Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Keyless Entry (Securicode) Door Pad Not working

Discussion in '2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology' started by karebear865, June 18, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. SportCzech

SportCzech New Member

City, State:
      Baltimore, MD
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2013 Explorer Sport
      Redkat,
      I have found that it works better when depressing keypad numbers with finger print rather than tip of finger and holding last digit for second or more and releasing. Also, sometimes I run finger down pad to light it up then depress numbers. Sometimes because it is not lit and difficult to see you may not be depressing first digit in correct spot. Hope this helps.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gatzdon

gatzdon Active Member

City, State:
      IL
      2000 Exp XLS 4WD V6 OHV
      mine was defective registering multiple presses for each number pressed. Drove me nuts until the dealer replaced it. Now it works like a charm.

To show them, I set a personal code of 66669 through the MFT, then asked them to unlock the door.

If I tapped a number real fast, it usually registered as a single press. Service rep thought he was funny because he code unlock with the factory code by tapping real fast. The 66669 emphasized the number I had the most trouble with and it was impossible to tap the 6 just four times.

After replacement, all worked like a charm and I could take my time keying in the code. Technician said that they had access to a function where they could see exactly what the computer was registering when he tapped on the keypad and it was clear that two of the numbers were registering multiple times when he pressed them.

4. aznkidlee

aznkidlee Active Member

City, State:
      MA
      12 Explorer XLT BLK 205A
      I'm having issues with my keypad entering the factory code. Will need to make a visit to the dealer at some point.

5. LukerDooker

LukerDooker Active Member

City, State:
      N.E.
      2013Limited 301A TuxBlack
      Why Ford’s Keypad Entry System Is Secretly The Best Thing Ever

http://jalopnik.com/why-ford-s-keypad-entry-system-is-secretly-the-best-thi-1720567933

If we were to talk about today’s greatest automotive features, I think we could all agree that two really stand out above the rest: a roof-mounted rocket launcher and Ford’s keypad entry system.

Unfortunately, you cannot currently purchase a roof-mounted rocket launcher for civilian use. I know this because I went down to my local Plymouth-Jeep-Eagle dealer to inquire about it, and the people there said to me: Sir, this place has been a Dairy Queen for fourteen years.

So that leaves us with only one feature that stands out above the rest: Ford’s keypad entry system.

For those of you who don’t know about Ford’s keypad entry system, please allow me to educate you, as I often must do in my capacity as one of today’s most descriptive, illustrative, expressive automotive journalists. It is a system that provides entry with a keypad.

Here’s how it works. In a normal car, such as your Suzuki Verona, you have three options when you walk up to the door. Number one, you can press the key fob to unlock the door. Number two, you can put the key in the lock to unlock the door. And number three, you can walk away quickly because this isn’t your car. You don’t drive a Suzuki Verona. You drive a Honda Accord.

Well, if you have one of today’s excellent Ford products, you have one more option: you can walk up to your car, enter a code into a little keypad on the door — BEEP BOOP BEEP BAAP BOPE — and climb right in. It is little touches like this that have managed to keep Ford just slightly out of bankruptcy for the last 25 years.

Now, before I go any further with this column, I want to address a topic that I’m sure has crossed your mind. Namely: How did an entire car dealership become one single Dairy Queen? And the answer is, I don’t know. Maybe it’s a really big Dairy Queen. Maybe it’s a Dairy King. Maybe it’s a Dairy Royal Family, Including Camilla. God, you’re a nitpicky bastard.

Anyway, you might also be thinking: How could this keypad entry feature possibly be useful in any circumstances to my life? And this is an excellent question, because if you’ve been living life keypadentrylessly, you probably can’t fathom how such a thing could help you. It’s like when you buy a dishwasher. After a while, you’ll never know how you possibly got by without him.

So here are a few scenarios in which a keypad entry system might help you.

SCENARIO NUMBER ONE: You are one of these “health nuts” who likes to “jog” and “eat organic food” such as “paper.” So you bring your 2007 Ford Explorer to the park in order to have a nice, long run while wearing brightly colored clothing. The only problem? Because you are a dungeon keeper, you don’t want to take your keys with you!

So what you do is, you lock your keys in your car. In a normal car, this would be a huge problem, and you would have to resort to drastic measures to getting them out, such as breaking the window, or abandoning the car forever and moving on with your life. But in your Ford, you go have your run, you come back, and BEEP BOOP BEEP BAAP BOPE! You’re in!

Then you climb into your car, stick the key in the ignition, and go about your day. All thanks to Ford!

