Last Repair Under Extended Warranty 2007 v8 4wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Last Repair Under Extended Warranty 2007 v8 4wd

ttbit

Reaction score
City, State
Maryville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 ST 5.0 sold
'07 ST8
Thought I would share my warranty and repair experience! Truck now has 132,000 miles on it and the extended warranty ended just days ago. I have owned it for just over 3 years and 36,000 miles.

My truck has had a little engine rattle for quite a while when driving slowly through parking lots and such. The brakes have been total shat since I have owned it and is my only real complaint with the truck. I replaced rotors and pads all the way around and both rear calipers, changed out the fluid and bled several times with no luck.

Took it to the dealer for its last warranty visit and said:

" I have a clunk in the front end that might be sway bar bushings or something. "
" I also hear a rattle that sounds mechanical. It sounds a little like timing chain noise. "
" My brakes are crap, I read that there is a brake pedal TSB "

I had the premium Ford warranty that covers everything.

They replaced the sway bar bushings, the brake pedal assy, the timing chain(s), tensioners, cam phasers, and chain guides. WHOA! Now that was worth the warranty. I didn't expect them to find anything. Brakes actually work normally for the first time ever and the engine is quiet. Too bad I am now only getting 16.5 mpg instead of the closer to 18 mpg I was getting before... I believe the clunk is gone in the front now too.

Previous warranty repairs include: passenger seat lumbar support, transmission leak (electrical connector o-ring), HVAC cold/hot air issue fixed, and transmission jerking (ecm flash) fixed.

Self work done includes replacing the radiator which went out the day after I bought it and before the warranty kicked in, and all required maintenance including spark plugs (scary but successful).

If you can get an extended warranty on your ST, do it! I was on the fence about it and boy was I glad I did. I don't think I would buy a newer vehicle without a maximum warranty.

Thanks to all on the forum who helped me make that decision 3 years ago!!!

Now I need to decide how long to keep it. I still owe about $5k on it. There is nothing new I really like, to be honest. The warranty included a rental car that I had for over a week (F150 Ecoboost). I hated the transmission in that thing, but was it quick! Too big for my needs. Maybe wait and see what the Ranger will offer? There does not seem to be anything that matches up to a Sport Trac right now.

Back