius arms. ( I think)

A better shock support bar for the rear would be nice. I have to figure something out back there.

As for the engine, I have one located and waiting for me, out of a 96. If the present block looks good when I pull the heads-I will probably try a heads up rebuild in the truck using the 95tm heads from the 96 engine.

The auto trans fluid is very nice and red. I plan on running the auto setup until it beaks, without worry, as I am stocking up parts for a full manual swap when that happens.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The transmission was rebuilt right before the motor went out.

Well thats good that tranny was redone, run it until it's toast! then def swap. Yea radius arms was the big thing I saw in picture that needed little help, but wont take, much, honestly if u want awesome trail capabilites and some very stout arms, i would invest in aset of Duff Longarms like mine is Running. Absolutely love them!! With them Blue, and explorer white, throw some red in there and make a good looking rig. What gear ration does it have??

Any idea what it weighs? I'm curious to know how much weight is lost by cutting off the back half

Steve, I'd say it probably only lost 100-125 lbs. The 3 windows probably only weigh around 10pounds each and the roof is't going to be all that heavy.

Now John...after looking at this pic

94explorer004.jpg

I'd like to point out something you should consider. This cage is likely less structural than the stock roof. If you're going to make this a hardcore wheeler it needs to be added onto. There is no vertical support at the B pillar. With the way the cross bars have a bend there is nothing keeping this thing from pushing to tops of both doors closer together and knocking that thing way out of whack in the event of a rollover or even laying it on it's side. I would think you should run some vertical B pillars and diagonal bracing making an "X" behind the front seats and the rear seats. Bare minimum a single diagonal brace in one of the positions to help keep it in the same shape.

Steve, I'd say it probably only lost 100-125 lbs. The 3 windows probably only weigh around 10pounds each and the roof is't going to be all that heavy.

Now John...after looking at this pic

94explorer004.jpg

I'd like to point out something you should consider. This cage is likely less structural than the stock roof. If you're going to make this a hardcore wheeler it needs to be added onto. There is no vertical support at the B pillar. With the way the cross bars have a bend there is nothing keeping this thing from pushing to tops of both doors closer together and knocking that thing way out of whack in the event of a rollover or even laying it on it's side. I would think you should run some vertical B pillars and diagonal bracing making an "X" behind the front seats and the rear seats. Bare minimum a single diagonal brace in one of the positions to help keep it in the same shape.

Thanks for pointing this out. Yes, there is work to be finished in this area also. X's in the roof , diagonals for the uprights and rear diagonals with shock mounts?

Now we're talking. I don't know everything about safety or cages, but I've learned a lot in the past 2 years. I know you're at a crossroads with everything and just wanted to make sure you noted that. It's good to hear some more work is going into this. I love the rag top idea, it's unique but very functional. With a little extra strength built into this, it would be a fun truck to move the doors easily removable.

yeah I just went out and weighed some extra parts;)

Complete back door minus glass 58 1/2lbs.
Back hatch glass 19 1/2lbs.
Side windows 11lbs

Total 100lbs. And the roof and D pillars are not much more, so I'd say your right on Danny;)

You will loose alot more weight with the doors off in the summer. Id recommend that also. This is very good starting point thoe, with little more bracing to cage like DanyBoy suggested, put and X in the roof, brace the B pillar with upright and then and X behind front seats, then good to go.

Hmm 4.10s that wont help life of your auto, but better than it could be.

Well, today Sparksaflyin drove me down to Seth247's house in Tulsa, where we picked up a known well running OHV engine.

I'm going to start the swap asap.

Good to see things are coming together. If you need anything Jon let me know.

Did you guys make it back alright?

Right on. Did you get the computer also? Sure would have made for an easier swap being this was a California truck.

The title is being FedEx'd today at noon. You should see it in a couple of days.

I believe the CA computer is de-tuned a bit, but thats about the only difference?

I know CA trucks in 93 had EGR, where most 93's do not, other then that any other changes?
Does your 93 have EGR?

Jon gasket match the metal upper and lower intakes and use them on that 96 engine
Now is a good time to look around for some used Borla or JBA headers... they help a little on the old OHV with other breathing mods, the OHV can make some good power if you can pump a bunch of air through it

I love this truck, so glad to see you get it!!
Your journey to the dark side is almost complete!!

Well.
I acquired Seth247's leftover 4.0 from his v8 swap. I know this is a running engine, so it will be the one I use for the time being. I do plan on a rebuilt engine down the road.

Today I decided to throw a battery in this thing and see if the engine had one last push left in it. Earlier I had drained the crank case of all water and oil. Today I opened the drain plug and about a cup of water came out.

I looked around, funny thing this fancy griffin radiator has no drain valve that I can fiind. Hmmm
Anyway-I poured some used oil in, got all the connection ran, and bled the fuel rail a few times, until the liquid no longer looked like mountain dew.

I then threw a seat back in, turned the key and after about 5 seconds of cranking with the skinny pedal floored, the old gal came to life!! She smoked in various colors, but it was definitely firing on all cylinders. I am pretty sure it has been about 2 years since the engine was started.
I shifted into drive, and she pulled right into her new spot on the driveway, right near the replacement engine. The swap starts soon. Right now I am just thankful I was able to get it into my uphill driveway this easy.

Out of curiosity I checked the dipstick. Yup. choco mocha pudding. There is a huge internal coolant leak, this makes me assume a head is cracked at the least.

Jamie, I missed your last post. I will check for egr, but I am pretty sure the new engine has none.

Back