and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

LA cops shoot old lady.

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by rookieshooter, February 9, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      Year and Model:
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      Kathy Merkosky, 53, was outside her stucco home pointing out the six bullet holes in the bumper and grill of her silver Acura MD-X. She knew her truck was damaged when she spotted it on television and "saw fluid flowing into the street."

Her Ford Focus was hit as well — a bullet shattered the windshield and another flattened a front tire.

"I've never heard gunfire on my street," Merkosky said. "Or ever in my life.... I hope they catch the guy so all this craziness will end."

Goo also was startled by the early-morning blasts.

"When I heard all the pop-pop-popping, I dropped to the ground, crawled around and pulled my wife out of the bed and I got on top of her," he said.

Goo said he could hear the bullets hitting the front door and feared they were coming through the house. He said he called 911 for the police, but was notified that they were already there.

(911 Operator: "Ahh yes sir the officers are on scene. In fact it's their bullets that are ripping through your home if that makes you feel any better. You see they are after a cop killer, civilians in their way are will be considered collateral damage..."):eek:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. TheGTkid

TheGTkid Active Member

City, State:
      Jackson, Michigan
      Year and Model:
      2002 Ford Explorer XLT
      Wow, and the gov't thinks civs don't need guns? or magazines larger than 10 rounds
      Obviously those 25 holes are from more than 10rnd magazines!
      I will turn my larger than 10 round mags in once the govt enforces this on the military and police, this is ridiculous....

thumbs up to Anime! haha, love it

4. FIND

FIND Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Vermillion, SD
      Year and Model:
      99 XLT V8 AWD
      Good idea. I might want to do the same. I am white, but I am also 6'2 with a similar build to him, and I drive a black 4 door Explorer, so I could easily be mistaken for him.

5. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Tujunga, CA
      Year and Model:
      '99 XL 4x4 & '16 XLT
      word has it Dorner just stole a white Dodge pick up in Big Bear

6. cmhaah06

cmhaah06 Active Member

City, State:
      CLOVIS, CA
      Year and Model:
      91 XLT
      He has also fired on a road block shooting and injuring two officers. They have him possibly pinned down in a home in the big bear area where he is also believed to have committed a home invasion robbery as well.

7. Turdle

Turdle Check it out Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      Year and Model:
      2000 Mounty
      The guy who escaped and called police should get the reward!!!

8. Anime

Anime EF YEAH!! Elite Explorer

Year and Model:
      2016 EX Sport Concept
      Police seeking Dorner opened fire in a second case of mistaken identity

Torrance police say the man was driving a pickup resembling the fugitive's. The incident happened just after the LAPD fired on women delivering newspapers nearby.

David Perdue was on his way to sneak in some surfing before work Thursday morning when police flagged him down. They asked who he was and where he was headed, then sent him on his way.

Seconds later, Perdue's attorney said, a Torrance police cruiser slammed into his pickup and officers opened fire; none of the bullets struck Perdue.

His pickup, police later explained, matched the description of the one belonging to Christopher Jordan Dorner — the ex-cop who has evaded authorities after allegedly killing three and wounding two more. But the pickups were different makes and colors. And Perdue looks nothing like Dorner: He's several inches shorter and about a hundred pounds lighter. And Perdue is white; Dorner is black.

"I don't want to use the word buffoonery but it really is unbridled police lawlessness," said Robert Sheahen, Perdue's attorney. "These people need training and they need restraint."

A department spokesman said Saturday that the shooting is still under investigation. In a statement to The Times, the department said: "The circumstances of the incident known to the responding officers would have led a reasonable officer under normal circumstances — and these were far from normal circumstances — to believe that fellow officers were being shot at and that the vehicle traveling toward them posed a serious risk."

"In the split seconds available to them," the statement continued, "action was appropriate to intervene and stop the actions of the driver of that vehicle."

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/09/local/la-me-torrance-shooting-20130210

Interesting. A vehicle that doesn't match the description that isn't shooting at them led them to believe fellow officers were being shot at and the vehicle posed a serious risk, after fellow officers had just questioned the driver and let them go.

Sounds like they're just using the manhunt as an excuse for driving recklessly and causing a collision.

9. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Martinsburg WV
      Year and Model:
      84 BII "Li'l Samson"
      Tear gas being fired into cabin. Say goodby.

