Just got my Crossroads ZT-18-ss Trailer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got my Crossroads ZT-18-ss Trailer

Travel trailer is model ZT-18-ss and made by Crossroads. From bumper to hitch is 22ft, single axle. Actual dry weight is 3723lbs. I drove it home today, 3 hour trip, with lots of hills; some 13deg or so. I have Ford explorer 2016, Limited with WDH and sway control. I have the regular V6 engine (non-turbo) with factory tow package.

I found the Explorer has plenty of power to drag this thing. I kept TOW button pushed in most of trip and tach would sit just under 4k rpm. I was happy the tranny wasn't doing lots of shifting, but found after I crested hills, it would not drop the rpm's (shift up) quickly. I hit the paddles and it seemed to appreciate the higher gear as it dropped to 2200rpm for much of the downhills. I found the standard mirrors were excellent. You certainly cannot see behind trailer, but I could see to the back corner of trailer thus would know when its safe to change lanes. All in all, I FINALLY got used to the engine running at 4k rpm. Its noticeably loud, but no vibration. I found increasing the stereo a bit helped drown the engine noise.

I got this version for the Lane-Keeping-Assist (which is excellent !!) so the turbo engine was not an option (I cannot justify the Platinum cost).

Now I need to find out how to shut off the backup beeper/watch. Those sensors are not needed when towing as the trailer is always going to set them off.

I did so much research before buying so I hope others can use my findings.

I would post picture of setup, but I am not permitted ????

Back