Kansas Crawlin' at KRRP | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kansas Crawlin' at KRRP

At least the trucks are clean and now it's just us that are covered in mud. I would also like to say I have a cool brother, while scouting the trail my feet went about a foot deep in wet sloppy mud and silt and I lost a show, my brother got down and balanced himself on a log and went elbow deep in the stuff to get my shoe back, then walked back to the truck with Mark and Joshua and brought me my other pair of shoes, he even washed them off for me at the car wash:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, that was an experience. This was the first time out there where we actually tried to do some (semi difficult ) trails. This time we were driving something I myself welded together so, hmmm. Yes I was a bit leery.

The lack of pictures is due to the fact we were really having a hard time of things. Seemed like we always attacked a trail from the difficult side, only to get ourselves committed to even harder black trails. The trail map at KS rocks park leaves a whole lot to be desired. The trail ratings are all messed up. The trail skill indicators do not match the printed map. They told me it was because the trails have changed. Well, it seems pretty easy to change the printed map if you can make all new signs---just sayin

PRINT A NEW MAP!!!!!

Also, please created some turn arounds where a green trail commits you to a black. each of these small areas could loose a few trees-- Kthanx.

And I go on---some trails are not marked on both ends. So, you get all lost and committed into some real hairy stuff. We headed down a green trail right off only to get down to a point where it is a black climb out, or a "marked as blue" swamp with silt and 2 foot deep ruts. All combined with tight trees. When I say tight, I mean tight. I literally tried to shove a tree out of my way once hoping to get a gliding glance type movement to the side and ended up with tree rain all over the inside of the truck and us. Most of the time if there are trees, and you do clear them it is only by a fraction of an inch. when going slow this is called "technical. But when they are on both sides and you are going up a nice ledge on top of a greasy hill, things get weird.

Some of the trails are mis rated. We tried going down a trail which had "green markers" and was marked green on the trail. Down off on a side trail were 2 jeeps, and we met the other drivers in the middle of what I can only describe as poor trail management. The only safe looking green loop on the map has a spring--river flowing right down it and a silt puddle right in the middle that will eat the shoes off your feet. If you tried to get a truck down in there sorry on ya.

There is a creek flowing right along this area which could be widened, and should have been a long time ago. This would allow the actual trail to dry.

Heck, we were all pretty much lost the whole time.

This park has a day full of challenges for just about any rig, but it would be nice to know where you are.

All of this combined for some pretty interesting wheeling and not many pictures. I mean we stopped every 10 minutes at least, with a challenge that took some head scratching to get out of. All in all nobody got hurt, and, aside from Pwhite backing into a tree , me backing into Gamn to adjust his bumper for him, and some slider--bumper-tree marks we came thru it all good. No carnage to report. Although there should have been.

I hope someone was taking pictures but this is all I have. :(

I guess it is actually good wheeling when you don't think about the camera.

It was fun out there watching Mark wheel the crap out his rig. Most of the stuff was just to high or tight for Phillip to get through although if his truck was just a tad shorter he could hang with anyone. I think he hauled about as many pounds of tow strap as Eric did. Levi rode with the most interesting truck in the bunch so I hope he got some pictures. Oh, interesting truck-:p::D ( just ribbing yeah) Gregg got to shake off his new 5 speed conversion, and nothing broke, so, I would say the event paid off over and over. :D
Afterward we ate some fried chicken at the chicken shack. The service was "mom and pop with the kids thrown in " style, but the food was pretty good. After a day of wheelin it made a turd and that's what counts huh?
Then we all came back tot he farm for an attempted bonfire. Well, it didn;t burn too good. Cybergasm and I couldn't even finish off a pint of tequila either. Dangit I was pooped.

I feel fortunate to have been part of it. You guys are great! Thanks for the friendship, and sorry I have been grouchy lately. ( I have been kinda pushy lately--I noticed it, didn't like it and am trying to change it--so yeah)

ooops editing pics now

LIned up and almost ready

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

OK, I caught Gregg jumping while Phillip kicked the jcakstnd-chock out from Gregg's truck. Heck it even startled me.

