Just got a great deal a few months ago | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got a great deal a few months ago

Well my fears about the tires came to fruition today. Left work and my rear tire blew on interstate 590.. At Firestone now, they don't make the destination at for my size. Getting 2 destination le2s. Its all they had in my size..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well my fears about the tires came to fruition today. Left work and my rear tire blew on interstate 590.. At Firestone now, they don't make the destination at for my size. Getting 2 destination le2s. Its all they had in my size..
I'm glad you are okay, take it easy there and be safe.

Thanks! I was lucky it happened on a straight part of the interstate, was doing i would guess 60-75 at the time. Could have been much worse had it happened on a high speed ramp!

Thanks! I was lucky it happened on a straight part of the interstate, was doing i would guess 60-75 at the time. Could have been much worse had it happened on a high speed ramp!
Wow, also glad to hear you are ok. How was the handling when it blew out at such high speed? Rear tire seems even scarier. Lucky the tread didn't separate and lock the wheel.

Well, it felt like things got really loose, and I was in high wind. The back of the truck shimmied, wiggled gently but enough to alert and scare you a bit. Then came a boom, followed by wicked vibration and thump thump thump thump.. I was on a 3 lane highway , in the left lane. So I pulled off on the left side of the road. I was actually pleased how well it handled with a flat..

The main reason people get into trouble with SUV's when they have a flat/blowout is that they over-react/over-correct when the vehicle swerves. You can't drive an SUV like it's a sedan, because if you get them sideways they are likely to roll over due to their high center of gravity. To help lessen the possibility of having a flat/blowout, check you tires (at least visually) every time your buy gas. Replace tires in a timely fashion. Don't drive on 12 + year old tires at hwy speeds even if they still have plenty of tread left. Like radiator hoses, they fail from the inside. Check your tire pressure monthly with a reliable tire pressure gauge. When the seasons change your tire pressure can go up or down 3-4 PSI without loosing any air.

The main reason people get into trouble with SUV's when they have a flat/blowout is that they over-react/over-correct when the vehicle swerves. You can't drive an SUV like it's a sedan, because if you get them sideways they are likely to roll over due to their high center of gravity. To help lessen the possibility of having a flat/blowout, check you tires (at least visually) every time your buy gas. Replace tires in a timely fashion. Don't drive on 12 + year old tires at hwy speeds even if they still have plenty of tread left. Like radiator hoses, they fail from the inside. Check your tire pressure monthly with a reliable tire pressure gauge. When the seasons change your tire pressure can go up or down 3-4 PSI without loosing any air.

Back