LCD screen in dash inop (intermittent) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LCD screen in dash inop (intermittent)

KayGee

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
I have been having intermittent issues with LCD screen and radio controls in 2016 PIU generating error code U3000 - Control Module (General Memory Failure) in Forscan.

Basically when this happens, the 4" LCD screen is black, radio doesn't work, and all radio buttons are inop - still beeps when backing up, but no image shows on screen. HVAC controls worked fine - not affected. The only way to clear it is to reset the module with Forscan or wait until the fault clears on its own which could take multiple restarts and anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours.

On a side note, the Forscan outputs don't seem to align with what the dealer is seeing. Forscan indicated that this DTC in FCDIM was present and MIL was On for this DTC. MIL was not on though and dealer said nothing showed up when connected to IDS and scanned. I had video of the screen being dead, but they were unable to duplicate.

Anyone else have similar issue or have any thoughts? Not sure if its the same issue affecting the MFT systems or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of OBD interface are you using? Are you able to scan medium speed CAN components?

IIRC, a u-code is a communications code. The true problem may be on a data bus your OBD interface can't reach.

That being said, the the FCDIM is usually an easy component to swap out (if necessary.)

ELM327 dongle with usb cable - has switch for HS and MS Can. When I connect, It looks like I am getting all the modules and everything seems to work. I read through the MFT Touch black screen issues which seemed to be APIM related, but I wasn't getting any codes from APIM.

I guess I'll have to wait until it happens again and see if the dealer can find an issue that is actionable.

ETA: came across this - https://ford.oemdtc.com/2774/front-...16-ford-edge-explorer-f-150-mustang#more-2774

Some 2016 Edge/Explorer/F-150/Mustang built on or before 01-Nov-2016 and equipped with a 4.2-inch FCDIM may exhibit a blank screen.

To correct the concern, Reprogram the FCDIM to the latest level using IDS release 104.02 or higher.

I guess I'll have to check with the dealer and see what level my FCDIM is at next time it goes in.

Just wanted to provide an update in case anyone else has/had same issue. Screen went blank again recently and I was close to dealer so I stopped by for them to check out vehicle while screen was blank (they wouldn't do anything with video or stored codes - had to see this problem in action apparently) - dealer confirmed problem and ordered new FCDIM.

FCDIM was replaced Monday this week - screen went intermittent black/blank again the next day. I checked and didn't see a stored DTC this time, so I will have to wait until it happens again and try to get it over to the dealer to look at while it is blank.

FCDIM??? :dunno:

Front Control/Display Interface Module

Apparently it's the small LCD and the module attached to it.

It would be interesting to note the firmware version in the new versus old if you have that information available.

There wasn't anything noted on my paperwork specific to firmware update, but I would hope they updated the newly installed module to the latest firmware. I will follow up with them on next visit.

ETA- FCDIM was replaced and reprogrammed again and problem hasn't recurred since. Not sure why it took 2 repairs to fix. Both times I ended up having to stop by the dealer when screen was dead so dealer could see issue was "real" - this dealer didn't seem to think the videos of it happening were real...

There wasn't anything noted on my paperwork specific to firmware update, but I would hope they updated the newly installed module to the latest firmware. I will follow up with them on next visit.

ETA- FCDIM was replaced and reprogrammed again and problem hasn't recurred since. Not sure why it took 2 repairs to fix. Both times I ended up having to stop by the dealer when screen was dead so dealer could see issue was "real" - this dealer didn't seem to think the videos of it happening were real...
I think we might be having the same issue . Radio LCD screen hard to read and then goes blank and then comes back and works fine . Radio works fine but can’t see the screen to change anything . What did the dealer charge you for that FCDIM?

I think we might be having the same issue . Radio LCD screen hard to read and then goes blank and then comes back and works fine . Radio works fine but can’t see the screen to change anything . What did the dealer charge you for that FCDIM?
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on June 29, 2020.

Peter

I’ve replaced a few APIM’s for issues like you have. Accessory Protocol Interface Module.

I’ve replaced a few APIM’s for issues like you have. Accessory Protocol Interface Module.
In a PIU, even if equipped with SYNC, the APIM doesn't control/drive the 4" display.

In a PIU, even if equipped with SYNC, the APIM doesn't control/drive the 4" display.

Anytime I’ve had a display issue on PIU’s or civilian Explorer’s, it’s always been the APIM for me. The APIM sends the display to the screen.

Without his car in front of me, it could be another issue like you said 👍

192A61F9-9524-49EA-ABAD-586C4AED13EC.jpeg

Back