Update: Swat team enters cabin with all kinds of smoke coming out, dark colored smoke.

10. Turdle

Turdle Check it out Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      Year and Model:
      2000 Mounty
      Heck, they shot him and now have started the BBQ to take care any questions.

11. RockRanger

RockRanger Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Fresno CA
      Year and Model:
      86 ranger no more
      Callsign:
      KK6TDL
      Only good that can come of this for me is that the LAPD will decide they need more shooting ranges to train officers to be a better shots and I can start working on the west coast instead of the east coast.

12. rookieshooter

City, State:
      Martinsburg WV
      Year and Model:
      84 BII "Li'l Samson"
      If he is in fact a Crispy Critter now and he's out of the picture for good. You can bet the attention is going to be on the conduct of how the LA cops came so close to killing so many people. They could have conceivably killed and wounded more people the Dorner by direct hit or all the stray bullets flying around the crime scene. And it should be a crime scene.

13. Stic-o

City, State:
      Tujunga, CA
      Year and Model:
      '99 XL 4x4 & '16 XLT
      They're shooting range is actually a few miles from me;) Up Lower Tujunga Canyon. We use to play in there shooting range on the weekend as kids:D

14. Stic-o

City, State:
      Tujunga, CA
      Year and Model:
      '99 XL 4x4 & '16 XLT
      I thought of leaving my Grey crew cab 150 at home for a few days...trust me

15. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      Year and Model:
      1998 Ford Explorer
      At this point, I think it's safe to say that you might as well leave everything at home.. just go out naked, no one is going to shoot at a naked guy. They might arrest ya, but they won't shoot ya ;)

16. leebo

leebo Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Mingo Junction, OH
      Year and Model:
      1994 Explorer Sport
      Best idea EVER!

17. Anime

Year and Model:
      2016 EX Sport Concept
      Wishful thinking. The corruption is not just in the LAPD itself, the problem isn't just the conduct of the officers. People in every part of the legal system at every level are involved, and cover for the LAPD at every point in the legal process.

Most stuff you'll never find out about, like the crimes that the people who were shot at by the LAPD are charged with to try and justify the shooting, the twisting of the laws and legal rights that are done to keep them legally occupied for years, the lawyers, judges, politicians and others who are bought off or threatened or killed to keep the status quo.

The LAPD and most other law enforcement agencies can kill just about anyone they want to, with impunity, and use public resources and tax money to do it with. Just how it is. Welcome to America. :usa:

18. Birdy

Birdy Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Richland Hills, Texas
      Year and Model:
      1997 5.0 XLT, 96 4.0 ohv

These specific people don't need training and restraint, they need to be fired!

19. Anime

Year and Model:
      2016 EX Sport Concept
      How do you fire people who can kill you and/or charge you with a crime and send you through the legal system for years? That's the problem. There is no "firing" of the people who are the problem, just the corrupt people firing or getting rid of the people who won't play ball.

As for the latest developments, it'll sure get pretty interesting if that person who was burned to death in the cabin turns out NOT to be Dorner. But I have confidence they'll be able to justify that too, because of course anyone who shoots back when strange people outside your private cabin show up and just start shooting at you must have been a criminal anyway.

20. Birdy

Birdy Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Richland Hills, Texas
      Year and Model:
      1997 5.0 XLT, 96 4.0 ohv
      True in many cases I'm sure, Anime. And what if the reason for being burnt up is because it wasn't him??

21. FIND

FIND Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Vermillion, SD
      Year and Model:
      99 XLT V8 AWD
      I thought for sure they would find out later that it was Goldilocks or Sasquatch. Either way, I said it once I heard it, if that is Dorner in that cabin, they wouldn't be taking him alive, whether he surrendered or not. These cops were never out to capture him, killing him was the priority from day 1.

22. Birdy

Birdy Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Richland Hills, Texas
      Year and Model:
      1997 5.0 XLT, 96 4.0 ohv
      Wonder how many copycat killers could follow, and how out of hand would that get?

