Josh's 4 door 1st gen explorer crawler (SGT Ex) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Josh's 4 door 1st gen explorer crawler (SGT Ex)

Magnaflow has a direct CA approved replacement kit if I remember correctly.

Well, the check engine light isn't on, so that's good. lol

I think the visual inspection part of smog is the stupidest ####ing thing on the planet. As long as the car is putting less polution in the air than it was in factory form, wtf does it matter if it has some special smog pump or air inlet temperature meter reading charcoal canister device crap. /rant

Edit: Yes, magnaflow has a direct bolt in replacement and CA compliant universal ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got Ex back on the road yesterday. Went to the scrap yard on Saturday and picked up 2 new headlight harness pig tails, the transmission tunnel cover, and 2 electronic shift control modules for the 4wd system. had the time to install everything yesterday and wah lah! We have 4Lo again:bounce:

I put the new trans tunnel cover on, I made sure to add an o ring so the shifter lever wouldn't rub.
0154274579172069_6451837130623589854_n_zpscu0p5bli.jpg

Magnaflow has a direct CA approved replacement kit if I remember correctly.

Well, the check engine light isn't on, so that's good. lol

I think the visual inspection part of smog is the stupidest ####ing thing on the planet. As long as the car is putting less polution in the air than it was in factory form, wtf does it matter if it has some special smog pump or air inlet temperature meter reading charcoal canister device crap. /rant

Edit: Yes, magnaflow has a direct bolt in replacement and CA compliant universal ones.

They do indeed! I'm running one under my truck

A thought occurred to me, can you not leave this rig tagged in Kentucky while being stationed in California? That would make you exempt from CA inspection wouldn't it?

Active military transferred to California are not required to register their vehicles in California, as long as they remain currently registered in the military members home state. Same with driver licenses.

Active military transferred to California are not required to register their vehicles in California, as long as they remain currently registered in the military members home state. Same with driver licenses.

I thought that should have been the case, but I know California is different.

I was active duty for over ten years, and I didn't have to abide by other states registration requirements with my vehicle as long as I had current stuff.

I'm not active duty anymore gents. I'm just a fat vet now. lol

I do. but I'm not active anymore, so I couldn't legally run the military tag from KY to avoid smog.

But there has to be some type of leniency on out of state transfer vehicles. I'm sure it would require a visit to the ref, but I would think there would be something for vehicles that were legal in one state emissions wise, but the owner is now a resident of CA

I do. but I'm not active anymore, so I couldn't legally run the military tag from KY to avoid smog.

But there has to be some type of leniency on out of state transfer vehicles. I'm sure it would require a visit to the ref, but I would think there would be something for vehicles that were legal in one state emissions wise, but the owner is now a resident of CA

Every state is different but typically there is zero difference for out of state or in state emission checks. Each state mandates as they do most and won't accept another states rules. That's been my experience.

well ****.

What about California emissions vehicles vs non-ca emission vehicles? Any of you have experience with that? I am not sure if this truck ever came with the extra goodies, but I also don't want to spend money on useless visual emissions equipment either. I'm all about the truck meeting the sniffer test, it's the visual test I'm worried about with both rigs

well ****.

What about California emissions vehicles vs non-ca emission vehicles? Any of you have experience with that? I am not sure if this truck ever came with the extra goodies, but I also don't want to spend money on useless visual emissions equipment either. I'm all about the truck meeting the sniffer test, it's the visual test I'm worried about with both rigs

I took a few classes on emissions several years ago. All vehicles have to have the original emission parts, or CARB legal parts to pass emissions in California. My Explorer is a 49 state car, and it passes just fine. I moved a bunch of the emissions stuff around under the hood, but its all there.

I took a few classes on emissions several years ago. All vehicles have to have the original emission parts, or CARB legal parts to pass emissions in California. My Explorer is a 49 state car, and it passes just fine. I moved a bunch of the emissions stuff around under the hood, but its all there.

Thanks sir.

I'm wondering about a 49 state legal exhaust. I am currently in one of the other 49 states, I wonder if the ref would make me replace a brand new exhaust that of course has the 49 state replacement cats and manifolds, and has all the original 49 state emission parts under the hood? I am only interested because I can get 49 state parts a lot cheaper, and if I still have a 49 state vehicle, and live in one of those 49 states, why install the more specific CA specific stuff if I don't have to? mainly just thinking outloud

I'd go to an inspection station and talk to a tech. You might find a loophole, exception or other bit if information that makes things easy for you. You've got nothing to loose at this point...

It's not a loophole, it's the law. California allows out of state vehicles to be registered there. If it's a 49 state car, it only has to pass 49 state emissions. They tried to pull some crap several years ago, and lost in court.

It's not a loophole, it's the law. California allows out of state vehicles to be registered there. If it's a 49 state car, it only has to pass 49 state emissions. They tried to pull some crap several years ago, and lost in court.

Man I am sure glad to see that! 49 state exhaust in KY it is!

Now the Ranger on the other hand... That might be staying registered in KY for a while.

they don't really say much of anything about transferring an out of state vehicle when you're moving out of state. Then again, guys like us are probably not the norm.

Looks like there are 3 refs in SDC, so once i get back, I'll start there. In the meantime, I have downloaded the laws and regs manual related to smog check to study. There are provisions for modified vehicles from what the asktheref.org website says, and it looks to be a pain in the ass, but it is definitely something worth checking into.

I think the sarge will pass the sniffer test once it has new exhaust on it. The ranger has already failed because the engine in it is older than the body's title. I sold the old cab and title so I'm stuck on that one. Gonna take it to the ref too once I get it out there. Haven't decided which one I will be taking with me 1st.

I don't think you are ever going to be able to register the Ranger with an engine older than the frame. California law, as far as I remember, requires an engine for frame year or newer, that is available for that model vehicle.

My 700R4 trans is apparently not California legal, but so far, no one has noticed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think you are ever going to be able to register the Ranger with an engine older than the frame. California law, as far as I remember, requires an engine for frame year or newer, that is available for that model vehicle.

My 700R4 trans is apparently not California legal, but so far, no one has noticed.

The frame is a 94, the original D-Ranged I started with. The cab and title are the tan 2001 I stole the body off of.

And yes, you are correct. The engine has to be the same year or newer, and have all the factory emissions equipment. I never seen anything relating to a transmission.

But there is a special vehicle provision for vehicles that are assembled from multiple vehicles. They are labeled as a kit car, and are issued a SPCN title. They are also not eligible for resale in the state from what I have read so far. That's the avenue I'm going to try and go with for the Ranger, because that's exactly what it is. For more info on that truck, click the link below.

As for the Sarge, new exhaust and a tune up and I think that ol gal will be ready

Back