Just replaced the Blend Door Actuator on my Gen IV | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just replaced the Blend Door Actuator on my Gen IV

My 2006 ford explorer the temp. Control knob when you change it it makes a loud clicking sound and it will no longer blow hot air only cold.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum :)

Definitely sounds like the blend door actuator. Believe me when I say, 'if I can do it, anybody can do it.' Just read the thread and do a little research. We're if you have any questions.

Has anyone replaced the right side blend door motor on a dual control Explorer? I cannot reach the top right hand screw. I have the glove box out, loosened the dash as much as I can from the right side. It appears I may have to completely remove the dash. There is a bracket in the way of the screw.

Good thing I checked the site before paying a big bill to replace the blend door actuator on my 06. I saw vids on line for 02 to 2010 explorers taking the console out dash apart, i was like wow big job. You guys were on the money a few panels 10 to 11 screws 30 - 45 min and done. Thanks

Good thing I checked the site before paying a big bill to replace the blend door actuator on my 06. I saw vids on line for 02 to 2010 explorers taking the console out dash apart, i was like wow big job. You guys were on the money a few panels 10 to 11 screws 30 - 45 min and done. Thanks

I'm with you, this site saved me hours of work, or hundreds of dollars......either way, it really helped me out.

Ron

I just replaced the passenger side actuator on a 2007 Mercury Mountaineer Premier (dual front controls) and it is not quite so simple, but done easily enough. The correct part for this vehicle was YH-1759.

I had to remove the glove box door for easier access to the screws. I did remove the center console and radio cover so that I could see what I was doing, but it wouldn't be necessary.

You cannot see the actuator (which was black, not white) when you remove the lower panel, but must remove a piece of duct that is in front of it. To remove the duct, you must remove a bracket toward the front of the vehicle, for which you'll need a 10mm socket (deep socket for the lower two bolts).

As quoted below by bnhsdad, the top screw of the actuator itself is behind a metal bracket that cannot be removed or moved. Perhaps you could get to it if you had just the right socket and wrench of exactly the right length, but I simply removed the other two screws then snapped off the upper tab when removing the actuator. I used pliers to snap the same tab off the new one. Even if I have to replace it every year, at $40 on amazon it would take 13 years to match the $500 quote I got to fix it, so I'm not too concerned. The actuator arm is at the very bottom anyway, between the two screws that I was able to get off/on, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Took it for a drive and things got warm within a mile and toasty after two.

Has anyone replaced the right side blend door motor on a dual control Explorer? I cannot reach the top right hand screw. I have the glove box out, loosened the dash as much as I can from the right side. It appears I may have to completely remove the dash. There is a bracket in the way of the screw.

Changed blend door now heat isn't very hot

So I changed the blend door actuator the other day and the clicking stopped. Now the heat isn't very hot. I turned the old one all the way to cold before taking it out and before installing the new one I plugged it in and made sure it was in about the same position before actually installing it.

The rear heat is hot but the front isn't. Am I right in thinking maybe I need to take it out and adjust it somehow? Just seems like it's not opening up the blend door enough or something.

Any thoughts?

It was very easy to do. Took about 15min. Easier than Gen. III because the panel next to the lower part of the driver's leg just pops off. Removing the center console is not necessary. All I did was pop off that panel, and removed the panel below the steering column, which was attached by two 7mm hex screws, and just pulls off. The actuator is in about the same place as in the Gen. III's (plenty of threads in Gen. III forum showing location.). All three 8mm hex head screws on the actuator are very accessible with a 1/4 drive ratchet and an extention or two. Before I removed the actuator, I started the vehicle, and moved the temp. to cold and then shut off engine. I removed the actuator and small foam ring, disconnected it, put the foam ring on the new part, connected it, and installed it. Started engine, let warm up, and moved temp dial from cold to hot, and YIPPEE, hot air with no noise.

You can save about $20 by not buying the part from the dealer. Just search your correct Motorcraft part # by VIN on fordparts.com, then use that part # to search online for best price. I got mine from Rockauto for $49 inc. shipping. There was even a promotional code I used to get an extra 5% off. I went with the Motorcraft actuator. Dorman also makes them, but the price is not that much different, and I was comfortable with Motorcraft.

I took the actuator apart that I removed, and there were 3 broken teeth on the small gear inside the actuator.
Hi edwx....thanks for your advice on this. On my 07 XLT it became necessary a week ago to replace the blend door motor and the job was quite easy as I put myself through college as an auto mechanic and have most of my tools still. I went with the Dorman motor from Rock Auto. Dorman Products have been good to me over the years, so I'm loyal. I did a post-mortem also and found stripped teeth in the FOMOCO OE part. Anyway, while I was waiting for the part to arrive I got curious and wanted to see if my blend door was jamming (perhaps causing the blend motor to work harder). I used an Allen key that fit perfectly into the receptacle of the blend door and operated it by hand. It was free and clear and smooth in its whole range of motion....but interestingly the heat on the floor seemed hotter when I operated it to the full hot position by hand. It led me to theorize that the blend door motors for these manual climate control systems on a Gen 4 car perhaps don't operate the door as far as it can be operated by hand.....and in both directions (hot and cold). Any thoughts on that theory ? Because the motor is so easy to remove, I'm thinking about pulling it out next fall or winter and doing some "testing" with the Allen key when the temps get colder. Right now it's too late and too warm to really get a handle on it. If I'm correct I'll probably tape the Allen key in place for the winter and keep the blend door in it's full hot position.

