Liftgate alignment issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate alignment issues.

Reaction score
City, State
Titusville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited
I had a problem with the liftgate being slightly higher than the roof line. I loosened the 2 hinge bolts on the hinges and the gas shocks forced the gate up the hinges and didn't realize it and lifted the gate up and the edge of the deck hit the roof. I had to pull the shocks off to move the gate back in place but now think the hinges bent out and now not only is it too high but now the gap is too wide. Anyone know about these liftgate hinges and how to adjust them and are these bent and need to be replaced? Don't know how to a how to add pictures on here so I'm putting links, if anyone knows how to post pictures rather than links please let me know.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...16807103.1073741838.1380838108&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...16807103.1073741838.1380838108&type=3&theater

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just replaced my 95 Explorer gate with a 91-94 gate. The 95-98 has a neon bulb, the ballast are junk. Anyway, I adjusted my gate with the shocks off and the gate 90% shut. I sat inside the truck with one of my feet turned sideways holding the gate open about 5-6 inches, just barely enought to tightly fit a ratcheting wrench between the rubber seal. This way the weight of the gate pulls down. With my new friend standing outside checking alighnment, I had the ratcheting wrench to tighen one bolt at a time...just one bolt on the left, then just one bolt on the right side. After I was happy with the alignment, I snugged up the other two bolts. Now I've got to figure out my wiring crap.
As for adding pictures...If this site is like some of the other forums on the internet, the reason you can't add pictures directly now days is because hackers have started embedding malicious code inside of pictures which causes problems to the forum itself.
I've complained about this on other sites I frequent, but it does no good. I guess they could resolve the issue in some way, but since most forums are free...well, you know.
Its either settle for a lack luster forum, or no forum at all. The choice is yours.

Since you replaced the gate did you have the hinges attached to the gate first or did you attach the gate to the hinges already there. If you replaced the hinges with the gate did you need to remove the interior side panels and headliner to get to the bolts? Could you send a picture of what your hinges look like?

I can see how to lower the gate or pull it closer. I think the hinges are damaged. I forgot what the hinges looked like but the pictures I linked show what they look like now.

I used my stock hinges. I unbolted the gate from the hinges only.
I believe it was a 8mm bolt. The ratcheting wrench was the secret to my success. I could have never tightened it down and aligned it without it.

The hatch hinges are still available from Ford, I bet a pair earlier this year.

The weight of the hatch is the problem in adjusting it, as you already know. Having another person, or two, is very helpful. There isn't much adjustment of the hinges either, just a little.

I did mine of my 93 in about 2000, and it took a long while. Mine was just a hair higher than I wanted, and being at the body shop I also used a ball peen hammer and wood as my final adjustment(to hammer it down a hair at the top leading edge). The minor damage I did to that top was simple for the body shop to skim over and smooth.

Check your strikers too, and be sure to adjust those and the latches last. You want those to engage cleanly and not have the latches pulling on the strikers. The hatch needs to close squarely with all parts without the striker in place(if you took it off to confirm). So the striker is only supposed to hold the hatch in a natural position, not pull it there. The striker bushings can last 20+ years when it's adjusted well. If it's not, the bushing can wear out easily in months.

I just replaced my 95 Explorer gate with a 91-94 gate. The 95-98 has a neon bulb, the ballast are junk. Anyway, I adjusted my gate with the shocks off and the gate 90% shut. I sat inside the truck with one of my feet turned sideways holding the gate open about 5-6 inches, just barely enought to tightly fit a ratcheting wrench between the rubber seal. This way the weight of the gate pulls down. With my new friend standing outside checking alighnment, I had the ratcheting wrench to tighen one bolt at a time...just one bolt on the left, then just one bolt on the right side. After I was happy with the alignment, I snugged up the other two bolts. Now I've got to figure out my wiring crap.
As for adding pictures...If this site is like some of the other forums on the internet, the reason you can't add pictures directly now days is because hackers have started embedding malicious code inside of pictures which causes problems to the forum itself.
I've complained about this on other sites I frequent, but it does no good. I guess they could resolve the issue in some way, but since most forums are free...well, you know.
Its either settle for a lack luster forum, or no forum at all. The choice is yours.

I put my 99 truck together with my old 93 body, and used the 99 wiring in my 93 hatch, plus a 95-97 wiper motor and key cylinder. You may need the wiring harness of the 95-97 hatch for that 93 hatch, it's about the wiper motor wires. Ford went from four wires to three, back and forth, for various models. My 99 truck needed the 95-97 wiper to be compatible, I think yours may be the same way. If so you need to swap the whole hatch harness, which wasn't hard, just tedious.

Also, for pictures, you can add pics directly from your PC, if you are an Elite member. I've really appreciated being able to add pictures directly, for years. Here's my 99 truck with a 93 rear clip(and hatch), plus 95-97 tail lights I modified.

Projectthread005.JPG

I put my 99 truck together with my old 93 body, and used the 99 wiring in my 93 hatch, plus a 95-97 wiper motor and key cylinder. You may need the wiring harness of the 95-97 hatch for that 93 hatch, it's about the wiper motor wires. Ford went from four wires to three, back and forth, for various models. My 99 truck needed the 95-97 wiper to be compatible, I think yours may be the same way. If so you need to swap the whole hatch harness, which wasn't hard, just tedious.

Also, for pictures, you can add pics directly from your PC, if you are an Elite member. I've really appreciated being able to add pictures directly, for years. Here's my 99 truck with a 93 rear clip(and hatch), plus 95-97 tail lights I modified.

View attachment 98353
Dude... How do you post pictures like that. This would be so much easier. Can you post a picture of your hinges with the liftgate open so I can see if my hinges are bent or if it's some other problem. Thanks...

I wish I had time to run to the junkyard just down the street from me tomorrow but I have too many meetings and appointments. Tuesday and Wednesday are just about as bad. If I could see a picture of a good hinge in the open position then I will know if I should order new hinges, they junkyard may not sell me just the hinges. Someone please post a picture of the liftgate hinge in the open position Thanks...

The hinges run about $34 each new. I got mine pair here for $76.85 with tax. Here's one from Tasca Ford;
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-hinge-6l2z7842900aa

It is very easy to upload/select pictures if you join as an Elite member here. It's only $20 for a year, and you get other features like no more ads, and plenty of gallery space etc.

Here's the best picture of my 93 hatch hinge, when I was changing the wiring.

Hatch connector & hinge.jpg

Whats the name and size of that socket-type tool for the stricker bolt ?

I think it's a T50 or T45 Torx bit.

The striker bolts all take a Torx 50 bit. The bushings can be had in pairs for the hatch, from a HELP kit at any parts store. The door strikers can only be bought as single assemblies, about $9 or more, to $6 or so from Rock Auto.

Again, the question is, to do this correctly and access the bolts that attack to the boday is it required to remove the headliner? I guess to remove the headliner the plastic interior side panels also need to be removed and seat belts and basically most of the interior to get the headliner out, right?

CDW6212R, did you swap the 95+ rubber gasket-hose to the older pre-94 gate? The 95+ rubber wiring harness hose has a bigger grommet on the gate side !

Yes, I made the hole in the roof/jamb just a little bigger. The WW hose was not hard to adapt, I just connected the right side where the 99(95-01) comes up to the roof, to how the older model hose routes from the left. I used the 99 wiring harness in my 93 hatch, I think you'll have to do the same thing with your 97 harness.

Back