IMG_1871.jpg

Group meeting with Trail volunteer

IMG_1887.jpg

Silly dog
IMG_1890.jpg

Dang I think I hit puddle. Oh my

Muddy trucks
IMG_1896.jpg

Tree pusher

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

More dirty trucks

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

'nother tree pusher

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

yeh it got pretty hot and the humidity was about 101% so any shade was good. Since the park is so small the shelters can be a good area to leave large items also.

IMG_1898.jpg

OK there was this hill see-

We all tried 3 times each, well, all of the idiots tried 3 times. Phillip was smart and just shook his head.

I hope someone has video--until then here is Gregg going down the same hill. We were able to find a short green trail leading to this area, which was a landing area for 3 steep climbs.

th_MVI_1892.jpg

Click picture for video

edit: not really loving my iphone right now, all the videos of Mark and Jon trying to make it up a hill are upside down and it looks like it's going to be a pain to flip the .mov files. I'll wait and see what Levi has as he was shooting video too.

edit 2: they play fine in another player, so I'll upload one and see what happens after the rest are done.

all the fun i missed out on yesterday......sigh:(

aw well next time

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...............

Had a great time with a great bunch of folk. :)

We had time to hang out, shoot the breeze, and just relax this weekend. Me likey.

KSRP is a tight little park for sure. Trees are on you like stink on like stink on (you know what). All the rains lately sure didn't help matters out there either. Trails where either too easy or too hard. Not much in the middle.

The very first trail we got on was a black diamond vertical climb. Jon went 1st, made it up no problem. Then our turn. Yellowford was my co-pilot for the day. This was a challenge for me as being in a vert angle stuck position and the fact I was still learning how to wheel with a manual, made for an interesting situation. The POS clutch in the rig made it even harder to deal with. Stalled it, lost all brakes, and was going blind backwards down the hill. Made another rookie mistake and had my thumb inside the steering wheel as it spun and tried to rip the thumb off the hand. Ouch & oh chit! Made it to the top and found the rig hung up on the sliders on a nice rock ledge jutting out the side. In front was a 2' shelf up against the tire. In front of the rear tire was another rock shelf. It was pretty much pinned in. Straps came out and got me over the last hurdle. Man what a way to start the day.
(oh yeah, Levi had to catch the stereo after it came flying out of the dashboard..good stuff..lol )

I made a mistake by getting the rig into a situation where I did not test the waters (mud) before I leaped. Ended up getting the pass side LCA hung up good on a boulder as the tires sunk in the Mud. Thanks to Turdle yanking me out, and the guys hooking the straps up. Nailed a tree backing out of it and got a dinger in the rear bumper, no biggie. Got some more pinstripes, as the narrow tree lined trails were just way to narrow. 3 point turns were not uncommon all day.

Some fun was had on a slippery hill climb. Nobody made it up. Once we seen Sparksaflyin couldn't do it, there was really no hope for the rest of us :)

All the rigs were just awesome to be around. Lots of hard work went into these things by us mere mortals, to be able to spend a few short hours with each other. Jons work on his rig was just amazing for being his real 1st build off roading. He is going to have a lot of fun with it in the future. He really is a big dawg (for real) now.

I just Loved every minute of it and can't wait to do it again.

I didn't really take many pics as I was pretty busy doing other things. Here is what I got. Hopefully Levi & Eric got a bunch.

After the day of wheeling.

The Purdy got Dirty!
Turdlesmuddywhitepowdersuspension.jpg

Black Hole
BlackHoleKSRP10.jpg

I made a mistake by getting the rig into a situation where I did not test the waters (mud) before I leaped. Ended up getting the pass side LCA hung up good on a boulder as the tires sunk in the Mud. Thanks to Turdle yanking me out, and the guys hooking the straps up. Nailed a tree backing out of it and got a dinger in the rear bumper, no biggie. Got some more pinstripes, as the narrow tree lined trails were just way to narrow. 3 point turns were not uncommon all day.