I wonder if it is the Dorman part, my 06 XLT had intense heat with the Ford part, but the heat is not as hot with the Dorman part. I will probally buy a Motorcraft part before next winter and change it. Dorman must have less range of motion.

I wonder if it is the Dorman part, my 06 XLT had intense heat with the Ford part, but the heat is not as hot with the Dorman part. I will probally buy a Motorcraft part before next winter and change it. Dorman must have less range of motion.
Let us know, but I doubt it's a problem with the Dorman part as Dorman would have built the part to the Ford engineering drawings. Plus, my 07 XLT had the same crummy heat when the OE Ford part was in there and still working up until a few weeks ago....been that day since day 1....and I bought the truck new. Unless perhaps Ford made an engineering change to their part. That would involve change the size of the gears inside and possibly the housing as well.

Anybody ever have this technical bulletin performed on their 06-08 truck ?
TSB 08-5-9 "Thumping/Loud Flutter - Behind Dash in Defrost Mode - Lack of Airflow to Floor - Manual A/C Only"

Dorman part number

For anyone interested the Dorman part number is 604-209 for the manual blend door actuator.

For anyone interested the Dorman part number is 604-209 for the manual blend door actuator.
Yes, which was $38.28 shipped from Rock (April 2015). In my case it it replaced FOMOCO # 1L2H-19E616-CD....I know because I affixed the FOMOCO placard from the failed OE part to my receipt and filed it.

Hot but no cold

So I have a 07 Limited with digital dual climate system. On the drivers side hot and cold no problem, passenger heat only. Never goes to cold.

This sounds different from the symptoms that I've read. Most seem to have no heat. Think it's the same problem? Like to have the parts before starting the repair.

Thanks

I have manual heat and AC the AC works as good as before but while the heat works well before changing the blend door motor the heat was like a flame thrower. When the door went bad I had no heat just AC

So I have a 07 Limited with digital dual climate system. On the drivers side hot and cold no problem, passenger heat only. Never goes to cold.

This sounds different from the symptoms that I've read. Most seem to have no heat. Think it's the same problem? Like to have the parts before starting the repair.

Thanks
I'm not familiar with the dual climate system, but I'd imagine it's different in more than just the control panel. Perhaps there's a separate thread on this forum for that system.

Spent the better part of an hour under the passenger dash, no blend door actuator visible in all the stuff under there. Going to have to watch some YouTube videos to see if I can locate it.

Any suggestions where it is for the passenger heat/cold. Is it in the center on the heater plenum or over the passenger foot well?

Spent the better part of an hour under the passenger dash, no blend door actuator visible in all the stuff under there. Going to have to watch some YouTube videos to see if I can locate it.

Any suggestions where it is for the passenger heat/cold. Is it in the center on the heater plenum or over the passenger foot well?

The diagram below shows where the blend doors (circled) are in your vehicle. They are behind the plastic ducts (lines pointing), which you'll have to remove to see the blend door (even then it takes some looking). Without the diagram, I'm not sure I would have found them either.

My experience, which is essentially the same vehicle as yours (certainly same HVAC setup), is in my post further up on this page.

I can't say, but I suppose your problem might be the blend door, even though your symptoms are opposite. Maybe the door is stuck open? Just guessing.

blenddoors_zps6uksrrth.jpg

Thanks benman, your diagram helped. That and a You Tube of a actuator relacement in a Mountaineer with the dual climate system.

Took longer than planned but I got it repaced. Local Ford dealer had the right one in stock (confirmed by VIN) $75.00 Got all the screws out and back in after removing the passenger kick pannel and the glove box, then the lower heater duct. Moved a big trunk of wiring harness to get to the screws. Worst part was getting the shaft ligned back up with the blend door opening.

Again thanks to this forum for saving me lots of time and extra expense.

Yes, getting the shaft lined up was difficult. So did that fix your problem? For others who are interested, the video is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IjMiHRzpDY. I guess the door was above the plastic duct -- I remembered having to remove it for the work anyway.

What did you use to get to that one screw that's behind a metal support?

The part is only $40 on Amazon. I bought another for when the driver's side goes, which from some creaking I've been hearing, may have happened already. AC air is fine though, so, you know, mañana.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello!
Has anyone had to replace the rear blend door motors? Ive got an 07 Explorer and am only getting air to the floor. I cannot get air to the overhead vents. Any diagrams or tips would be great. All i've seen in write ups and youtube videos are for prior gen Explorers and Expeditions; i know that this gen has the hvac on the driver side which is different than prior years. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bad enough I've got to deal with dual climate control blend door replacement at same time as well... oh well

Back