Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Just Ordered my 2017 Explorer Limited

Discussion in '2018 - 2019 Ford Explorer Order Status Threads' started by fatboyO, January 1, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. fatboyO

fatboyO Member

City, State:
      Toronto
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2017 Explorer Limited
      My Ex arrived at the dealer on march 8th.

I called them on the 9th and they eventually verified that they have it.

Now to find time to go down during the day and inspect it, take some video and photos and take delivery....can't seem to find any available time maybe next Friday...go figure....another week... hope nothing happens to it while it's sitting around at the dealer waiting for me....

As we haven't bought a new vehicle in a very, very, very long time, I want this to be a memorable family event for all of us especially my kids.., they were involved in test drives and ultimately helping select which vehicle and colour combos.

Will keep you posted....

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. fatboyO

fatboyO Member

City, State:
      Toronto
      2017 Explorer Limited
      Now waiting for my Husky floor mats, Gotilla wheel locks, Ford bug deflector and Weatherteck side window wind/rain deflectors to come in.

4. can0n4

can0n4 New Member

2017 XLT
      Congrats on your vehicle finally arriving! Mine is still in processing today. I'm actually looking to do a lot of the additional items you said were doing as well. Deflectors, gas lock, and husky contours. Not to sound redundant but would still love to see pics of all of those items on your vehicle. When you're ready. Would help justify purchasing items for a vehicle that has yet to exist! Haha.

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Just picked up my front Husky liners this morning but they are still in the box sitting in the garage.:)
      Hope they don't sell your Explorer before you get time to pick it up.;)

Peter

6. fatboyO

fatboyO Member

City, State:
      Toronto
      2017 Explorer Limited
      Go figure, been having fantastic spring weather up here in the Toronto area and plenty of rain this past month.... all the winter salt has been washed away so I figured, I'll get my Ex at the end of the week and drive it on clean dry roads over to Krown Rustproofing for its initial spray down....

Wrong!!!!!

Got super cold a few days ago and now we're supposed to have a major winter storm tracking in on Monday thru wednesday. CRAP!

Roads will be wet and covered with tons of salt...wanted to avoid the salt exposure to the polished wheels and body till after I got it rustproofed.

And my Ex will be sitting somewhere in the dealers lot covered in snow... that in itself isn't a problem. Snow itself has never harmed any vehicle. And I actually love to drive through major snow storms.

The problem may happen when some lot boy is told to go get my Ex and clear it off so they can prep it for me. There's the potential of him simply using whatever old brush or broom loaded with debris/ sand etc to remove the snow.... runing that thing across ( rather than along the lines of the vehicle) the the freshly painted surfaces... enormous potential for light scratches that if happens will drive me nuts.

I hope I'm just being paranoid, but something tells me that this is a real possibility and the dealer can't really do anything about it once and if the damage is done...it's not like they can simply get me a another one....maybe polish it up or something.

I guess we'll just have to see how things shake down this week.

7. fatboyO

fatboyO Member

City, State:
      Toronto
      2017 Explorer Limited
      Well, it finally arrived!!! Yay

Got it on St Patrick's Day and it was sunny and not too cold.

All went really smoothly and the dealer had installed the ford cross rails and rear bumper protector. Unfortunately, my ford slash guards did not come in on time. So, dealer will install them when they arrive and offered to install my Ford Bug Deflector at no additional charge.

Still waiting for those and a little thing of touch up paint.

Oh yes, the dealer had new winters installed on new black steel rims ready and waiting so I could take them home for next winter.

Other than that I installed the Husky floor matts in all 3 rows.... love their fit and finish and was really shocked at how little they weighed.

Also installed Gorilla wheel locks and a Ford locking cas cap.... very cool ,.. unlike mcquards wheel locks, they have a smooth outter ring that if clamped by vice grips, simply spin around.

Drove the Ex straight from the dealer to my Local Krown Rust control guy... really lucky as the fellow that sprayed my 97 riviera some 14 years ago remembers me and how particular I was about what I wanted and didn't want sprayed at the time, so I knew he would do a really thorough job as he did in the past..., and at this place you can see what they are doing... very happy with them.

The very next day, Saturday, I had a business appointment so I took the Ex and it was cold, wet with wet snow showers so my Ex got a taste of rain, snow and plenty of salt with under 15kms on it.

Couple days later I tried to install the side window wind deflectors, but it was too cold outside and I couldn't flex them enough for an easy fit, so decided to wait till it's warmer.... didn't want to snap/ break them.

So love the truck and very slowly ploughing through the manual trying to figure out on what sub levels of the menus everything is..,, so much technology and it's all buried in Sync somewhere.

Sorry for the Delay posting the update... been very busy with work, reading the manual and detailing my 97 Riviera as need to sell it now... love that car... but it's time for a new owner now.

I promise I'll get to the photos as soon as its sunnier outside and I have time to wash it.

8. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
    9. fatboyO

fatboyO Member

City, State:
      Toronto
      2017 Explorer Limited
    10. Pete6114

Pete6114 Active Member

City, State:
      SW Ontario, Canada
      2017 EX Plat
      I've had those stick-on side window wind deflectors on a dozen or so vehicles, most installed by the dealer, few by myself. Many dealer installs had started to come loose at the front end-facing the wind, usually after 2-3 years. The best luck i had with them staying on without coming loose is on my own installs: wait for a hot day and let both the vehicle and the visors heat up. (You'll want the glue nice and warm) Once installed, i put masking tape on the parts that have the glue-strips, putting pressure on them over night without driving the car.
      Let us know what you think of the (value) Hankook Tires.....

11. Bstard2001

Bstard2001 Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Long Beach, NY
      17 Explorer Sport
      I know its here somewhere but I couldn't find it...do you guys know when the cutoff date is to order the 2017s?

12. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
    13. Bstard2001

Bstard2001 Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Long Beach, NY
      17 Explorer Sport
      As always thank you for your prompt responses ;)

14. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      June 30th is the last day. And that does not mean it will be built. As the MY winds down, options become limited and out of stock due to Ford not wanting extra parts left over for builds.

Example, I had a fusion Titanium and SE ordered and only the SE is being built because of part shortages.

15. jtwn

jtwn New Member

City, State:
      Ontario
      2017 Explorer Limited
      That's a really long wait... I put a deposit down on a 2017 Limited in Smoked Quartz almost four weeks ago and still don't have a VIN, I hope I don't have to wait as long as you did :). I hope you're enjoying your new baby.

16. fatboyO

fatboyO Member

City, State:
      Toronto
      2017 Explorer Limited
      Hang in there... it's worth the wait... and when it comes you'll very quickly forget the wait .

17. kmarnes

kmarnes Active Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      2017 Explorer Sport
      @fatboyO Do you find the splash guards help at all? In particular my Explorer is prone to getting the rear camera filthy in any sort of wet conditions just by normal driving. I always have to use the rear-washer to clean it before I can back up. In dry weather, it's fine. I did a mountain pass trip in the winter and the entire back of my car was covered in what I can only describe as "pale caramel ice". Chipped it off at a gas station. Just wondering if mudflaps will mitigate this.

[​IMG]

18. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      ^^ I had splash guards on my 2011 and they mainly served to keep the lower body panels a little cleaner and stopped much of the slush from getting on the body. They also keep the spray down for following vehicles. I doubt they would make much of a difference in the situation you were in. An SUV by its design is prone to the build up you had. I did not install them on my 2017 and didn't really notice any difference with debris build up on the back end.
      http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/back-always-dirty.361840/
      http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/splash-guards.306439/

Peter

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    19. fatboyO

fatboyO Member

City, State:
      Toronto
      2017 Explorer Limited
      I've only got 1200 Kim's on mine and haven't really driven through any muddy areas so I won't have any useful input at this time .....

I did however notice that my back window gets far more dirty under normal driving conditions than our van.

20. kmarnes

kmarnes Active Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      2017 Explorer Sport
      Thanks, that's what I was afraid of (plus what Peter said). Something special about the Explorer that allows so much mess to accumulate on the back, which is more than any other vehicle I've driven. Not end of the world, only slightly annoying. I do go through more wash than ever -- use it mostly to clean the cameras, which is a nice feature.

21. Pete6114

Pete6114 Active Member

City, State:
      SW Ontario, Canada
      2017 EX Plat
      Except for our Mustang GT, which is Black and gets driven only on sunny days, both our new Explorer and my F-150 are Silver for one reason only, and that is because Silver hides the dirt/dust better then any other color and regular washing is a waste of time living down a dirt road. The back end of all vehicles gets dirty/dusty first regardless of us having splashguards or not.

22. jtwn

jtwn New Member

City, State:
      Ontario
      2017 Explorer Limited
      How long did it take to ship your Explorer to Southern Ontario? Mine is showing "awaiting shipment" on cotus with a May 23 delivery date. Reeeaaally hoped to get it before the long weekend but I don't know if that'll happen :dunno:

23. Pete6114

Pete6114 Active Member

City, State:
      SW Ontario, Canada
      2017 EX Plat
      Ordered on FEB 13
      In order processing-Unscheduled-clean on March 15
      Scheduled for March 30 (on March 16)
      Produced on March 31
      Awaiting shipment-released on April 3
      Shipped to another location on April 4
      Shipped to dealer- delivered on April 7
      6 1/2 weeks total

As you can see, once it was released to be shipped it took 4 days. With that delivery date of yours, it's not build yet. Do you have a build date or a window sticker? Or a VIN?
      Your dealer can tell you the day it's scheduled to be build, unless the order to be build hasn't been sent to the plant yet. Once that happens the sticker will be available for download shortly. Build date shows on it too.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    24. jtwn

jtwn New Member

City, State:
      Ontario
      2017 Explorer Limited
      Thanks Pete! Will cotus display the progress of the shipping for me? I mean to ask how did you find out it was shipped to another location?

25. Pete6114

Pete6114 Active Member

City, State:
      SW Ontario, Canada
      2017 EX Plat
      No. Cotus is better then nothing i suppose but shows only part of what's going on. The vehicle visibility site dealers have is much better and shows everything. I used to have access to it when i still worked for ford, but i'm retired now

26. kmarnes

kmarnes Active Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      2017 Explorer Sport
      I wonder if that "other location" is some sort of customs clearance step and/or distribution holding area before going out to individual dealers.