• Register Today It's free!

Larger wiper blades

EvilTheCat

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer
I just figured I throw this up in case anybody was curious.

I needed new wiper blades, but thought that the stock ones looked awfully small. I ended up buying 20" rather than 18" and they clear a lot more of the windshield without hitting anything. You could probably go up to 21" if you wanted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have also been running longer blades for about 3 years now without any problems and they don't hit the edge or anything. I can't remember what length I have been getting now because I just measure my blade before I buy new ones.

I ran 22s on my 2000 and they were perfect. I just have 20s on the 94.

Just remember that larger wiper blades is more wear on the motor and linkages.... Although I'm using slightly larger blades. 19 or 20 I think

They do put more stress on the linkage, mine is now kinda sloppy and hits the windshield molding now. I'm running 20 in blades now rather then the 22.

how long have you run the larger blades?

22 for the last 4 year's, just put 20's on it not too long ago. But it could also be the age and mileage of the vehicle as well. Idk but i can tell a difference in the speed it wipes when using the window washer between the 22's and 20's.

Oh ok. I think I've been running 20" instead of the oem 19. I just added an extra inch and mine still work fine in the 3 years I've had them.

Good idea.

I’m running larger up front. I was also running a larger in the rear, I just trimmed the top half back slightly so I could get the fullest swipe.

I’m running larger up front. I was also running a larger in the rear, I just trimmed the top half back slightly so I could get the fullest swipe.
In the rear too? I began with a 15" rear, when I learned that both 14" and 15" were options. The 15" I had more trouble with it going off the glass, there was previous scratching from before I bought the Mercury. I swapped to a 14" blade and it worked with no more drama. I'd like a longer one, but I'm going to have the 02/03 Sport in-glass wiper soon. That one shouldn't have the regular problems. With this idea to make the front larger, I might try a little upgrade for the back then.

Maybe I was using a 16 on the rear? I don’t recall. It went off the top, and right side, but I was able to trim it back. This was, of course, after modifying it to get a clean swipe in the first place.

Back