• Register Today It's free!

Lift Questions for a 98 XLT 4WD

NW98EXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Sandy, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer 4WD XLT
Id like to get a 4-5" lift for my explorer. I have done some searching on here, and seems like a lot of the posts I find are pretty old. I know super lift and trailmaster supposedly made a lift for it. I cant find a new lift from either company. So upon more research I have a few questions.

#1 will a ford ranger lift kit work. (98 ranger 4wd)

#2 The post on here talks about doing a 4" lift using the superlift 9637 front kit box. (if I can even find that, which so far I have found limited info... what is included in that box. The only website I have found it on, appears it is just the 4" steering knuckles.

#3 I don't want to add a body lift. And I am not to excited about the idea of turning the torsion bars as that doesn't get me the look or height I am wanting and it seems from posts I have read its putting extra wear on suspension components.

My front end needs some love. Control arm bushings, shocks, ball joints, tie rods, possibly wheel bearings and if I'm gonna be in there replacing that stuff id like to sort this out and make it a 1-time job, I hate pulling new parts.

my fab skills are fairly low. so not looking to do a ton of fab work.

suggestions?

thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2wd and 4wd Lifts.

This really has everything you need to know and the link to Louisville 4x4 is still good for the front box.

The torsion twist does accelerate some wear on front end to some degree , but the big tires and off road abuse takes a bigger toll. Buy good quality brand name parts for the front end like Moog or check out the ifs heavy duty upgrades thread for the current part numbers and availability for those products which seems to be about the same price as Moog or cheaper even.

Get a lifetime alignment, trust me you'll want to get one about every six months those over sized off road tires are too expensive to wear prematurely.

And the torsion twist and shackles lift plus a 3" body lift gives you more clearance than the 4" suspension just doesn't look quite as good but explorers don't look bad with body lift, the ride will stiffen up with a torsion twist so some good shocks and maybe upgrading them like I did might be in order to get the best ride. Also rancho makes a shock for explorers with 1-2" of lift.

I googled the super lift kit not long ago and was able to find the whole kit still available.

The body lift is a performance accessories ranger body lift kit the link at the top should tell you all that as far as part numbers etc...

With some searching and checking out the best threads sticky at the top of the main 2nd gen modified forum page. You will find a ton of info there.

If your set on the super lift maybe call them and ask what part number you need.

I don't think trail master makes a kit any more iirc

Also check out the wanted classified section on this sight you could save some dough if someone is willing to sell or is selling a used or new lift kit.

Do I need anything to extend brake lines or anything like that?

If you do any suspension lift in the rear I would suggest extending the rear brake line. You can get by with not doing it if you're just running lift shackles but if you remove the rear sway bar then I would get it anyway cuz that brake line is about maxed out with shackles and at full Flex. I would also recommend extending the Breather line for the rear axle by giving it more slack for suspension travel and to get it up higher to keep water out of it. I routed mine into the gas cap filler area and the rest of my breather lines are run up into the engine bay at a high point with filters.

@bigred4x4 - when you lift the rear, should you remove the rear sway bar or add longer links. My thought would be to add sway bar link disconnects. I plan on doing a spring over the axle on my V8.

What are others doing with the sway bar and side links?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008A42SOO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used these on the rear sway bar of my 2000 Mountaineer, and they work perfectly.

It took a lot of research to find something that would bolt right in and provide the necessary adjustability.

I paired these with the Explorer Express rear swaybar and all I can say is, wow, the damn thing handles better than stock.

You can't believe it has a 4" lift in the back with the way it goes around corners now.

I've heard the rear sway bar removal doesn't make much difference it is better designed than the front in my opinion and allows the rear to flex quite a bit, if you remove it though it will flex more and would definitely get extended brake lines, I left mine in (stock configuration) with the shackles lift, does fine, but extending the end links to match the lift height would be more ideal especially for the front sway bar. End links for the front can be custom made fairly easily and you can cut the rear end links and extend them as necessary using a steel pipe to slide over and holes drilled for hitch pins to secure it together. Check out the warrior brand sway bar quick disconnect, there kinda pricey though, I would just use there build as a template to make your own for way cheaper.

Back