Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

Something to consider for all of you looking at the kit. This lift is basically just lowering the struts and modifying the shock mounts. The issue this can cause is extreme angles on the ball joints and cv-joints.

I'm only mentioning this because the 3rd gen people went through this issue when spacers/lift kits came out.

From what I remember, people were trying 3" lift (the kit above isn't that tall) BUT since this is a different vehicle you "might" have issues with 2.25" up front..

Anyway, I'm just saying that you should check your ball joint angles and CV joint angles etc once the kit is installed as I'd hate to see someone snap a balljoint because of the extreme angle (it has happened on 3rd gens).

~Mark

I was thinking the same thing...

ive recently lifted my other truck (trailblazer) 4in front, 3in rear.

and apparently, what these guys are doing is actually flipping the UCAs
and then reversing left to right, so I did this, and it IN FACT changed the
ball joint angle to almost near factory angle, I was amazed, and was able
to align the truck perfectly.

this MIGHT, (and a very big might) be something to look into for us also.

:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like either you have an XLT, or they swapped the wheels before selling it to you.. the limited has 20" aluminum wheels, w/ an option for 20" chrome.

Check your window sticker

Checked the VIN with the Ford website, sticker at the back and called the dealer papers for the cars all says it is a Limited. the price was not limited at all :salute:

I was thinking the same thing...

ive recently lifted my other truck (trailblazer) 4in front, 3in rear.

and apparently, what these guys are doing is actually flipping the UCAs
and then reversing left to right, so I did this, and it IN FACT changed the
ball joint angle to almost near factory angle, I was amazed, and was able
to align the truck perfectly.

this MIGHT, (and a very big might) be something to look into for us also.

:salute:

So you think it might be a safe bet to do this, or it will end up in catastrophic failure?:salute:

How many of these lift kit threads do we need? People, please do a quick search and all these threads can be consolidated into one. There are 3 of them on this page alone! Moderator....isle 1, clean up in isle 1....

Checked the VIN with the Ford website, sticker at the back and called the dealer papers for the cars all says it is a Limited. the price was not limited at all :salute:

Where are you located? In United States and Canada 20" painted aluminum wheels are standard on the limited. Unless this is somehow a fleet vehicle (I wasn't aware limited was available as a fleet vehicle) with some weird options you should have 20" wheels standard on the car. If you do not it is possible the dealer swapped wheels with a base or XLT before you took delivery. I'm curious as to how you got al limited w/ an 18" wheel otherwise.

Would it be wrong to lift the Sport? I like the speed of my sport but dislike the low ground clearance. I took it on the beach at OBX and all I was doing was pushing sand around with the fog lights. :)

It's YOUR car. If YOU want to lift it, then of course it's NOT wrong!!!!

You'll always be able to find someone that'll tell you you're wrong... but it ain't THEIR car!

It's YOUR car. If YOU want to lift it, then of course it's NOT wrong!!!!

You'll always be able to find someone that'll tell you you're wrong... but it ain't THEIR car!

Cheers mate, that is the spirit, I have called traxda and put some questions to them about the car and how it will behave after the lift or what else is necessary other than the alignment during the lift, like brake line extension, bumper re calibration etc they said they will come back to me on these, I will report once I get the reply :salute:

Where are you located? In United States and Canada 20" painted aluminum wheels are standard on the limited. Unless this is somehow a fleet vehicle (I wasn't aware limited was available as a fleet vehicle) with some weird options you should have 20" wheels standard on the car. If you do not it is possible the dealer swapped wheels with a base or XLT before you took delivery. I'm curious as to how you got al limited w/ an 18" wheel otherwise.

It is not a fleet vehicle, but I preferred 18 inch alloys because I wanted to take it off road, and I found it in one dealers lot so bought that :thumbsup:, The dealer told me 20 is standard but he ordered this one along with some other customers request because he thought it will have some demand. :salute:

Would it be wrong to lift the Sport? I like the speed of my sport but dislike the low ground clearance. I took it on the beach at OBX and all I was doing was pushing sand around with the fog lights. :)

Does anybody here got this kit on order and going to lift the Explorer? If so post pics and give some feedback. I want to do this so bad and have a mechanic friend who would put it in no prob but like everyone else don't have the balls to be the first and want to see one first.
I'm not one of those tuner guys anyway, but I hate a low ride height, especially on an SUV, and I certainly don't get this whole lowering thing that others are into.
I imagine a few inches lift would look amazing on this vehicle and give it an even more beefy look!

So you think it might be a safe bet to do this, or it will end up in catastrophic failure?:salute:

I don't know, haha

you try it and see I guess.

the control arms on my TB are pretty much the same
left to right, except a slight balljoint angle difference.
and so far has worked beautifully, no problems, and
I have wheeled her a few times.

I would say, you would have to take a good look at the BJ angle
and kinda see what would change. or how its even mounted.
it may not be possible.

but I was just mentioning, that IT CAN BE DONE, I have done it.
but not on the explorer.

Someone pull the trigger!! :)

I second that!
I have a friend who is a mechanic at a dealer and does all kinds of side job weekend work for his buds. I'm going to forward him the original link to this kit and ask him his thoughts on installing it and the issue brought up about ball joint angles ect...
I imagine from what I see in the picture of the explorer on this link that it might only really look good if:
1. You add some wheel spacers to pull the wheels back out a bit. It looks as though with the suspension extending down further that the position of the wheels moves inward slightly.
2. You would need bigger wheels (22" maybe)...the gap from the top of the tire to the fender might appear too large...making your wheels look like little donuts.

Has anyone found any other images of this gen explorer lifted with this or any other kit?

Quick update
I spoke with Traxda directly just now. He is going to locate and send me additional pictures of a lifted 2011-13 model Explorer. I asked specifically for at least a side view.
He also mentioned they've sold about 200 of these kits so far with no issues. When I asked about the ball joint angle question he mentioned something about the Explorer not having an upper arm ball joint thingy??? (don't quote me) and so that won't be an issue. He also said the kit doesn't effect the camber.
These statements may mean more to you mechanic techies than I.
Anyway. I found another pic of a lifted Explorer. The facebook link I got this photo also says they moved the wheels out 3" looks awesome. Hopefully I'll get some more to post up here soon.
Can't figure out how to upload an image but hopefully the URL to their facebook page works.
535828_705270072822617_1223862115_n.jpg
photo.php
will work.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=705270072822617&set=o.478955288821079&type=3&theater

Another quick update. Pick of another Explorer lifted with OEM wheels. Traxda sent me this pick. I also put the 2 pick up on Pinterest to be searched.

I think with all that extra room rather than going with bigger wheels I'd keep my 20" wheels on the Sport but take of the 255/50/20 tires and go with a 70 profile to fill the gap...give it that big beefy look and add a much more softer ride.

2e56c715e9c2f7346ecc8ab734b35731.jpg

Another quick update. Pick of another Explorer lifted with OEM wheels. Traxda sent me this pick. I also put the 2 pick up on Pinterest to be searched.

I think with all that extra room rather than going with bigger wheels I'd keep my 20" wheels on the Sport but take of the 255/50/20 tires and go with a 70 profile to fill the gap...give it that big beefy look and add a much more softer ride.
If you can pull that off and still turn the wheels... PICS PLEASE! Do it! I might then be next in line... lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cant wait to see how it comes out, keep in mind the larger diameter the tires the more low end power you will lose... plus tire weight

Back