Leaking rear main - how do I replace it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking rear main - how do I replace it?

smithdh

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I thought there used to be instructions on how to drop the tranny and replace the rear main but I can't find them now that I am ready to venture into the unknown.

Do I need to remove the transfer case then the tranny? Looks like a project but I am too cheap to pay somebody else if I don't have to.

Thanks for any advice,
Dave

1993 Explorer 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove trans and transfer case....then flywheel....Then remove and replace seal(hope that the oil pan is not leaking from the rear) and reinstall everything.

Sometimes, I don't know about this one, you can slide the transmission back just enough to get the rear main in. Thats how a 4.0L Cherokee is atleast!

-Drew

OK, I have it up on 4 jack stands and am starting to tear it apart...

Good luck smith. Do you have a body lift installed? If so this will make life ALOT eaiser to remove the trans, if not its still doable but a bit harder. If ya need any help or questions answered post em here. I am sure there is 20-100 people that could answer.

Best of luck manno!!!!

I'm going to need to do mine eventually. I went to start my X yesterday. Check oil light came on. I checked it the thing only had 1 quart left in it! I go on 3K miles oil changes. But it's been about 4 months since my last one. Only have 600 miles till it's gets changed again. I bought this stop leak stuff that's supposed to seal leaks. I added that today along with 3 quarts of oil. It's a *****. The tranny ,X-fer case, exhaust, crossmemsbers, most everything from the engine back needs to come out. If you doing all that I'd take the few extra hours & change the oil pan gasket, & any other thing you can think of that might leak or wear while it's apart.

Back