Phillip got you out, Jon tried and his front bumper was lose and bending forward remember?

Phillip got you out, Jon tried and his front bumper was lose and bending forward remember?

Ahh, yes. That is correct. My mistake. Im old you know :D

Thanks to Phillip pulling me off the rock and mud pit, we were able to continue with our day. ;)

Here are most of the videos I still have a couple more of the hill climb attempts to upload.

Sorry about the poor camera work in this one, it looked like mark was actually going to make it and so I was getting up to get out of the way if I needed to.

That gregg guy has to get towed everywhere:D

And this is some jeep we ran into at the end of the day while my shoe was getting eaten and we were trying to figure out the easiest way to get out of the swamp we were facing.

What a fun wheeling eventure even without my own truck. Thanks again Gman for letting me ride along and Turdle for having everyone over.

Uploading the videos I have to youtube, might take awhile my interenet is going super slow.

(Insert Beatles song here)
I get by, with a little help from my friends, oooh..I get by, with a little help from my friends! :D

Ok, I added the last 3 videos in my last post, they are right below the first video. That is everything I have from this weekend.

What can I say another great weekend on the books with you guys. I just had to by a truck with a 130" wheel base and take it to a park built tight for a bloody jeep. You guys and your 3 point turns took me about 10 points. Let alone have to back though a set because it would turn. I knew I would be leaving with a least on dent the moment I signed up but it was worth it. I so can't wait until I can get some slider built before SMORR.

And due to my own stupidity I get to by a new gauge for my power tank.

I will probably start on video tomorrow.

Looks like you guys had a great time, hopefully I'll be able to join in on the next one. Although it sounds like KRocks was just as tight and wet (and not in a good way) as it was for Frostbite. Idk how well I would have done with my extended cab with full width axles, lol. A lot of 10 pt turns most likely. The beast is getting close to done though. I'm putting in my 9" center section complete with 4.88s and spool this weekend. Then I just need to save up for the front gears and install.

I've been being lasy last two days!:thumbsup: It was good to see everyone again,even you greg.lol!!! Didn'y get many pictures as my copilot was to busy copiloting. I did scare myself for the frist time this outing. Joshua screemed like a little girl or was that me! lol!! That's all I'm saying about that. Except I'm the only one that made that hill.I was trying to get over to help with greg getting up the frist hill.I couldn't get to him anyway dang trees!

Ksrocks is deffantly(sp) a jeep park for as tight as it is.Philp makes it look easy weving in and out of them.Levi thanks for spotting for us even tho you were just riding along it was nice to have you hang out with us!!

joshuasparksPICS628.jpg

joshuasparksPICS629.jpg

joshuasparksPICS631.jpg

joshuasparksPICS632.jpg

A Muddy turdle!! Thought I'd never see it! lol!!! NBL!:D
joshuasparksPICS633.jpg

I don't like going down hills not FUN! Greg did it anyways!!!
joshuasparksPICS634.jpg

I like this pic.
joshuasparksPICS637.jpg

joshuasparksPICS635.jpg

pt2

joshuasparksPICS644.jpg

joshuasparksPICS646.jpg

joshuasparksPICS647.jpg

joshuasparksPICS645.jpg

joshuasparksPICS639.jpg

joshuasparksPICS640.jpg

Brotherly love!
joshuasparksPICS641.jpg

joshuasparksPICS643.jpg

I just wander what he was thinking while digging for his brothers shoe:p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pt3

Can't leave out Preicous the wheel'n mute. She had to jump into the same Mud hole Eric did!!
joshuasparksPICS651.jpg

joshuasparksPICS652.jpg

Don't no if I already did these two or not
joshuasparksPICS639.jpg

joshuasparksPICS640.jpg

Still funny! Oh were sitting around the table friday night erics sitting by Joshua he says (is he the one that wrecked his truck)LOL!! nbl!!!:D

That's about it until we meet again at S.M.O.R.R. be there or be some where else! Just be safe!:cool:

Back