Lifted Sport Tracs Picture Thread! | Page 93 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifted Sport Tracs Picture Thread!

I knew trails required passes, but wasn't sure about sand dunes. The price for the ORV sticker is probably around the same price in Colorado.

Suspension upgrades would be nice, and if I get a sport trac I would like to supercharge it as long as it didn't cost a fortune. Your trac looks good with grey cladding IMO, but I think black would also look good and match the wheels. If I get a trac and it has the grey cladding, I will probably paint it black.

I am currently driving a 2004 explorer V8, low miles, but I am anxious to sell it and buy a sport trac after seeing all these awesome pics and mods!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! This is the snow we got in IN. Hope everyone had a good holiday and is getting ready for the new year! Anyone get any truck goodies?

20131218_150117_zps0b7a7a40.jpg

20131218_150135_zpsfc33009a.jpg

Nothing for the Trac. I did get some 5' LED strips to light up the underside of the bed rails on my F350 as well as a truck box for it which is cool. I'm excited to see what other cool things everyone else got.

ok guys, i need some thoughts on this... pictures will be included to help with the explanation but bear with me....

so i want to lift my truck more. this is full droop...

8871309C_zps4669f28c.jpg

now this is where it gets hard to understand...
I want my ride height to be at full droop. which it can be obtained by turning the collars on the coilovers... but... it makes it ride like crap and this happens....

4B738991_zps5a8576e4.jpg

the upper control arm is maxed out.

my idea is to buy the superlift crossmembers to drop the a arms and the shock locations down 4". but where i am hung up is on the upper control arms. the truck is virtually at the stock suspension geometry with the a arms and control arms as flat as an arrow. My ultimate goal is for it to ride better but be taller. more pictures can be provided if my explanation is not clear.

3 letters will get you that much lift but retain more down/up travel...

SAS (front), SOA (rear)

The only other thing that could get you more down travel is a long travel setup but that's just as much if not more then a SAS. Just saying...

the one issue that i don't want to encounter is having my truck down forever to do the sas. i don't want leaf's period so that runs into even more downtime. linking would be my way to go. i won't use it, ever probably, just for looks. however before i do that i'd want to rule out everything that i could do other than long travel or sas. talking to a fab shop here in town today and see if i can get anything sorted out.

Other than lt or sas I can't think of any good way to lift it if you already have a bodylift. Most likely you would result with a drop bracket lift up front and a spring over in the back. That would still cost some money plus the truck most likely will not ride good. There is one set up like that in by me and it rides really bad, looks like it has a stupid amount of body roll. The only good way to get one of these really tall is an sas/soa (done right) but you will sacrifice on road ride quality no matter how well it is done. Tall trucks don't handle good, simple fact, I would stick with what you have imo. Your truck looks really good just as it sits.

Personally I think if you go any taller you'll need at least 37s to fill the gaps. I hate how much gap there is between my 35s and the wheel wells. I now have access to a lift so I may end up taking my BL out as a result. It's just too tall. Unless I went full width...

Thanks for the input and reassurance. One thing I forgot toention is I'm back to square one with shock travel. Hardly any bump travel and tons of droop travel. Either I find a different spring rate to see if I can make the truck ride good with preload on the coils (there is no preload on the coils the way it sits now) or get the drop brackets from superlift which might seem like the better way to go in theory because I don't have to add any preload to the coils to do so and I'd have plenty of shock travel to use.

Anyone confused yet? I feel like I'm speaking my mind and spitballing. It's making sense in my head but feel like it's not in reality lol.

Shooterdude what's your spring #? A heavier spring will lift your ST but ride stiff. The cheapest thing to do is bolt on a BL and get softer springs so you can have a lift and a great ride. Also, playing with your valving would help out a lot. I'm running a #650 spring on my ST and it does well on and off road.

Nice picture, glad to see it's fixed and back on the road. Haven't been driving mine much lately, trying to save the motor and trans from eminent death.

Mine is 600lb. Been thinking to bump it up to a 700 or 750. I have absolutely no preload on the springs now but they look compressed and as if they can't hold the weight of the truck. I'm afraid that if I add preload then the springs won't compress anymore. As far as valving I have no idea what valving is in the front of the truck. I'd love to figure it out.

Thanks to the 3 day weekend for MLK Day, I finally have 4wd again!! No more mall crawler status! Check out the links in my signature for more details on the transmission crossmember I tabbed up and for more pictures of it.

D688EC81-39E3-4210-9602-CB6E9E81FF86_zpsfcozhc1z.jpg

Who made the driveshaft, can't read the sticker on my phone. Double cardoan?

Carolina Driveline in Spartanburg, SC. Yeah its a double cardan joint. Next on the list is trying to install the front locker or taking the BL out… Haven't decided yet.

Leave the bodylift in, it'll help in future repairs and mods. Start saving up for spare axle parts and lockers.

I already have the lockers. I had a failed install in the rear earlier in the summer where I will need to take the whole carrier out to get to everything. I'm a little skeptical of using a sharpie to line everything back up by but I have a few friends here that have done that with their ZJs and TJ. The front shouldn't be as hard with the disc brakes so that will be the next one I try when it gets warm again. After the driveshaft/crossmember, I'm done freezing my butt off for a little while.

The reason I'm thinking of taking the BL out is because the truck is extremely tall as it sits right now and I'm a little afraid of flopping on the trail. But I welcome any and all opinions from you guys about leaving it in or taking it out.

Here's a picture for reference:

015-2126C69BB16D-4373-000005EFB83C9382_zps7b26d5dc.jpg

And yet the wheels flex all the way up into the wheel wells (both front and rear), which is making me hesitant to take it out.

ddcc19f1-0420-4342-a05b-6c699b3803ec_zps2d83b7bb.jpg

Shooter ,do you remember the numbers for your shocks, length compressed and extended ?
if you put the superlift on, they may not be long enough,
mine are the 6.5 travel so they are about 12.85 collapsed, and 19.35 extended,,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I already have the lockers. I had a failed install in the rear earlier in the summer where I will need to take the whole carrier out to get to everything. I'm a little skeptical of using a sharpie to line everything back up by but I have a few friends here that have done that with their ZJs and TJ. The front shouldn't be as hard with the disc brakes so that will be the next one I try when it gets warm again. After the driveshaft/crossmember, I'm done freezing my butt off for a little while.

The reason I'm thinking of taking the BL out is because the truck is extremely tall as it sits right now and I'm a little afraid of flopping on the trail. But I welcome any and all opinions from you guys about leaving it in or taking it out.

Here's a picture for reference:

015-2126C69BB16D-4373-000005EFB83C9382_zps7b26d5dc.jpg

And yet the wheels flex all the way up into the wheel wells (both front and rear), which is making me hesitant to take it out.

ddcc19f1-0420-4342-a05b-6c699b3803ec_zps2d83b7bb.jpg

No why would you do that lol that flex is insane though

Back