Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Keyless Entry (Securicode) Door Pad Not working

Discussion in '2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology' started by karebear865, June 18, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. scooter3

scooter3 New Member

City, State:
      Arizona
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '13 Explorer Lmtd 302A
      The door keypad on my wife's 2013 Limited stopped working about 3 months ago. The keypad lights up when you touch it, but you can no longer lock or unlock the vehicle. One feature my wife loves is being able to leave the key fob in the truck, lock the doors and not worry about it. We had the truck valet'd one day and ever since then it stopped working. I can't even program a new code. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel Guest

I just took delivery of a 2013 about 3 weeks ago. The factory code locks OK but pressing 7/8 9/0 does not lock (it does light up). Is the keypad overly fussy about the timing ? Or is probably defective ?

4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Did you hold both down at the same time? That is what is required.

Peter

5. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel Guest

Yes I did . I have it also on my F150,so I am familiar with the operation.. The Explorer 'flush mount' keypad has no tactile feel however.

6. seleberry2

seleberry2 New Member

City, State:
      Columbus, GA
      2012 Explorer, XLT, 4WD
      I've been told my Securicode keypad needs to be replaced (the invisible keypad). Anybody know the part number? How hard can it be to replace?
      Not real fond of my dealer....$500 repair estimate..

Last edited by a moderator: June 18, 2017
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
    7. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      Applique, LEFT - 2012 Ford Explorer (DB5Z7820555AB)
      http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...im-front-door-scat/?part_number=db5z7820555ab
      It was also mentioned in post #71 but not with the actual part number. A member has replaced his and I believe it involved removing the interior panel to access the keypad and wiring.

Peter

8. Eyespy12

Eyespy12 New Member

2012 Ford Explorer XLT
      I've had this same issue and the dealer diagnosed a defective keyless entry pad. They want $600 to replace. I can pick one up online for $250. Does anyone know if I were to do that, a) how difficult removing the trim piece would be and b) would the replacement part (DB5Z-7820555-AB) come with a new code or how would I would program it?

Last edited by a moderator: July 20, 2017
    9. seleberry2

seleberry2 New Member

City, State:
      Columbus, GA
      2012 Explorer, XLT, 4WD

Anybody know what it takes to replace this door "APPLIQUE" that includes the touch panel? Since this part appears to fail pretty regularly, I'm hoping somebody had done this and could describe the replacement procedure. I wouldn't hassle with it, but I've become accustomed to this feature since the first push button units 12 years ago. I'll order it and hope somebody here has an idea how to replace this unit.

Last edited by a moderator: July 20, 2017
    10. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      A fellow member posted in this thread on how to replace the pad; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...or-pad-not-working.418723/page-4#post-3534051
      As indicated in that post, the current code should work. It isn't stored in the pad itself.

Peter

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    11. xnhra

xnhra New Member

City, State:
      Texas
      2013 Ford Explorer XLT
      I bought a 2013 in august of 2012 also and while doing a walk around with the salesman before signing the papers I noticed mine didn't work. They had new ones in stock. We went and ate lunch (salesman paid) got back new one was installed, signed papers, happy ever after.

12. Eyespy12

Eyespy12 New Member

2012 Ford Explorer XLT
    13. JohnnyDop

JohnnyDop Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      2012 Limited AWD
      I ordered the part a long time ago and paid for it. Now Ford is telling me they already installed it which isnt possible since my code only works about 5% of the time. In order for me to prove they didnt replace it I want to:

1. Show them it clearly doesnt work reliably when trying to unlock with my code. Even hitting 7/8 & 9/0 simultaneously doesnt lock the doors.

2. Does installing a new keypad mean the entire plastic piece that you touch also get replaced? If so, then that piece should look considerably newer then the plastic on the passenger door right? It doesnt.

3. Even if they did replace it in April 2016, how could i have the same problem a little over a year later?

Please confirm i'm not crazy. Thanks All !

14. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I believe the Securicode panel is a separate item and not part of the door molding. Trying to find that now on the parts site. So far no luck.

Peter

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. JohnnyDop

JohnnyDop Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      2012 Limited AWD
      Thanks for checking.

Are points 1 and 3 valid to prove they didnt install it?

16. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      In reading the post linked in #209 above, it seems that the pad is part of the black molding or applique as shown in the parts diagram;
      https://parts.levittownfordparts.co...engine/body-cat/exterior-trim-front-door-scat
      It would be difficult to tell if much time has passed since it was installed although having the same issues is suspicious. How long ago was it supposedly replaced.
      Most genuine Ford parts have 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty. https://www.fordparts.com/FileUploa.../Service parts warranty statement_10.1.13.pdf

Peter

17. JohnnyDop

JohnnyDop Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      2012 Limited AWD
      At most it was replaced in April 2016 but could have been done later than that. I'm waiting for my wife to confirm that. She's there now.

