and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

leaking transmission at bell housing

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by tim b, May 6, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. tim b

tim b New Member

City, State:
      Windsor, Ontario, Canada
      Year and Model:
      1994 Sport 4x4
      I've noticed a small leak at my bell housing on my '94 Explorer Sport. It has an automatic transmission. I was towing a trailer from Windsor to Toronto and back and noticed a puddle in the drive way after it sat for about 30 minutes. I added fluid the next day and there was only a few drops on the ground. The engine and trans were under a pretty heavy load for 350 kms. both ways. any ideas of what has happened. Thanks, Brian.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Doug

Doug I'm Awesome! Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sykesville, MD
      Year and Model:
      Is it motor oil or transmission fluid? If its motor oil you might have spun or damaged your rear main seal. If its transmission fluid you might have blown a seal or something.

4. tim b

tim b New Member

City, State:
      Windsor, Ontario, Canada
      Year and Model:
      1994 Sport 4x4
      It's definately automatic transmission fluid.

5. Goober

Goober Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Lexington, SC
      Year and Model:
      '91XLT4x4
      Sounds like the seal has popped. I believe it was about $150 to get it replaced. If in doubt, go to a few mechanics, they should give you an free estimate after inspecting it.