Leather weirdness | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leather weirdness

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
My '01 ST has the dark grey leather seats. They were in not-so-great condition, but other than the driver's seat bottom, not terrible. The smaller rear seat 1/2 has been in the down position for some time (close to a year maybe). It was relatively clean and nothing has been spilled on it. However, I went to put the seat up the other day and the leather on the seat bottom and back seemed to be stuck together and material was pulled off both surfaces.

If you've ever bought leather furniture you know about "bonded leather" and real leather. It looks like my ST's rear seat was covered in bonded leather the way the surface has pulled off. Anyone else experience anything this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting, is it a high option model, or the rest which is vinyl or fabric? I've had the back seats in mine peel apart a little, but just a sticking with no worry of damage. I'm used to the leather, mine have been the Limited's or the high end Mercury. The leather is only on the seating surfaces, the sides and back, top etc, are all vinyl, with leather headrests(front side, backs are vinyl).

It sounds like you will be hunting a similar truck to get the back seats from. Hopefully you can find a nice Sport Trac with all four seats in great shape.

Well, if one with a tan ST interior falls in my lap I'd consider swapping out the dark gray interior, which I've never cared for, but I'm not going to go out of my way to do much more to fix up this truck. I can live with it as is. I have ballistic nylon cover's on the front seats as it is.

As far as I am aware, there were only 2 seat covering options on the ST. Leather or cloth. The leather on most vehicles is for the seating area only. The rest of the seat is covered is vinyl. All of our Explorers and Mountaineers (with the exception of our '01 XLT & '97 Sport) had the leather interior, which proved to be very durable, but the cloth seats hold up very well also. The leather seats in the Limited model look plush, but are actually not as supportive as the ones in the lesser models.

Ditto, I know about the 98+ Limited seats. Those are just about flat, while prior seats were all formed very well. I slide easily on my 98 and 99 seats, at least the Mercury and regular models still had shaped seats.

Ditto, I know about the 98+ Limited seats. Those are just about flat, while prior seats were all formed very well. I slide easily on my 98 and 99 seats, at least the Mercury and regular models still had shaped seats.

Yes, I have a set of '97 Limited leather seats in my '54 F100 pickup and they're very comfortable and have the power lumber adjustment.

You could use a 2nd gen front seat, but I'm not sure if the rears will swap, I doubt that. I imagine those are enough different that it wouldn't be feasible.

Back