and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

lifter noise

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by slow-demon, October 2, 2000.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. slow-demon

slow-demon Active Member

City, State:
      Hawaii
      Year and Model:
      '91 xl sport
      Did anyone ever try adding an oil additive to reduce lifter noise in 4.0 liter OHV engines? I tried Marvel Mystery oil and it didn't work. I also tried a product made by "BG" called RF-7 and it also didn't work. Is there a additive that will work?????

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. stevem

stevem New Member

I tried many different things including engine flush - nothing worked. I am however looing into getting the engine professionally flushed. Some dealers have machines that pump heated filtered solvent through you engine (not running) to remove sludge. The THINNER the oil I run, the better the lifters sound. There is a TSB out by Ford to run 5-30 oil instead of 10-40.

4. slow-demon

slow-demon Active Member

City, State:
      Hawaii
      Year and Model:
      '91 xl sport
      I have always changed my oil regularly every 3000-5000 miles. I think there is no sludge in the engine. I have been using thicker oil in hopes of stopping the noise, 15w40. The lifter noise happens for the first couple of minutes till the engine warms up then disappears which is why I haven't changed the lifters yet.

5. mike91

mike91 Active Member

City, State:
      Yonkers, NY
      Year and Model:
      91 EB
      The problem with the lifters is that when then fail to lubricate themselves, they begin to create the ticking noise. Unfortunately the only real way to fix the noise is to remove and replace the bad lifter. I changed my lifters approximately 50k miles ago.