Lifter replacement without removing heads? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifter replacement without removing heads?

stevem

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that you can replace ALL of the lifters in a 91 4.0L without removing the heads? There was a post on this board a while ago stating you can if you remove (and replace) the plastic caps on the tops of the lifters while they are in the block. I'm assuming this simply makes them short enough.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also need to replace my lifters and was wondering how hard it is. How long will it take a decent mechanic to do this repair? Thanks for any replies.

I think, (THINK) that you could do it without removing them, only removing the valve covers. Now I am in no way a mechanic, but I am assuming that it is possible. You may also have to remove somethin other than just the covers, like the intake or stuf like that, but I am not sure.

You should be able to do it by removing the intake manifold. Of course you will also have to loosen off the rocker arms. Why do you think you need to change the lifters?

When the explorer is just started it clicks for about 10 minutes and make the truck sound like crap. Even after driving a long time I can still hear a slight ticking noise at idle.

I am in the process of rebuilding my 91 4.0. I thought I might have a lifter problem so I tried to pull them with out taking off the heads. Suprise, can't be done the heads over hang over the lifters. You have to take the heads off.

Is that true even if you take the plastic caps off the tops of the lifters while in the block. Is there not enough room to squeeze them out between the opening in the lifter bore and the bottom of the head?

Steve

I didnt try to take of the plastic caps. 2 of my caps were missing. I would be afraid i would brake them, they seem brittle.

You may also want to try and flush the motor. Before you do an oil change, pour 1 qt of ATF in the motor and run it for about 15 minutes and then do the oil change as normal. Sometimes this cures noisy lifters because of the buildup in the lifters.

I know this is not the right way to fix it, but if you can put off pulling the heads for awhile then I think it's worth a try.

Also, you can try to use the engine flush stuff and maybe 10w-40 oil.

Not ATF... Kerosene

Originally posted by 91Explorer
You may also want to try and flush the motor. Before you do an oil change, pour 1 qt of ATF in the motor and run it for about 15 minutes and then do the oil change as normal. Sometimes this cures noisy lifters because of the buildup in the lifters.

I know this is not the right way to fix it, but if you can put off pulling the heads for awhile then I think it's worth a try.

Also, you can try to use the engine flush stuff and maybe 10w-40 oil.

ATF will work but the engine flush stuff works better. But don't buy that it is too expensive. The bottles of engine flush that you buy at the store are just Kerosene. Now aren't you just kicking yourself for paying $5 for a quart of that stuff?

Hey guys...i just did the head swap... and you dont have to remove the heads to get to the lifters... as for the clicking noise... i had the same thing.. broke a lifter right off the bat. taking the engine apart is no biggie... just LABEL ALL YOU CONNECTIONS!!! and then take pictures of your engine while its still put together... i learned the hard way... hehe. Other than that.. youll just need gaskets... some cleaner to clean out your intakes... and a torque wrench... oh... and some lifters... check vanir technologys.... they might have some cheaper...

nick

Hey Nick,

Did you have to remove the funnel shaped plastic cap(s) on the broken lifter(s) you replaced? And, since you have seen the opening sizes first hand, do you think I can replace ALL of them without removing the heads?

Steve

Steve remember that the head castings have changed and the late model heads (ie Nicks) may have more void above the lifter than the earlier heads. My 91 heads do not have enough room to remove the lifters with the funnels on, but I do not know if they can be taken out with them off. The intake would have to be off.

Not much help I guess.

Let us know the answer.

I wouldnt swear to it.. but I think the intake has to be off anyways... its gets in the way I think... but... I went from 94 heads to 99 heads... and Im pretty sure they can be put in and removed... Although... It might be a pain to remove them. I suppos acually getting to them to pull it out would be the hard part. Why not just take the heads off? Once your there...its no biggie. Just gotta get new bolts. And... why your there... you get your heads polished... intake bored out... and throw on a supercharger...

nick

Back