1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

LED Headlight Conversions

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2018 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by cobra671, October 12, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      Your thread has been merged with this one found using the handy 'Search' feature (upper right). Many existing threads on various topics can be found that way.
      I'm guessing that DRL is not required in your state. DRL can be turned ON by the use of an IDS tool that the dealer has. Many members have had that done. Apparently you can choose to have them on the amber lights or headlights from what I've read. I'm guessing that it can then also be turned OFF.
      On my '17 the DRL (mandatory) are on the low beams which are LED.

Peter

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Jon M

Jon M Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Mount Pleasant, SC
      2013 Explorer XLT
      I am very happy with the ones I installed.

As far as DRLs, mine are on these, and no issues.

They can be turned off, either by the dealer, or via Forscan. You can find a thread on that here in the forum.

4. Rob8484

Rob8484 New Member

City, State:
      Schoolcraft MI
      2013 Explorer Limited

Bummer that they are out of stock on Amazon! I will look around a few other places and see if I can find them.......thanks!!!

5. Rob8484

Rob8484 New Member

City, State:
      Schoolcraft MI
      2013 Explorer Limited
      Found another seller on amazon with them. Only $40.......seems a little cheap from the others ive seen. Most have averaged around $100. So are they that much better than the halogens?

6. Rob8484

Rob8484 New Member

City, State:
      Schoolcraft MI
      2013 Explorer Limited
      Last edited: March 2, 2017
    7. Jon M

Jon M Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Mount Pleasant, SC
      2013 Explorer XLT
      Yes, 9005 & H11. I think they are much better than the halogens. It's a brighter, whiter, cleaner light, and it doesn't fade as much at the edge of the beam's range.

I think I paid $50. I looked at the reviews, and they were equal or close to the ratings of the $100 ones, so I took a shot. They seem to be a solid company.

A lot of H11s on Amazon say they don't fit, but they do. I used these. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E6HDXHO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Same thing, solid reviews. If I'd been able to find H11s from Sirius LED, I would've gotten those.

One thing I really liked about the headlights is that they fit with no modifications to the dust covers, unlike the majority of the options out there, that require you to cut them.

I've never used HIDs, because they always seem to be so much more expensive, and they require mounting extra hardware. I prefer plug & play solutions.

The H11s I got do have more wiring, and a chip/capacitor/heatsink/something, that had to be secured. Not a big deal, and they work well.

Warning cancellers may be needed. They aren't on my LEDs, because their built in. That's true of many LEDs now, vs a few years ago. I have converted everything except my visors to LED, and only the turn signals required capacitors.

• Like Like x 1
    8. supr squirrel

supr squirrel Elite Explorer

Albums:
      '17 XLT
      Ok, @Fentress24, I've got a question. Did you do both bulbs at once or did you do one and 'test' to see if it worked and then do the other? I ask because I bought the identical lights as you and they aren't working....but I only did the passenger side (tried both lights before giving up.)

It doesn't seem like something you'd need both hooked up to work, but I suppose that might be the case. But I wanted to ask you (and others) who have done this mod if they did both at the same time prior to removing both halogens and then still achieving the same (bad) results. :-/

Edit: Problem solved, see next post. :)

Last edited: March 17, 2017
      • Like Like x 1
    9. supr squirrel

supr squirrel Elite Explorer

Albums:
      '17 XLT
      Thought about simply editing my post to Fentress and putting this in there, but figured I'd make a new post so anyone who encounters a similar issue will know to try this.

Before I get to that though, I have to say this really, really bothered me. I worked on electronics in the Marine Corps and not being able to solve this issue was really bugging me. On top of that my father-in-law is an electrical engineer (along with being a farmer, haha) and when I ran my 'troubleshooting' by him we both came to the conclusion that I'd covered all the steps and the LEDs were likely defective.

Flash forward to late this morning. I asked my father-in-law to come by so that we could wire both LEDs up at the same time. I didn't think it would work. He didn't think it would work. Nothing that I read online indicated that both had to be wired up for it to work correctly, either. But the 'troubleshooter' in me wouldn't let it go and that was the only thing I hadn't tried.....

...and they still didn't work. Bummed, we were just about to unhook the LEDs and reinstall the halogens when a thought came over me: what if the plug for the LEDs are wired backwards? We'd be hooking them up with the little 'nipple' that the 'fingers' on the plug grab on to the proper way (so that it locks.) I decided to flip my plug around to where the nipple was on the back side of the fingers. Success! Did it to my father-in-laws side and we now had working LED high beams. There is a rubber plug that fits very tightly inside the plug side of the LED that should keep it wired up correctly, but since the nipple and fingers are on opposite sides it isn't 'locked' like it should be. I didn't do it today (yet), but I will use electrical tape to make sure they don't wiggle apart (but, again, that rubber boot keeps things very tight, anyway.

TL;DR

If your LEDs don't work even after wiring them up, try flipping the plug around. It was kind of a last ditch effort on my part and thankfully that was the issue. :)

• Like Like x 1
    10. Jon M

Jon M Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Mount Pleasant, SC
      2013 Explorer XLT
      Unfortunately, a common problem on LEDs. I've converted everything except the visors, and I ran into many that I had to flip, turn signals, side markers, interior lights, tag lights...plug it in, it doesn't work, flip it, it works.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Manuel Garcia

Manuel Garcia New Member

City, State:
      D.N
      Ford Explorer XLT 2015
      Hello, I have leds in my explorer and sucks

12. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Did you add them in the head lights? As per your other post, your Explorer did not come from the factory with LED head lights. They are Halogen.