SCENARIO NUMBER TWO: You are a “wife” and you have a “husband” and you are going to a “function” but he is in the “bathroom” because he ate too many “Oreos.” Unfortunately, he has the keys to your 2009 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat Extended Cab StyleSide FlareBed, which means you cannot climb inside and secure your dog, Snarls Barkley, who will also be accompanying you to the function. So what do you do? BEEP BOOP BEEP BAAP BOPE! You’re in!

Then you secure Snarls, and you secure yourself, and your husband walks out just in time to drive away. All thanks to Ford!

SCENARIO NUMBER THREE: You are a contract killer and you are trying to carry out a hit on a human person, such as the guy who runs the laundromat, because he stained your favorite Kermit the Frog baseball cap. So you wait outside his house, and you monitor his every movement, and you figure out what his keypad code is, and then you show up one day at the laundromat with a gun and a silencer, and BEEP BOOP BEEP BAAP BOPE! You’re in!

Then you shout THIS ONE’S FOR KERMIT as you methodically pump bullet after bullet into his lifeless body. All thanks to Ford!

So as you can see this technology has a wide range of excellent uses, and I highly recommend that you purchase a car with it. I once had a 1996 Ford Explorer that possessed this feature, and I used it all the time when I was a high-schooler and I didn’t want to worry about my keys during baseball practice. What would happen is, at the end of practice, I would walk out to my car, and BEEP BOOP BEEP BAAP BOPE! I would be gone, away, vanished, at least four-tenths of a second faster than everyone else. All thanks to Ford!

Now if only they would come out with a roof-mounted rocket launcher. They could sell it as a fuel economy benefit, since you wouldn’t be stopping for traffic as much.

[MENTION=233496]dougd[/MENTION]eMuro is the author of Plays With Cars. He owned an E63 AMG wagon and once tried to evade police at the Tail of the Dragon using a pontoon boat. (It didn’t work.) He worked as a manager for Porsche Cars North America before quitting to become a writer, largely because it meant he no longer had to wear pants. Also, he wrote this entire bio himself in the third person.

6. the5kleinsonline

the5kleinsonline New Member

City, State:
      Minnesota
      2013 Explorer
      I have been so frustrated with this issue! The keypad will work, but only after entering the code several times. Doesn't matter the weather, how fast or slow you enter it, or who tries. (We have had probably 20 different people try). We brought it in to two different Ford dealerships and they both said - since they were able to get it to open (even if it took several tries), there was nothing they could do. So...we gave up...until I saw this when looking for another answer, but now our warranty is up!

7. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
      It would be helpful if you added the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it always show in the margin. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Peter

8. DkDomer

DkDomer New Member

City, State:
      Grand Rapids, MI
      2013 Explorer Limited
      I purchased a 2013 Explorer a week ago and can't get the keypad to work. Each key triggers the red light but the factory code will not unlock the doors. Pressing 9/8 doesn't lock them either. The factory warranty has expired so I'm really hoping it isn't too costly of a fix. Did anyone outside of warranty have to pay out of pocket? What did it run you?

9. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      My suggestion would be to send a PM to jzcop since his was replaced but never responded to a query about cost. His last post here was in July. Perhaps he will respond to a Private Message from you. In any case it looks like a dealer trip is in order if you want it fixed.
      Also, please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin when you post. Thanks.

Peter

10. Mereanarchy

Mereanarchy New Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      2015 XLT
      So I believe that the keyless entry pad isn't working properly on my new explorer. If I lock the explorer using the remote, and then unlock it using the remote, get something out, and try to lock the door back using the keypad, it won't lock the truck. Anyone else have an issue of the entry pad being unresponsive?

11. Fish4five

Fish4five Active Member

2013 Explorer Sport
      Having the same issue with my Taurus sho. Took it to the dealer and diagnosed as faulty and needed replacing. They wanted over $600 to replace. Mines out of the 3/36 so I ordered one for $175 through another dealer and gonna install myself.

12. Halwg

Halwg Active Member

City, State:
      WV
      2016 Explorer Base 2.3L E
      Are you pushing 7/8 and 9/0 simultaneously? Don't fat finger it!

13. Fish4five

Fish4five Active Member

2013 Explorer Sport
      Mine would lock intermittently by doing this which was interesting but could not get it to work to unlock using the code.

14. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Is that the only time the pad doesn't work?

Peter

15. Mereanarchy

Mereanarchy New Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      2015 XLT
      Yep, pressing at the same time. If I unlock using the pad I can get it to lock using the pad no issue. It's only the combination of the key and the pad that causes the issue.

16. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I just tried it on my MKT. If I use the 'Lock' on the keyfob, I have to enter my Securicode twice to unlock the doors. I tried it 3 times and on each occasion using the Securicode the first time did nothing. The second attempt always unlocked the doors.

