• Register Today It's free!

Keyfob programing issues

Evans956

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Base
So I bought a key off of eBay for my 2013 Ford Explorer. Got it cut and programmed it myself. The key will start the car but the button functions do not work. Is this user error with programing or is it just a bad key. I used the manual instructions.

UPDATE: I figured it out, %100 user error.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I bought a key off of eBay for my 2013 Ford Explorer. Got it cut and programmed it myself. The key will start the car but the button functions do not work. Is this user error with programing or is it just a bad key. I used the manual instructio
UPDATE: I figured it out, %100 user error.

I have the same problem. What did you figure out?

If you have after-market keys, its a two step process more than likely. The seller should have included instructions for both.

If you have after-market keys, its a two step process more than likely. The seller should have included instructions for both.
Well I used the programming method i the owners manual wich was the same as the instructions i got with the remote. The locks cycles and the key starts the vehicle. The remote does not work. Batteries are good.

2013 FORD EXPLORER Remote Programming - Free Keyless Entry Remote Key Fob Programming Instructions

Works on 11-15s, Procedure A.

Aftermarket keys have an independent FOB portion which is why two steps have to be used (ie program the key and the fob)
Thanks that worked. I didnt know you had to program the remote separtly. I did not see that in the owners manual. Remote start works now. Thanks to fordscan I now have remote start, blinker lane change flash 6 times instead of three, fog lights are daytime running lights, fog lights work on high beam, and radio volume is 100 % it was set to 85%.

Thanks that worked. I didnt know you had to program the remote separtly. I did not see the in the owner manual.

You won't see that in the owner's manual because OEM keys don't require two steps. Your new keys are aftermarket. The seller should have included full programming instructions for both steps.

I was just programming and new key for remote start. I had key cut by dealer and was able to program that part but the remote I programed and now only will unlock, back hatch open, and alarm. It will not lock or be able to use remote start function. Has anyone had this problem?

I was just programming and new key for remote start. I had key cut by dealer and was able to program that part but the remote I programed and now only will unlock, back hatch open, and alarm. It will not lock or be able to use remote start function. Has anyone had this problem?
Did you use the 2 step programming method as indicated by jmr061 above for an aftermarket key?

Yes I did the key activation. The car says 3 admin keys now.
Then I did procedure A in the write up listed above and the lock button and remote start are only buttons that don't work.

Yes I did the key activation. The car says 3 admin keys now.
Then I did procedure A in the write up listed above and the lock button and remote start are only buttons that don't work.
Hopefully someone else can chime in. Being the only driver I've never had a need for extra keys.

Ok thanks. Only reason I am adding one is. To add the remote start.

Hello, new here. We bought a new IAK forb for my son and i am having difficulties adding it to the car.
We have both original fobs and i have followed the instructions in the 2013 fourth printing owners manual.

Did some research here and saw people suggesting a different method and that some years have to be added by the dealer.

Does anybody know if the 2013 can be added by owner and are the instructions in the manual correct? We just did the same with my Escape and it went perfectly.

Not really trying to be cheap but $60 for 2 minutes of work by the dealer is robbery especially after paying almost $200 for $25 worth of electronics.

Thank you

Welcome to the Forum Chris.:wave:
I've merged your thread with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature in the upper right. Have a look at post #5. That may help.

Peter

Peter
I did find this and a couple others, but they all seem to be integrated Key remote not the intelligent access key that i have.

I tried procedure B as it applies to mine and it didn't work.

Also i don't have an aftermarket key. It came from Ford. AFAIK there are no aftermarket IAK available. (At least i couldn't find one) only refurbished.

Hi there, I am new in the forum. I just tried procedure A and it works perfectly with an aftermarket key (car starts and all 3 buttons work).

Hi there, I am new in the forum. I just tried procedure A and it works perfectly with an aftermarket key (car starts and all 3 buttons work).
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Glad to hear that you found the info helpful.

Peter

Back