Lets talk fuel vapor seperator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lets talk fuel vapor seperator

blue89bird

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer EB
99 Explorer 4.0 SOHC with dual charcoal canisters

I've been trying to track down a p0171/p0174 issue and in exploring the evap system thing I'm on to something...

On top of the gas tank is the dual charcoal canisters. Back a little further towards the front of the car is another rectangular box that I believe is the fuel vapor separator from what I've read.

Anyway, it looks like it has a hole on either side of it, but only one has a tube plugged into it.

Can anybody look at theirs and tell me if there are 2 tubes plugged into theirs, and if so, where does it go?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's this (9b328):

178247044.png

Except mine has a hole on either side, and only the one shown in the illustration is plugged in.

The other side of that canister(9B328) is open to the air. That is where the vapor system purges to the atmosphere after going through all of the canisters and filters. 9K313 is the inlet from the fuel system. Vapors then pass thru both of those filters(9D653) and the pump(9F945) then purges the system when prompted by the PCM thru 9B328 to the air.

Not likely the EVAP system would throw Bank 1 & 2 Lean Codes.
EVAP canister issues would normally trigger P0440-455 DTC's.

Back