Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

leaf spring bushing sizing and suppliers

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by bstewart, March 31, 2016.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Rhett

Rhett Let Them Eat Cake Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 Sport 4x4
      Ok, so that makes sense...the flange AND the washer-bushing on the inside of the framerail. That's contrary to the picture they have on their instructions...unless it's a view from the rear.

Slight correction, the new part# for OME36 is CS042R not CS04R. I don't have them installed yet. :) As you probably know guys who have them say they offer stock-ish ride and more flex along with 2" lift, but that they are not really optimized for towing. I can tell you, they weigh considerably more than the OEM pack I have, as you would expect. Their rear eye is larger than stock also...

....the Energy Susp 3.2125 bushings (http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/3.2125) appear to be too small for the OME36/CS042R rear eyes. (!) Sadly I bought the 3.2125 kit. Now I need to find something a little larger diameter. Leafs won't go on today.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Anchorage, Alaska
      '97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
      Yeah, and the wording in the instructions is pretty terrible.

D'oh, typo on my part. Thanks for the correction.
      Per OME page, it's 1.5" lift I believe. Regardless...
      They are heavy buggers no doubt.
      They also seem to be a hot commodity in the land down under. Took 4 months for me to get mine from a local shop.

Rear eyelet is not larger on mine. The poly bushings from the full kit (4.2124) fit fine without the use of an OEM-style rubber bushing outer sleeve.
      For the front eyelet, you must re-use the outer metal sleeve from an OEM-style rubber bushing. FYI. In case the ones you have are still new.

3.2125 is for the front eyelet; though it requires the re-use of the outer metal shell of an OEM-style rubber bushing. Without that sleeve/shell, the bushing will be too small.

4. Rhett

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      Took me 8 months to get mine... yeah, it was ridiculous.

Your rear eyelet is not larger than the front eyelet? Mine is. Much larger diameter.

Can you tell me the part # of your rear leaf eyelet bushings that fit your CS042R's? It should be stamped on one end of the bushing.

5. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Anchorage, Alaska
      The FRONT eyelet is larger than the rear.
      Per OME/ARB, it uses the same exact bushings as the OEM leaf packs.
      3086 is the bushing that fits the rear eyelet.
      Even the shoulder of that bushing (3086) is a smaller diameter than the inside diameter of the front eyelet.

3086 in rear eyelet:
      [​IMG]

3086 is front eyelet:
      [​IMG]

6. Rhett

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      Yes FRONT is larger. *But* front and rear are different sized on mine. See the following.

We're looking at an Old Man Emu / ARB CS042R leaf pack for 91-01 Explorer/et al:

overall (Small).JPG

And now we see the front eyelet. Note how it's nearly 2" in diameter, a little over 1.75":

front (Small).JPG

And now we have the rear eyelet. It's only about 1.25" or so and I have good bushings for it... rear (Small).JPG

So now, how can your springs eyelets be the same diameter? This is very strange.

7. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Anchorage, Alaska
      Isn't this what I stated? Front and rear eyelets are different sizes.
      ID is about 1.85" (47mm) on the front and 1.23" (31mm) on the rear.

8. Rhett

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought your pic showed you using 3086's for front and rear. I see now you were illustrating how the 3086 were too *small* for the fronts. I'm dense about 3/4 of the time.

This:
      ...is the key info I missed. So, 3086 for rear, and 3.2125 kit + re-use OEM shell for front.

9. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Anchorage, Alaska
      It happens to the best of us!
      And yes, that would be correct.

10. Sonic_Mikey

Sonic_Mikey New Member

1996 Explorer XLT 4L 4x4
    11. Rhett

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      Those would be an option -- especially if I destroy the OEM shells getting them out. It might be worth it just to buy new, but i'd really like to use these Energy Susp bushings.

12. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      ^ Agree. For durability, polyurethane vs. rubber = no contest. Poly RULES. JMO

13. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Anchorage, Alaska
      These are the ones I bought. I found that part from some other thread around here.
      Though they are still sitting in the freezer; been meaning to install. (In freezer because metal contracts in cold, eg hopefully making it easier to install.)

I've just been quite unmotivated to do anything lately outside work.

14. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      I "stuck" this thread. This is good discussion.

• Like Like x 1
      Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

15. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Anchorage, Alaska
      RB12ST are definitely the correct OEM rubber style replacement bushings for the front eye. Got them installed last weekend, and getting the leafs installed today. Got one side done.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Sonic_Mikey

Sonic_Mikey New Member

1996 Explorer XLT 4L 4x4
    17. Rhett

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      Good to know that we have options to buy these bushings.

