• Register Today It's free!

Leaning to the left?

okcsport

Reaction score
City, State
OKC, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
i noticed that the explorer has a nasty lean to the left side (looking at the rear). i adjusted the torsion bolts trying to get it level, but it is still 3/4" lower on the driver side. It seems to be more uneven in the back than the front. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is VERY common on the Explorer.

Reason:

Both the Driver, AND the gas tank are on the Drivers Side (Left).

Solution:

Swap the leaf springs from right to left.

Happy to help,
Ryan

thanks for the quick response. so i guess the driver side has began to sag over the years? If i swap them will the passenger side do the same thing?

you could try to adapt a B2 tank but that may be alot of work just to level it out, but it would center the wieght. just an idea i guess.

Easy way is to just swap sides and when the both get to bad, all a helper leaf.

I have swapped sides on my X's befor not to bad to do.. Common problem.

Gangsta lean gets stickied

This is a problem caused by the gas tank and your fat but being on the same side of truck.

Get a heavier girlfriend, or swap the leaf springs.

After swapping once, replace rear leafs.

Ok just swap springs. Can I get them rebent. Or do I need to get new ones. What boggles me is I just put the skyjacker lift on and it was with the add a leaf That would not have corrected the problem?

Swapping out the leafs should fix it, and once the new left spring sags after a few years, it's almost like having de-arched factory springs for a little bit more drop. Just lower the front to match and you're set.

How hard is it to swap leaf springs?

Is there some kind of writeup to swap leaf springs? I'm pretty much a rookie.

Thanks in advance,

ScAndal

It`s pretty easy, any write-up dealing with the removal of the leafs would teach you what you need to know...

LOL kidding right? Support rear of truck with jack stands on frame. unbolt leafs off of axle, unbolt leafs from hangers, swap sides with springs, and bolt back up in reverse order.

seriously, there is nothing to it but about 4 bolts and 4 U bolts.

has anyone done this and had any success??? cus i wana know if i should time into this or just buy a new leaf from the junkyard, on the right side of and exploder

I would say only replacing one side will almost guarantee that it will be still lopsided. You won't know the mileage or towing history of the truck you are pulling the leaf pack from.

swap side to side and you will probably sit pretty level pretty quick

pics or sticky or How-To

I'm with Scandal and beach, Jason. doing it and typing it is one thing but seeing it in pictures like some of the absolutely fantastic posts/threads on this site is another. It actually inspires me to see it done on in a picture by picture basis. Actually on Saturnfans.com, there's a guy (richpin) who video's his repairs and puts them on youtube! THAT was inspiring!!!

I think any writeup with removing the leaf springs would be sufficient. Such as how to add-a-leaf, or how to install shackles, or how to do a SOA conversion. It's really only bolts holding them in, take your time and be safe, there's really no way to mess it up unless you're a complete fool.

If you still have the g-lean after the spring swap, which you shouldnt. You should invest in some aftermarket rear leafs. Also have to think that most that are first gens are getting up there in age, and a new leaf pack may not be to bad of a idea to get the X back up in the rear.

I agree that video's of all repairs would be pretty cool, but the rear is really not to hard to do. Then again, I am one to tear into a motor and slap it back together without many issues. (torque specs)....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back