Peter

13. leon16

leon16 Member

2013 Explorer Limited
      Do you need high/low LED or low LED can do both high/low beam?

14. leon16

leon16 Member

2013 Explorer Limited
      Do you get both hi/low with those Car Rover LED? or do you need dedicated hi/lo LED?

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. 1995E

1995E Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Maryland
      95 + 11 Ex both XLT
      Do you have an 11 - 15 or 16 - current?

For 11 - 15 Explorers, the stock halogen is just one bulb for both high and low. No different filament. Beam pattern is controlled by a flap to shine above the cutoff. I'm happy with my fanless LEDs. I recommend not getting one with a plastic housing and getting one with a really good metal construction.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
    16. jsgoofn

jsgoofn Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Beautiful Colorado
      2015 Ex Sport
      Sorry if this is a post that has been addressed but I can't find what I'm looking for with the search function.

Has anyone done a straight swap from halogen to LED using the OEM halogen projector? If so, were there any issues? I have read that the LEDs are really bright but do not actually throw the light as far as the original halogens. I hate to waste $$ for appearance only and no improvement in down the road visibility. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!

:salute:

17. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Your thread was merged with this one. You may also wish to check anther one on a similar topic; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/headlight-led-upgrade.429160/
      Because LED bulbs are really bright, they are not recommended for reflector type housings. That is why you see halogens in them.

Peter

18. champco

champco Active Member

City, State:
      Minnesota
      2013 Explorer XLT
      I replaced the Halogens with LED 18 months ago and never regretted it foe one second. I have a 2013. New buld plugs right in and the dust cover snaps right back on. No Issues. The LED's I used have metal ribbons as heat sinks. There are more then one seller of this type. I have seen them priced from $40.00 to $100.00 Its a no brainer.

• Like Like x 1
    19. DB Explorer

DB Explorer New Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      2015 Explorer XLT
      Hey everyone! Good morning. If this is the wrong place to post, I apologize.

I just purchased a 2015 Explorer XLT that is pretty loaded. And I am very happy with how it drives so far - coming from an older Grand Cherokee, the Explorer drives so smoothly and quietly!

One thing that I would really love to do is swap out the stock front lights with LED headlamps and fog lamps, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which are the best option. I'm not very skilled in terms of modifications so the more "plug and play" the better.

I'm confused with the headlights because I am not seeing LED bulbs that are hi/low beam... Are there such things!?

Again, if this is the wrong spot to post, I apologize. I look forward to learning from the more seasoned members and who knows...maybe someday I'll become a "seasoned" member myself!

20. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Good morning and Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      I've moved your thread here so that you can get some more info on the project.
      The bulb you have now is actually not a Hi/Lo one. The light intensity is controlled by a shutter that retracts when you chose high beam. On low beam the bulb is partially covered by the shutter. If you check out post #10 you will see a picture of a partial conversion but if you check the link supplied there and check the compatibility chart you will see that the LED bulb is shown as not being compatible with that vehicle. Many people seem to think that you can just simply stick any kind of bulb in any kind of housing whether it be a reflector or projector. This just is not so. While doing so will no doubt improve the amount of light produced, there is no way to get a perfect beam.
      The housings are specifically designed for the type of factory bulb that it was designed for. There is a reason that reflector types come with halogen and not LED. LED produces just too bright a light to be properly handled by a reflector resulting in light splash. Here is an interesting article on LED;
      http://www.archlighting.com/technology/leds-understanding-optical-performance_o

Also, as per the linked article below; "Headlight reflectors and lenses are designed for a bulb of a specific output, size and shape. Altering any one of those elements may result in a different beam pattern that could stun, blind and annoy other road users."
      http://www.caradvice.com.au/278125/headlights-explained-halogen-v-hid-v-led-v-laser/

There are other threads/posts on conversions and for fog light upgrades as well. The Forum has a handy 'Search' feature in the upper right that you should familiarize yourself with. It may take some practice but it is useful for finding existing thread on many discussed topic. Good luck.

Peter

21. jsgoofn

jsgoofn Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Beautiful Colorado
      2015 Ex Sport
      These articles are very enlightening (pardon the pun....) but it seems as though many forum members are pleased with results of their LED conversion. I ordered a kit from CarID.com just to see if what they advertise is true. I expect them to arrive today and will post results. I am leaning toward what you say that it will not work, but I guess I just want to see for myself.

22. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      It will likely work but that doesn't mean it works correctly. It costs more $$ to do it the right way so that is why many go the less expensive 'plug and play' route.

23. jsgoofn

jsgoofn Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Beautiful Colorado
      2015 Ex Sport
      Makes sense...when you say to go the expensive route, I assume you mean a complete conversion of the whole assembly. Just for yucks, how much would that be? Also, would a plug & play HID yield similar results? There is an impressive set of HID conversion kits made by Morimoto (sp?) for $150 for both headlights. Are you familiar with them?

To tell you the truth, I am not sure why I even want to change a perfectly good system that is designed for my vehicle. I guess the cool factor enters the equation. But after I spend the money and I realize what I had was perfectly fine, I will just breathe a heavy sigh.....:banghead:

24. Fentress24

Fentress24 Active Member

City, State:
      Maryland
      2016 Ford Explorer Sport
      Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Glad you got them working, I hope you are enjoying them.

• Like Like x 1
    25. DB Explorer

DB Explorer New Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      2015 Explorer XLT
      Thank you, Peter, for putting my post in the correct place. And, I appreciate your input.

26. DB Explorer

DB Explorer New Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      2015 Explorer XLT
      After reading your post, and the two linked articles, I ask your opinion - should I just leave things well enough alone!? Or maybe try one of the silverstar or comparable bulbs?

• Like Like x 1