An update for 1st gen guys installing OME36 Springs: The 1st Gen OEM front eye metal shells are *too small* for the 3.2125 kit front eye bushings. Or I destroyed my OEM shells to the point where they're unusable. That means you have two options. 1) buy the pre-made rubber-metal bushings as gavin and Sonic_Mikey have done above, or 2) fab your own metal shells.

I'm (attempting) to do #2, since I'm going to try to use these Energy Suspension poly bushings for the front eyes. I went to my local exhaust guy, and had him cut me two 2.5" long approx 1.75" diameter galvanized tailpipe sections. They are as thin as, or thinner than, the OEM shells. These were still too big to press in, cold and lubed.

I then cut a slit down the length of the shell. I was then able to press in the shell. However, due to the slit, one side of the shell overlapped a bit on the other, once it was pressed in. That may not bode well for the bushing, as you want a smooth inner surface there. I may end up making a wider slit, or grinding down the overlap in some way.

In hindsight buying the pre-made rubbers may be the best solution for the front leaf eyes.

18. Rhett

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      So, I ended up making my own leaf spring front eye bushings. I'll post some pics. I experimented with a couple of sizes of galvanized exhaust pipe. This one didn't work, even after cutting, etc. :
      pipe.JPG

I ended up going to my exhaust shop, and had them cut me two 2.5" long, 1.75" diam galvanized exhaust pipe. I then cleaned them up with a grinder, then dremel tool, froze them, lubed them, and they still would not press in to the OME36 eye. I then threw caution to the wind, slit them lengthwise using a cutting wheel, and that did the trick. The result? Perfect fit, but I used the smaller Energy Suspension *2061* bushings which come in the "91-94 Explorer Hyperflex Master Kit". I could not get the larger bushing (the ones in the 3.2125 kit) to fit with a shell in the OME springs. The result (sorry for the blurry pic):

bush1.JPG

I would have gone the route gavin and Sonic_Mikey suggest, above (they give two links to rubber/metal shell bushings) or the 01-02 Sport Trac leaf bushings, but by that time I already had a lot of time invested in my Frankenbushings. Anyway, pic with POR15'ed frame, and springs on:

POR.JPG

Again I apologize for the blurry pic, but you 2nd gen guys take it easy on me for that. I must have had the shakes from working dawn to dusk on this thing.

19. Rhett

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      I can report on this now that I've installed these leafpacks. On my 1st Gen Sport, the Old Man Emu CS042R / OME36 leaf springs have given me 2.5" of lift in the back, but that may be deceptive -- my old leafs were sagging. I expect the new OME leafs to settle some, so I'll see what I end up with. I still think their 1.5" is conservative and/or based on a heavier 4-door 2nd gen truck.

You asked about impressions. Not to hijack this bushing thread too much, I'll say this, they are nice riding springs -- very tight, but not jarring ride. I have not had a chance to test their flex yet. One neat thing, with the old worn-out factory leafpack, when I started my truck, the rear end would shudder/shake. Now, I turn the key, and the engine starts, but the truck does not move at all -- very strange feeling considering that I was accustomed to it. Additionally, the shaking/shimmy I got at speed (60-68 mph) is now just about gone, and I haven't touched the front end yet.

Glad I ran across this bushing thread, it was very helpful throughout the whole process, and I hope my experience with making a front bushing shell means that people will go the easy route and buy the bushings linked above. :)

20. Sonic_Mikey

Sonic_Mikey New Member

1996 Explorer XLT 4L 4x4
      These are the lift measurements I got after the install and TT using a Hunter alignment machine
      [​IMG]
      This is with 3/4 of a tank of gas. LF torsion bar maxed and RF around half.
      [​IMG]

I never bothered with a before measurement since the sag on the left was insane lol

21. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Anchorage, Alaska
      I wish I had the access to do that myself :(

22. Rhett

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      Nice setup! I don't have anything like that. I measured FTG (fender to ground) but I should have done fender to hub. I do notice my driver's side STILL sags slightly from the pass side -- which could simply be because the fuel tank is there. Or, I may correct that completely when I get my front coils on.

23. BigCore1990

BigCore1990 New Member

City, State:
      Washington, MI
      2002 Sport Trac
      Anyone know what the inner diameter of the metal sleeve is on the rear spring eye for the 98's? I have the master set from Energy Suspension and I was going to turn down the poly bushing to fit the metal sleeve. If not, I'll try and get some measurements tonight. Anyone else tried this?

24. anti eloi

anti eloi New Member

City, State:
      Austin, TX
      '98 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
      I beleive the inner diameter of the front eye on my 1998 is 1.75 inches WITH the outer shell left in the eye.
      energy suspension bushing number: 3.2125 fit perfectly.