Just replaced the Blend Door Actuator on my Gen IV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just replaced the Blend Door Actuator on my Gen IV

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
It was very easy to do. Took about 15min. Easier than Gen. III because the panel next to the lower part of the driver's leg just pops off. Removing the center console is not necessary. All I did was pop off that panel, and removed the panel below the steering column, which was attached by two 7mm hex screws, and just pulls off. The actuator is in about the same place as in the Gen. III's (plenty of threads in Gen. III forum showing location.). All three 8mm hex head screws on the actuator are very accessible with a 1/4 drive ratchet and an extention or two. Before I removed the actuator, I started the vehicle, and moved the temp. to cold and then shut off engine. I removed the actuator and small foam ring, disconnected it, put the foam ring on the new part, connected it, and installed it. Started engine, let warm up, and moved temp dial from cold to hot, and YIPPEE, hot air with no noise.

You can save about $20 by not buying the part from the dealer. Just search your correct Motorcraft part # by VIN on fordparts.com, then use that part # to search online for best price. I got mine from Rockauto for $49 inc. shipping. There was even a promotional code I used to get an extra 5% off. I went with the Motorcraft actuator. Dorman also makes them, but the price is not that much different, and I was comfortable with Motorcraft.

I took the actuator apart that I removed, and there were 3 broken teeth on the small gear inside the actuator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would love more information on how you did this. Mine has been acting up and last Friday I tore apart half the dash including the panels you mentioned. I can see the actuator but could find any way to get at it to remove. Ford says it will cost between 450 and 1100 to do the job through them, which I'm trying to avoid.

btw, what are the symptoms of failing blend door actuator?

Symptoms?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297933

As far as being able to get at it, I don't really know what else to say. Once the (approx. 12" x 18") panel to the right of your lower leg is removed, all you do is look up underneath where the panel was, and it's right there. You can put your hand right on it, and see all 3 screws. Also, my X is a base model XLS and only has 1 actuator. I think the fancier X's with dual climate zones have 2.

This thread below is for the Gen. III, and shows the location of the actuator. Just remember the center console removal is not neceassary. Ford did the Gen. IV owners a big favor by making us a separate panel.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294140

There are also other good threads on this in the Gen. III forum.

Hope this helps.

Ok, "a nasty snapping/popping/flapping sound coming from the center vents" sounds like very annoying symptom.

EDX::I'm going to try again this weekend, but last week when I took the Dash apart I don’t recall seeing a white box, like the one shown in the GEN III forums (though admittedly I didn't get right up under that last panel like). What I did see was a silver metal solenoid with a yellow wire attached to the bottom, and some form of level coming out of the top. Does the actuator look like the one in the GEN III forums?

Yep, looks exactly the same, and in the same place. No need to take the dash apart, just the one panel, then look up underneath the part that is left, and it will practically hit you in the nose. The only reason I removed the panel under the steering column was to get a little closer with the ratchet for the top screw. Was able to reach it with a 6" extension.

Well I replaced my blend door actuator today. My local Ford dealer wanted to charge me around 400 - 450 to do the work. So following the instructions provided on this site I decided to do it on my own. Part was approx $73.00, and it took me about 30 minutes. For anyone else wanting to do it, it's easy, save the money and do it yourself. These newer Explorers don't require any cutting, and you don't have to disassemble the center console, though I do recommend taking off the center peace (around the radio).

Ok, anyone familiar with what part I should get? I have an 06 limited with the dual zone. Rock auto is giving me 3 options, damper door switch (vacuum selector) part YH1522, blend door actuator with automatic temperature control part YH1759, and blend door actuator with Aux A/C & heater; air distribution mode door; with cross-shaped shaft

I am guessing I would jut order the 1st one which is the damper door switch since the door is the problem, not the actuator, but that's just a guess

The first thing you need to know is what's wrong. Is it the switch or the actuator(s).. Once you know what part(s) you need to replace go to fordparts.com and look up your parts by VIN #. Then go back to Rock Auto. I knew I needed a blend door actuator, but there were several to choose from, and the fordparts site narrowed it down to the one I needed. Hope that helps.

Thanks! I did that and unfortunately for me it's giving me about 6 different options so I think this might be one for the dealer...hopefully they'll acknowledge the issue and it will be covered under the extended warranty because right now it's only making noise on really cold mornings

The blend door was not covered under the warranty i purchased form ford when i brought the car from the dealer. Hopefully you have a different one from mine. But i lucked out and they fixed it for free. I told them i would do it my self and the manger forgot to tell the shop not to do it so they could not charge me. The only down side is the a/c leaks now when it is on so i have to take apart the dash to see where they forgot to connect something.

Anyone recall if the part number is listed on the actuator? I was thinking of disassembling the dash when it's warm and pulling the part out and ordering it that way since I can't seem to narrow down which part I actually need.

The part # was on my actuator, but in my case it had been superceded, and the original # would have been of no use. After I had the old part out, I tried to search it with the old # and came up with very little. Better to start from scratch with VIN, make, model, etc.

Thanks...unfortunately I tried the vin on ford parts and it came up with several options. I know it's the actuator based on the noise. The good thing is I have time because as of now it only makes the awful groaning noise on start up on cold days, but I'm sure the time is running out.

Blend Door Actuator

FYI:

Just replaced the Blend Door actuator on my 2007 Explorer XLT! This was a very simple Job. Can't thank the forum enough for all the info before attempting. Bought the OEM part for $80.00. Removed Left lower panel cover, panel cover and bracket below steering wheel assy, 3 screws, one plug and done. 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, Done!

Thanks
Rich

Rich,
Does your explorer have the dual electronic climate control??

Hi:

If you mean do I have separate controls for Driver and passenger then no, I do have aux controls overhead for the rear passengers...

Rich

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one last question since i think i'll be replacing mine soon, do you know the part number? thanks!!

Back