LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex SAS

Hey fellow Explorer enthusiasts!

Well I never thought I`d do it, but it`s time.
I originally thought I would go to a smaller rig one day but I`m going to beef up the Explorer instead. Since I already have a huge thread on my previous work I decided to start fresh.

If you would like to see my previous mods, you can navigate from my signature link, or click here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=523171#post523171

~

My plans are to install a D44 and 9-inch into the station wagon and run 35 inch tires. Hopefully she`ll still get in the garage, but if it don`t then oh well. During this I also have some body work to do.

Right now I have the rear end out, I took off the spare tire hanger and removed the muffler and rear most heat shield. (doors are off for body work)Next the gas tank comes out so I can prep the underside for rust protection, from the t-case back. In the meantime I am trying to sell some parts for cash.

First big decision is what gear ratio. The 4.10`s on 33s was nice, but I think I`d like a bit more torque than that so I`m thinking 4.88 or 5.13s.

Attachments

• prep.JPG
    prep.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 10,430

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should make the landings off those tuff truck challage jumps a little more pleasent:)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

:rolleyes:
Something`s wrong in the 9 inch, only one tire is being propelled. I thought it felt wierd on the trip home but thought it was the lower tire pressure. I think there`s a broken freakin shaft back there too!

LOL what? thats crazy? Your breaking everything!

Yeah, what the heck is going on, I thought this stuff was stronger than what I had. I wasn`t that hard on it was I?
I don`t know if I can salvage the bearings off my rear shafts either =$$$

Anyway, holidaying out of town for a week so I`ll pick up where I left off later.

:bdrunk:

When it rains it pours, here is the outer shaft yoke end from the unbroken driver`s side, which took a beating when the shaft broke on the passenger side. The U-joint on that side cracked a cap in the process of bending the yoke.

Attachments

• drivers side d44 u-joint elongation.JPG
    drivers side d44 u-joint elongation.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 595

If you broke a 9" shaft, I think the tire would come off. Its a semi float shaft and there are no c-clips to hold the shafts in, just the pressed on flange and it can slide off of that.

I dont think that it would. I do however think that you would notice it. The axles is still held in by four bolts at the shaft bearing.

I may be wrong. Never had it happen

The 9 inch shafts are entirely held in place by the 4 bolts, making c-clips unneccessary. To lose a tire, it would have to break somewhere after the bearing assembly, or tear off. I`ll see if I can lose a whole tire next time I go out tho, just to see :D .

If it could unpress itself free of the pressed on assembly it could happen whether the shaft was broken or not. Possible? Never seen it outside of possibly a demo derby, that`s a hell of alot of side pull it would have to see.

attachment.php

this is true. What kind of locker is in the rear?

The 9 inch shaft didn`t snap clean, it kinda exploded. Sort of a wierd break. I would say this one broke first and then the front snapped instantly after.

Attachments

• 9 inch shaft breakage 1.JPG
    9 inch shaft breakage 1.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 573
  • 9 inch shaft breakage 2.JPG
    9 inch shaft breakage 2.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 582

wow that is nice....Now i somehow broke my 9" 3rd member but never a shaft.

so are you replacing with cromoly axles or just stock replacements

Been wrestling with those thoughts, it would be a good idea to go stronger but the cost man, yeesh. We`ll see.

Dang man, you're hell on the equipment. I ran some tough trails at Tellico back in June and the only axle component I broke was a u-joint. I'm running a mini spool in my 9" and a Lockright in the D44 with 35's and 4.88's.

I would just buy stock replacements for the time being and then upgrade to chromo stuff later on down the road.

Yeah well I did build it for slow crawling through trails in mind, I just haven`t really done that yet, what a dumbass I am sometimes...

I`m having a hell of a time finding axle shafts; the spirit of the anonymous donor axles is haunting me, trying to get a positive ID hasn`t proven to be a [rhymes with a kick you do when you are to far from the endzone for a field goal].

If y`all don`t remember, the axles were given to me as found, in a backyard attached to only a frame. Behind it, in the weeds, was a hood that looked like a Bronco or F-150 hood. The cast-in c-wedges on the Dana 44 led me to believe it was from a 78 or 79 Bronco or F-150. This was pretty well my only clue at the time. I ordered parts for my axle re-build for a 79 Bronco but did run into some snags with front inner seals and rear bearings that didn`t match up but they didn`t clear up where the axles came from since axles that used those parts were on many Ford vehicles.

So now I get to the point where I have to order axle shafts and am told that 78 and 79 did not come in the length (31&7/8" outer wheel face to shaft end) and big bearing size (slightly over 3") AND have a 28 spline shaft in either the Bronco OR F-150 of that vintage.
It was almost as if I was being told these shafts never existed anywhere, which was frustrating (it was even suggested they had been modified, umm not likely) if I hadn`t have had my shaft with me at the parts store they wouldn`t have believed me. The parts store of course knows the uncertain history of the shafts and are still looking into it

I`m looking deeper now though, the hood that was near the frame looked full-size Bronco-ish but so does older f-150 hoods. I suspect the axles may have been even older and from an F-150 after all. Darn I wish I got some pics of that hood.

I pulled the third member and had quite a fright when I looked at the mess in the spline hole and the broke end wouldn`t fall or be magneted out. I started thinking the inner splines were mangled and I just flushed 800 bucks down the drain in the shape of a Detroit locker. Fortunately there is a hole between the splines you can fit a drift pin through.
Just a light hit and the broke end fell out, and the inner splines on the locker still look perfect.
Here`s a pic along with the metal hunks and shavings I got out with the magnet..

Attachments

• 9 inch shaft breakage spline end2.JPG
    9 inch shaft breakage spline end2.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 568

Im not sure on the size but my axle shafts are 28 spline and are big bearing.

i didn't know the big bearing came in a 28 spline. hope you get it worked out.

Back