23. Stic-o

City, State:
      Tujunga, CA
      Year and Model:
      '99 XL 4x4 & '16 XLT
      There is a video from one of the local networks of the gunfight or at least close enough where you can see the cabin in the background , and your waiting for a bullet to hit the camera. I'll post it up once I can find it on the net.;)

24. rookieshooter

City, State:
      Martinsburg WV
      Year and Model:
      84 BII "Li'l Samson"
      Anime I know all well too much about police brutality, and their so called Blue line. I grew up in the same county in Md (Prince George) in the 60's that had the infamous PG Death Squad. Research it. My best friend Eddie, I wont' reveal his last name just happened to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Somebody just shot a PG cop and thought Eddie might, I mean might had something to do with it. To extract info from him they took pinned him down and systematically started breaking his fingers with their baton. They let him go after thinking this guy knew nothing about it. Years later Eddie who was then a PG Postal worker sued them and won. Got a tremendous amount of money. The one thing that was the smoking gun was they never charged him or placed him under arrest before torturing him.
      I was just a teenager back then and they harassed me causing me to loose my drivers lic. three times. One police officer even pulled me over and told me he was watching me all the time, then what he did next was what got my father involved who worked for the Fed Gov. He pulled down from his visor my driving record and said I'll add some more to this list. After my father got involved the harassment stopped.

Quote from Baltimore Sun
      The police carried what they called clean weapons, after some shootings if the weaponless victim did not have a weapon, they would just toss down a knife or gun next him. Of course no police officers finger prints would be on it.

And the killing still went on for a long time.
      Here is a quote from the Washington Post years after the Death Squad was busted up.
      And that's why I knew they would not take him alive, he just knew too much. Of course they told the circling air craft to get out of the area. But the cover ups by the police will start in earnest after this. Just too much talk going around social media now to deny it.
      Next they will be looking for his accomplice who had property at Big Bear.

And after all this America is still the best county...bar none.

Last edited: February 13, 2013
    25. Anime

Year and Model:
      2016 EX Sport Concept
      Interesting your dad was able to stop the harassment, a shame he wasn't able to do more and help eradicate the problem entirely.

Probably not as bad as the death squads, but the county I live in now has one of the most corrupt law enforcement systems in the south. They harass, beat, rape, and kill whoever they want. It even makes the news but it's always reported that there are no suspects in the crimes, but police somehow were already on the scene. No one says the obvious, though. Speak up and you'll be the next victim. If they don't injure or kill you, they'll arrest you for something, and the judges and lawyers will all get together before your 'trial' to agree what you're guilty of and how to arrange the facts and make sure you get the right sentence to ensure by the time you're out, you're singing the tune they want you to. The Arayan Brotherhood and the *** are alive and well in the politics of the south and throughout it's legal system, so it's mainly whites harassing and terrorizing the blacks, but if you're white but not white enough, that's bad too.

The real interesting part is, everybody knows, but noone is willing to do anything about it. The local FBI agency is in with the local cops, so no help there. The state attorney general is too scared to have anything to do with it. The ACLU won't come near here, even if you had a million witnesses and hundreds of video recordings of someone being beaten, raped and killed all in the same hour. They know the system is rigged, and there's no getting around it. The only private attorneys are in with the courts, there are no lawyers to defend civil liberties, civil rights, or human rights here, they've either given up and moved or were run out of town or worse. I'm not sure how much Washington knows, but I'd have to assume they know but they just allow cops a little bit of leeway, and as long as it's only a certain number of people getting injured or killed, it's not that big of a deal as long as it doesn't attract any national attention.

The little justice we do get happens when the cops accidentally mess with someone who's important or has money to put up a fight. Doesn't really change much, things might cool down for awhile, but it's back to business as usual soon enough.

So plenty of us are used to cops doing what they want and getting away with it. I'm sure the people in L.A. are, too. I would guess that the few cases of the cops shooting and going after citizens are only the ones that have made it to the media. There are likely many, many more that have not been reported, maybe because some of them were minor incidents with no shootings or car crashes, just the usual harassment, but some might be because their victims didn't live to talk to the media afterwards.

26. Scott B.

Scott B. Well-Known Member

City, State:
      GA
      Year and Model:
      '93 Ranger XLT, 06 FX4 L2
      Firing them won't really do any good. They need to go to jail - let the prison "system" work on them.

Of course, if they ever see a jail cell, it will be in a minimum security resort, not a maximum security facility. :(