Leaking antifreeze from rear of engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking antifreeze from rear of engine

crazyp

Reaction score
City, State
New york
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Mazda B4000
I have a 1996 Mazda B4000 4.0L V6 that is leaking antifreeze from the rear of the engine and dripping down where the transmission and motor meet. I have read some post on this site and it sounds like it may be a freeze plug. I had a slow leak for a few months now and could never find it I would have to add a little to the reservoir every week and a half or so, but all of a sudden in this crappy weather it all leaked out on the highway and I had the truck towed home. I will get a better look during the daylight tomorrow but if it is just the freeze plug how likely am I going to be able to replace it in my driveway with the engine still in the truck? Does anyone have any tricks or ideas about reaching the back of the engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you may be able to use a small mirror to look back there. I believe there are rubber replacement frost plugs available, may be easier for you to install than a brass one if that is indeed your problem.

you may be able to use a small mirror to look back there. I believe there are rubber replacement frost plugs available, may be easier for you to install than a brass one if that is indeed your problem.

Thanks for the mirror idea. I forgot that someone gave me one of those mirror on a stick things. I hope that its just a freeze plug I dont have the money for a costly repair right now.

It sounds like a pesky rusting freeze plug(core frost w/e you call them). Most of them you can replace very easily with the engine in the car. There may or may not be a couple on the rear of the engine that might require dropping the transmission. If you replace on though you might want to replace them all. They are not that expensive. As for the rubbers, I would not go with those myself; i would stick to brass. Use a large socket and tap it in with a hammer....Good luck.

It sounds like a pesky rusting freeze plug(core frost w/e you call them). Most of them you can replace very easily with the engine in the car. There may or may not be a couple on the rear of the engine that might require dropping the transmission. If you replace on though you might want to replace them all. They are not that expensive. As for the rubbers, I would not go with those myself; i would stick to brass. Use a large socket and tap it in with a hammer....Good luck.

Thanks. If it is a freeze plug it definatly is on the back of the engine the antifreeze drips down the top of transmission as it tapers away from the motor and then drips down the side. I don't know if I will be able to drop the transmission or not, I have never done it but i am confident I could if I tried. Its just a matter of getting the truck up high enough. I have ramps, jack stands, and a small hydrolic jack. How high would i need to get the truck to drop the transmission?

Well first thing is first. Find where its leaking from. If you can't clearly find it with a flashlight and a little bit of gumbying yourself...i would drain the coolant....and pressurize the coolant system with air so it will blow air out the hole...something like that. Use your imagination. You can also always take it down to your local community college auto shop...they'll charge you like a twenty-fifty dollar lab fee but they'll do all the work whatever it needs. You also have to supply the parts too of course.

Thanks everyone for the info. I am still looking for the leak I think i need a little bigger mirror as I have not yet found the leak. I am going to buy a pressure tester but if anyone has a diagram or photo of the 4.0L engine that shows the freeze plug locations that would be awesome. I have also read conflicting ideas about the intake manifold gaskets causing the leak. can the intake manifold cause the antifreeze leak? I also read in another thread that a leaking intake manifold gasket can cause rough idle and stalling at idle. For the past month or so it has been running crappy sometimes at idle the rps jump from below 1000 to 2000 or so and sometimes it idle steady at 2500 rpms.

I just had one of those rubber plugs replaced. I wish the first owner would have used a brass one. My tech took the intake manifold off to gain access. plug ...cheap, access ... expensive.

Back