Peter

17. Mereanarchy

Mereanarchy New Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      2015 XLT
      My recollection is that unlocking works fine regardless of order, it's only the re locking of the doors that is having the issue. I will double check the locking also.

I can't check it now, because I'm not home and I'm not driving it because at 10k miles it also has a transmission leak :mad:

18. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      re read your post and I guess I read it incorrectly the first time. I was able to lock/unlock with the remote and then relock with the touch pad. Not sure why that isn't working for you since it apparently works in other situations.

Peter

19. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Mine doesn't the same thing. Sometimes takes 5 times to get it to lock. The little red light lights up when I hold 7/8 and 9/0. Have not been able to figure out a pattern to it.

20. gatzdon

gatzdon Active Member

City, State:
      IL
      2000 Exp XLS 4WD V6 OHV
      Take it to the dealer. They can connect to the computer and check each button input individually. It only takes one button being messed up to cause the frustration you describe.

21. JohnnyDop

JohnnyDop Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      2012 Limited AWD
      Very Frustrated

I have a 2012 with 40k miles on it and since day 1 the keypad never worked perfectly but i never expected it to work perfectly because i was never fan of the interface/implementation. Locking the car using 7/8 and 9/0 worked about 60% of the time. When unable to lock the door I found opening and closing the door usually helped. The real issue was unlocking using the keypad. Once the cold weather settled in this year unlocking because almost impossible. The turning point to anger came when my two kids were in the Ex, it somehow locked itself, and i couldn’t use the keypad to unlock the doors. After multiple tries and getting "locked" out of the keypad my daughter was able to free herself from her car seat and she unlocked the doors.

My wife went to my dealer and they told her it would cost $500 to replace it. I’m not sure if $500 was for just the part or parts and labor. Either way, its seems ridiculous.

I really don’t think i should have to pay for a part that clearly hasn’t been functioning reliable since day 1. I know its technically out of warranty but it’s not like there's normal "wear and tear" on it. It’s a sealed compoenet not subject to the outdoor elements. It should just work. There's clearly a design/circuitry/software problem.

Anyone besides jzcop have this replaced out of warranty?

22. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I don't know why you didn't have this addressed while the warranty was still effect. In any case, did you ever mention it to the dealer's service department so that they made a note of it? If so at least it would be in the files. If not, a fix at no cost would be highly unlikely. When the kids were locked in the vehicle did you not have your key fob handy? It is also very unusual for the doors to lock themselves. There hasn't been any such report here that I'm aware of.
      Found this on fordparts.com;

Ford Door Pillar Moulding
      With Illuminated Door Entry Keypad; LH, Pillar Black
      $222.15

Peter

Last edited: January 27, 2016
    23. JohnnyDop

JohnnyDop Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      2012 Limited AWD
      My wife had one key fob and the other was left in the Ex. It was unlocked. I went in and because the battery on the fob was weak the Ex didnt recognize the key being in the car so i couldnt start it. I then tried to use the fob to remote start it while i was inside but that didnt work either. I kept clicking "lock" on the fob so i could remote start it. I also kept trying to start it manually via the push to start button. It finally started. I left, closed the door. When i came back out the door was locked. A mystery i know.

The reason i never brought it to the dealer was because i just figured it was a poorly designed component (just like those ridiculous, non illuminated, self activating, third row seat buttons). It was only this winter where it really stopped working. Plus its not like the key pad is dead. It fully illuminates and it still can lock the car. I probably have mentioned it to the dealer but when they've tried to use it most likely worked. I'll ask them if its been documented anywhere.

At this point i'm very frustrated especially since i didnt purchase an extended warranty on the basis i have low miles and nothing really worried me regarding wear and tear. I recently had to replace the backing of one of the third row seats. It somehow cracked in half probably during an inadvertent folding attempt when one of the buttons was bumped by some cargo. Hundreds of dollars after replacing that, this keypad issue is taking me to the boiling point.

24. drstephennix

drstephennix New Member

City, State:
      Santa Fe, TX
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Is there a write up somewhere on how to replace the door moulding with keyless entry. Just got mine back fro the dealership and they told me the 3-4 key thinks it's the 1-2 key and the 7-8 key isn't working at all. Suggested I replace the pad, but wanted to charge $260 for the part, which I got from another dealership for $170 and just need to replace it.

25. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I'm not currently aware of anyone that has done a DIY replacement of the keyless entry pad.

Peter

26. drstephennix

drstephennix New Member

City, State:
      Santa Fe, TX
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Thanks for the welcome! Are there any techs on here that might be able to tell me?