Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

LED Headlight Conversions

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2018 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by cobra671, October 12, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. expoman55

expoman55 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Upstate NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2015 Explorer Sport
      SO with all you experienced xploder guys do you think the LEDs are on par or above HIDs at this point? I did the HID conversion and love em but if the LEDs are brighter I could be convinced to move on perhaps..

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Theitalianjob76

Theitalianjob76 New Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      2013 Ford explorer sport
      Hello everyone I'm new to this I just bought yesterday a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport and I'm not sure should I go hid or LED and what are the pros and cons of both of them thanks in advance

4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Whatever you decide keep in mind the following;
      Headlight reflectors and lenses are designed for a bulb of a specific output, size and shape. Altering any one of those elements may result in a different beam pattern that could stun, blind and annoy other road users.
      http://www.caradvice.com.au/278125/headlights-explained-halogen-v-hid-v-led-v-laser/
      A proper conversion to HID would entail changing the entire housing in order to get a perfect focus which impossible with just a plug and play kit since the Halogen projector wasn't designed for HID bulbs. LED housing are made of a stronger and more durable material to withstand the heat generated at the base of the bulb.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
    5. expoman55

expoman55 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Upstate NY
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Italianjob.. Peter is absolutely correct done wrong and done right will make a huge difference for you but MORE importantly others coming at you.. We did a Diode Dynamics HID conversion to the 2015 reflectors ( to peters point NOT designed for HID) however we rotated the bulbs to the directions of DD and are very pleased over the last 2 yrs.. ( YES I have toyed with thoughts of LED) only because I am a tinkerer. I do do worry about what I do having an effect on others.. SO done right yes can be done without maga expense. DD were very affordable.

6. champco

champco Active Member

City, State:
      Minnesota
      2013 Explorer XLT
      Operationally the led are far superior.