1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Lifters making ticking noise

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by phasmid123, September 7, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. phasmid123

phasmid123 New Member

City, State:
      seattle
      Year and Model:
      91 EB
      Hi All,
      I have a 91 EB that makes ticking noise when engine's turned on. A friend told me it's probably the lifters making noise from dirty engine and flushing the engine with detergent should get rid of the noise. Is this true? Also, is it just an annoyance or I should seriously consider replacing the lifters? Much obliged! :usa:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      If your Explorer is running fine otherwise, it is just an annoyance. I'd love to tell you adding some engine flush would likely help, but odds are it might do more harm than good and won;t likely help. Short of replacing the hydraulic lifters the best advice is live with it. If you are really worried you might check your oil pressure with a gauge. (The one in the dash is a joke). Low oil pressure can cause it too.... meaning new pump. But it's likely just system wear. Not harmful.

4. midgetwith9arms

midgetwith9arms New Member

City, State:
      Anderson, SC!!
      Year and Model:
      '91 Sport and '92 XLT
      if you have alot of miles on it then its saying "i need to be overhauled", bc my old 92 sittin at the house does it and it has like 190k miles on it.

5. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Crawlorado
      Year and Model:
      B2 Mod
      Try a can of seafoam in the crankcase before your next oil change. Follow directions on bottle.
      Sometimes it will cure the sticking lifters/poor oiling.

Also check the torque on the upper intake manifold, if it is loose you have a vacuum leak. 91-94 are notorious for this.

Search for both of these on this forum for more info

6. trucku

trucku Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.
      Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
      I had some ticking noise last year. It was not the valves. I was using lucas oil stabilizer and had too much viscosity for engine (10W40). I lived with it till this summer. I went to right viscosity 5W30 mobil1 synthetic and no additives. The noise went away after some driving..about a month or so.
      http://www.jonko.com/forum/diagnosis/noise_engine_tap.htm

Last edited: September 12, 2005
    7. MazdaGreg

MazdaGreg Active Member

City, State:
      Frederick, Co
      Year and Model:
      93 Ranger XLT
      I used to have ticking lifter noise as well. If you change the oil more frequently, sometimes you can cure that. I'm talking once every 1000 miles or so. Use a lighter weight oil also, like a 10:30 or 5:30. I don't know if i'd go with the 5:20 because that could be a bit too thin for 4.0l