LD50 1st gen Rusty rocker panel bodywork - rockerpanel replacement | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LD50 1st gen Rusty rocker panel bodywork - rockerpanel replacement

Hello fellow explorer enthusiasts!

Got some questions asked while doing my driver`s side rocker panel repair so I decided to write-up the other side. Hope I can help anyone out..

FIRST:

-Disconnect your battery, do not do any welding with your battery connected. Yes you might get away with it, but some components in your electrical system can be damaged by welding voltages. (plus you avoid any battery drain) Some people also disconnect their ECU and Alternator, I have never done this myself and have done quite a bit of welding on the Ex (You make the call)
-Take your doors off, they need to be well out of the way.
-Remove the trim from the lower areas of your door openings and pull the door seals out of the way
-Get some poly (plastic sheet) or your interior will get dirty. Tuck it in your trim where ya can, tape it in, whatever you decide is best.
-Throw a tarp at least over your front window to avoid getting sparks burns on it!

If you got your mojo goin` and you are following along, about an hour has passed and you should now see something like this in your garage:

doors off plastic on.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for posting this up. I'm getting ready to have to do this to my 2nd Gen. Not like I want to, but its gotta be done. This will help alot.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

hello first off thanks for this post i cant stand looking at this rust bucket anymore...
just wanted to know if this could be done with an arc welder? actually i have never welded anything before and a just found a small shop arc welder for real cheap and i would like to try this. can you give any tips on the welding side of this project??
Thanks for the help
Danny

I`ve never tried to weld such thin material with an arc welder. I am sorry I don't know much about it, it is probably doable but I`ve never looked into it. I guarantee a small wire feed is going to be easier for a beginner tho'.

ok well thanks for the reply and all the info already posted. maybe ill just wait alittle longer and see how it works im picking up the welder tonite after work.
Danny

This is a great write up, thanks for taking the time to put it together!

-Charles

LMC truck does have all the steel for the USA, and they are making special drill bits now for drilling spot welds instead of having to air chisel them apart. they cut the outer metal without drilling a hole all the way thru. another option is to just drill thru the spot welds and then weld the holes from the existing metal to the new pieces.

I just got finished having two holes 12"s long on each side of my ex. Now, i need to close up the tiny holes where the skirts were. Any brilliant ideas on how to fill them in before the snow hits?

The best thing is to weld some punched round metal pieces in there.

Temporarily you can buy some trim fasteners and plug the holes with them. put on some RTV sealant if you want it watertight.
I did this when I took my skirts off originally and rhinolined over top (Herculiner) The rust already had a foothold inside though, and eventually I had rockers like you see here.

The fasteners lookalike dis:

fastener.jpeg

Ok......would jb weld work at all? Ya ive got rust all the way to the front of the rockers but it hasnt shown thru yet....i just did the weld as a temporary fix til i get it done the way i want to next summer. I need to plug those holes tho. Can i get these at the auto parts stores or do i have to go to the local ford dealer?

I got my fasteners through the local auto parts store, give them the diameter of the holes and how many you need, there is a few different sizes of fasteners and you would want a tight fit. I think you have color options too, so ask. Mine came in like a box of 25 or something.
JB for making the fasteners stick? I would just go with an RTV sealant, it is cheap, and won't permanently stick them in there.You won't need alot or anything, the fasteners will fit tight, sealant is probably optional.

Only reason i suggested jb weld was cuz u had mentioned ppl welding those holes
Didnt know if jb would work.

Ill search for the fasteners today.

If it's temporary, heck JB would be great. Glob it in, sand it down, pain it w/ bed liner, good to go!

subscribing so I can find this again, mine has barely any doglegs left.

Rocker panel replacement.

Thank you VERY much! I don't have the equipment, but I know people who do. You're right, with so few miles it would be a shame to give up on it now. I decided to run synthetic oil a year ago, and the engine purrs like a kitten now. In extremely frigid cold, on a first turn, it turns over then bogs out, then I give it a second and start it again and it blazes right over. Idling high for about 2-3 minutes then dropping to normal. I towed a 20 ft inboard from Pittsburgh PA to Chicago with that little baby and I'd hate to lose now.

I've got some other questions but I'll stop here and review and digest your instructions on this one thing here for now.

And THANK YOU once more. I'm sure I'll be back here often.

Welcome to the forum.
This is definitely the place to find answers about your Explorer, any questions about my work just ask here, or PM me. Don't forget the search feature for finding other info on the site.

-cheers

Hey, I'm pretty new to the forum. I've got some things on my Explorer I would like to fix but i don't wanna send it to a shop. kinda like a project for me. I am around the beginner range so this explains a lot and is going to greatly increase my odds of doing it right. I have all the tools and what not but my main problem is I have a 96 sport and i can't find the dog legs anywhere. I replace auto glass for a living so maybe I'll ask one of the body shops I do work for if they can get them for me. But i know I'm gonna be on here often and I hope no one here minds a bit of a newbie asking lots of questions like i always do.

Thanks

I seem to recall sport parts being hard to find, I know they are not listed in my Cross Canada catalogue. Sorry I can't help.

Thanks

Awesome thread, doesn't look to be as bad as I had thought it WILL be!

Back