18. Eyespy12

Eyespy12 New Member

2012 Ford Explorer XLT
      Hello,

I can confirm the Securicode panel is part of the entire moulding. Just got mine in the mail yesterday. Hoping for a smooth install on Monday or Tuesday.

19. JohnnyDop

JohnnyDop Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      2012 Limited AWD
      Any chance you can snap a picture of it? Thanks.

20. Eyespy12

Eyespy12 New Member

2012 Ford Explorer XLT
      I'm out of town right now. But google image search the part number DB5Z-7820555-AB and it's the first pic that comes up. I'm hoping to document the replacement process for others to use as I can't find a YouTube vid or photo instructions

21. JohnnyDop

JohnnyDop Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      2012 Limited AWD
      Thanks. I just looked at my invoice and it says they installed a new one. Look at the part it proves that if they replaced the panel it would have i would have noticed a new, shiny, and scratch free panel and it would have worked. The new plastic panel would have stood out especially since i'm very keen to scratches and such. Either way, as PeterK9 showed me, the part should have a 2 year warranty so all these points should be moot. Then again, and not sure why, my invoice says parts have a 1 year warranty. I'm calling them now, i'll let you know what happens. Cant wait to see your install video.

22. Eyespy12

Eyespy12 New Member

2012 Ford Explorer XLT
      Installed mine today. You would definitely notice a difference in the glossy, scratch free panel of a new one as opposed to the old stuff. Hopefully the dealership took care of it for you.

23. xxboarderxx

xxboarderxx Member

2013 Ex
      Sorry for reviving an old thread but my keypad is also defective. Some of the number don't work but others do. Just wondering how the install went, was it easy and was it only the DB5Z-7820555-AC part that was needed?

Thanks

24. Eyespy12

Eyespy12 New Member

2012 Ford Explorer XLT
      Hey xxboarderxx,

The install was fairly easy for me. The hardest part was removing the interior door panel but I used this website as a cheat sheet. (Ford Explorer Interior Door Panel Removal Guide - 2011 To 2015 Model Years - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions) Removing the actual Securicode panel or "applique" as it is known, is really easy. Just start at the top, take a plastic non-marring tool and work your way down. There are 2 strips of 3M tape holding it on and a couple clips. Work the tool down each side of the 3M tape and it removes easy. Use the tool or just pull at the clip points to remove them. When removing mine at the middle clip point, the panel snapped in 2 pieces. So you may want to wear gloves when pulling as the plastic was sharp where it snapped off. If it does snap, it is actually easier to work with.

Once removed, roll your thumb down on the excess 3M tape that's left over. It comes off easily, basically just rub it off. Now, the securicode panel is connected to the computer by a wire that connects in the middle of the door. There is a plastic covering on the interior door panel, peel back the plastic and giggle to the wire from the securicode panel and you'll feel the connecter up in the door. I was able to remove the old and reattach the new with one hand up in the panel. Basically unclip the old panel (unhook the battery before this to be safe) and pull the wire up. Run the new wire down and then align the panel, remove the tape covering and snap the clips into place. Press up and down the panel to ensure the new 3M grips. Then reach up in the door panel and attach the new one. At this point, reattach your vehicle battery and your factory code will work. Replace the plastic covering for the door and reattach the interior door panel.

That's pretty much it and you'll save about $300 of labour for the install fee. Mine still works perfect to this day. I bought the part on EBay.ca from seller big-3-oem-auto-parts. He has the part for sale for $175.50 USD today. The listing title is "2011-2016 Ford Explorer Front LH Driver Door Keypad Trim new OEM DB5Z-7820555-AC".

I actually have some photos and video of the process...but I have no idea how to upload those to this site. Hopefully this is helpful to you. Good Luck!

• Like Like x 2
    25. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Taking out an Elite membership will allow you to post directly from your device. As shown at the top of the page, until Nov. 30th you can get 2 years for the price of 1.
      You can also find a 3rd party hosting site and link to it but those pictures are not saved to out servers and can disappear at any time. An Elite membership also goes to help support the site.

Peter

26. xxboarderxx

xxboarderxx Member

2013 Ex
      Thanks for the quick reply Eyespy! I will have to sit down later tonight and really work through what you are saying but it sounds doable. Originally, I went to the dealership and they wanted $150 to first diagnose the problem. Then the part was about $350 taxes in and 3 hours to install. Add all of that up and you are looking at close to $900 for the job. No thanks!

If you have pictures, I would certainly love to see them. I can PM you my personal email if you are up for sending them.

Cheers!