Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

any updates on this? would like to see some pics

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like to see this too, but done right, with upsized tires and nice wide rims. I always wanted to go lower with mine, but after this last winter and actually having gotten stuck in snow that was up to the doors, I now would potentially consider this mod.

This is a PS someone on here did a while back when the topic of Off Road Explorers was first brought up in 2011.

liftedExplorerPS.jpg

If it would be possible to make that happen right there that'd be the sickest car on the road. That looks real good

Omg that pic is EPIC! Throw some Bushwacker flares on there and daaaaauuum!! Might have to start saving some dough for that mod...

If it works it works, but I bet that the 3.08 gear ratio and bigger tires are gonna make that crossover a bit of a dog. When somebody comes out with gears for the 5th gen and anybody can tell me what the rear axle is on the 4WD models, ill get excited.

Ford considers the new AWD Explorer an SUV. The Flex is a crossover. My MKT is a crossover. You don't require a body on frame to be considered an SUV.
Body on frame vehicles are a dying breed. Hardly anyone wants them any more and even when they were available, I'll bet 95% didn't see any more 'off road' conditions than what the 5th gen can handle. It's also surprising what it can handle as well.

Peter

To be pointed, an SUV is based on a truck platform aka: Expedition, Durango, etc.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport-utility+vehicle?show=0&t=1404514927

To be accurate the 5th gen is actually a CUV: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_(automobile)

Now that is through, my earlier statement is still valid. I do not see the point in continuous argument over the classification of the 5th gen Explorer. I merely stated a fact about front wheel drive vehicles.

Now excuse me I have to return to actual important business...

To be pointed, an SUV is based on a truck platform aka: Expedition, Durango, etc.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport-utility+vehicle?show=0&t=1404514927

To be accurate the 5th gen is actually a CUV: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_(automobile)

Now that is through, my earlier statement is still valid. I do not see the point in continuous argument over the classification of the 5th gen Explorer. I merely stated a fact about front wheel drive vehicles.

Now excuse me I have to return to actual important business...
You're excused Dan. I stated that Ford wants it to be considered as an SUV. As far as merriam-webster goes, definitions are changing all the time and new words are being added. The times they are a changing! The argument won't be settled here since people will call them what they want. As far as I and many others are concerned, we agree with the manufacturer that it is still an SUV and not all these types of vehicles are FWD biased. And as the article implies, it really doesn't matter. http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/201...doesnt-matter-because-new-explorer-impresses/

Peter

I'm going to agree with Peter. Body-on-frame or unibody is not the only category differentiator between a crossover and an SUV. Some SUVs have always been unibody, the Jeep Grand Cherokee, for instance. What makes me grin is the guys/gals calling the 5th gen Explorers "trucks". Its based on the same platform as the Taurus, folks. I consider it an SUV, though - its simply too big to be considered a "crossover". Even the Wikipedia entry says the 2011+ models are Crossover SUVs (okay, putting on my flamesuit, now)

Anyone do this install yet? Im debating it....

My offer of a free 1 year Elite membership still stands for the first person to post photos of their 5th gen Explorer with a lift.

I want to, but not sure if it will effect my warranty... and I'm not sure I have the skills to do it alone...

Make Explorer stand like Everest

I have searched the internet over looking for owners who have installed the Traxda lift kit and have seen several traxda photos but none from owners with reviews. On Amazon 2 people have reviewed the front lift with positives marks but nothing in detail. I am to wimpy to be the 1st to put the full lift on a brand new truck but I would love to get my Ex to have a stance like the picture of the Red Everest with the A/T tires that is all over the web. I believe it would look great with that height of a lift and something like 265/70/18s Michelin A/T2s on it. Does anyone have any experience with the lift or is anyone else interested? I have read several lowering threads and 22" tire threads but that is not the look I am after(to each their own). if I do not get the lift then I might just get some 255/60/18 or 265/60/18s to add some sidewall and a little rougher look. Thoughts?

I'm very interested in the kit, I've been looking at it for months now. I got my 14 Explorer XLT 4wd this past November and it was roughly 6 months after purchasing it, that I wanted to lift it. I did find another forum where someone put this lift on their '13 Explorer Sport. (see below)

http://www.fordexplorer.org/forum/26-explorer-suspension/33-lift-kits-5th-gen-ford-explorer.html

682-lift-kits-5th-gen-ford-explorer-explorer-sport.jpg

In the forum the owner talks about an issue with the kit rubbing while turning due to a suspension difference between the Sport and XLT/Base models. After dealing with Traxada and the mechanics they isolated the problem and supposedly fixed it. But there hasn't been any follow up responses on that forum as to whether or not the noise is still there.

Welcome to the Forum naybo013.:wavey:
We have members here who like to raise their rides and others who like to lower them. I'm sure you will find the info you seek here. Good luck.

Peter

I will be completing this lift in early February or March. I managed to crack my oil pan on a pretty mild dirt road. This is in acceptable. The manufacturers state that post lift you can fit 32s with no rub. I'll beleave it when I see it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back