Liftgate/tailgate won't open | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate/tailgate won't open

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure if mine is the same problem but lets see when i hit the button for all the doors to unlock it does unlock all the doors but yet still can not open the rear gate now even though its unlocked she will not budge i basically have to apply pressure over the emblem on outside of the door to get it to open would this be the same problem

Much Love!

Every time my poor Nellie (2k Mountaineer with 200k miles) has an issue, all I have to do is search here and I find the miracle solution!!

Mechanics in my area are unable to charge one less gal an arm and a leg for doing something I can do myself if I have instructions :D

Thanks so much!!!

Tami

2001 Ford Explorer Rear Hatch Access

My handle does not work to open the rear hatch to my 2001 Ford Explorer. Any ideas on how to get access to the panel to repair the handle? Anyone have some advice?

this subject has been covered here numerous times. try searching this site, although the search function doesn't work very well. if that doesn't get you what you need try using Google to search. it should lead you back here to multiple threads. i could tell you how to get it open, but it's a lot of typing and i don't have the time right now. later i'll see if i can find you a link.

ok, i have more time now. what usually happens is that the yellow plastic clip that connects the exterior lift-gate handle to the rod which operates the latch breaks or pulls out of the handle. this happens because, over time, the latches and other moving parts wear and need to be lubricated. the stress caused by lack of lubrication is what pulls the plastic clip out.

to get the lift-gate open you need to get access to the part the handle is supposed to pull on. this can be accomplished by removing the interior trim panel completely, or by carefully prying the panel over the window latch. before trying this be sure to remove the pull handle (2 Phillips screws) and the single Phillips screw found under the small plastic plug to the left of the larger center plug by the widow latch. the bottom portion of the interior panel hooks to the bottom of the lift-gate with 8-10 plastic hooks. lifting the panel will give you a little more play to get it over the window latch. if you want to remove the interior panel completely, there are a series of metal clips (1 or 2 on each side and 3 or 4 across the top of the rear window). these clips are best located and popped out with an interior panel trim removal tool. insert the tool between the plastic and the metal door and slide it along until it hits a clip. once the metal clips are released, the trim panel will lift off completely.

using a good flashlight, look straight down inside the lift-gate in the area of the window latch. you should see 2 rods which go out to the left and right lift-gate latches. using a long screw driver, press down on the pivot point for the rods. one side (left?) moves down and the other moves up to release the latches. open the lift-gate.

remove the plastic weather shield from the lift-gate to gain access to the internals. you'll probably find the rod that used to be attached to the exterior handle is now just flopping around inside the lift-gate. on the end of the rod will be the yellow clip that you now have to replace. make note of where it is located on the rod (usually around the center of the ribbed section). the clips are available from Ford for around $3.00. you might be temped to reuse your old clip, but don't. i have the part number somewhere if you need it.

be sure to lubricate all the moving parts (including the exterior handle pivot points). install the new yellow clip and snap it on to the exterior handle. reassemble the lift-gate in reverse order of dis-assembly. use some pieces of masking tape to hold the plastic weather shield in place while you reattach the trim panel.

Explorer Rear Hatch Access

Thanks Koda for great info. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a linkage diagram for the latch handle?

My issue is similar to others, the rod came out of that nice cheap plastic clip. I was able to get the clip out, re-thread on rod and put back in place. However, using the handle, the rod just travels up and down, not moving anything else. I am thinking there is either something missing, or disconnected, but cannot really see what it is. I can manually shift the linkage rods to the left/right to open gate, so not a lock/unlock issue. A diagram would be helpful!

Thanks!

Thanks Koda for great info. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a linkage diagram for the latch handle?

My issue is similar to others, the rod came out of that nice cheap plastic clip. I was able to get the clip out, re-thread on rod and put back in place. However, using the handle, the rod just travels up and down, not moving anything else. I am thinking there is either something missing, or disconnected, but cannot really see what it is. I can manually shift the linkage rods to the left/right to open gate, so not a lock/unlock issue. A diagram would be helpful!

Thanks!

i don't know of a diagram, but the metal rod that attaches to the exterior handle travels vertically down when the handle is pulled. the other end of the rod should be attached to the center pivot for the latch rods. follow the rod up to the center pivot. it seems unlikely that both ends of the rod would become disconnected at the same time, but stranger things have happened. perhaps you need to move the yellow clip further up the rod and i'd replace it. if it pulled out once it will probably pull out again.

i don't know of a diagram, but the metal rod that attaches to the exterior handle travels vertically down when the handle is pulled. the other end of the rod should be attached to the center pivot for the latch rods. follow the rod up to the center pivot. it seems unlikely that both ends of the rod would become disconnected at the same time, but stranger things have happened. perhaps you need to move the yellow clip further up the rod and i'd replace it. if it pulled out once it will probably pull out again.

I am sure I will need to replace the clip, can't find one locally yet. And actually, the clip just came apart, clips back together and is tightly threaded and holding. But, that rod is still attached to the center pivot, I see it coming thru the center post and to the side, but can't find what that is supposed to be moving. The center does seem to move. Problem is, can't really see inside the working parts too well to see what should be attached. I do see, in looking at the inside of the door towards rear, to the right of the center post, there is a "lever" that has a hole on the right end of it. I can move that up and down and see a whole assembly of parts moving with it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. As said, I can move the horizontal bars and gate opens, but can't tell what should be attached and moving those.

Thanks.

I am sure I will need to replace the clip, can't find one locally yet. And actually, the clip just came apart, clips back together and is tightly threaded and holding. But, that rod is still attached to the center pivot, I see it coming thru the center post and to the side, but can't find what that is supposed to be moving. The center does seem to move. Problem is, can't really see inside the working parts too well to see what should be attached. I do see, in looking at the inside of the door towards rear, to the right of the center post, there is a "lever" that has a hole on the right end of it. I can move that up and down and see a whole assembly of parts moving with it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. As said, I can move the horizontal bars and gate opens, but can't tell what should be attached and moving those.

Thanks.

i have one disassembled in my basement. when i get a minute i'll go look at it and see where the top of the rod is supposed to be attached to. if i remember correctly, there's a small arm on the center pivot with a hole in it. if so, i would assume that's where the rod attaches.

okay, the first photo shows the center pivot and you can see where the left and right latch rods attach to it (yellow clips).

the second photo shows the other side of the center pivot. note that there's a short rod (being pointed to). i would think that's where the handle attaches. the short rod may even be the rod that goes to the handle, i can't recall (seems awfully short). hope this helps.

111_0041.jpg

111_0042.jpg

Thanks koda, big help with the visual!!! I see that all seemed attached and moving the horizontal rods manually was moving the center pivot and small rod. The short rod does thread directly into the clip that attaches to the handle. So, I threaded the rod in farther into the clip to actuate quicker, and did get the tension when pulling the handle, however, clip popped open again. Boo. So, looks like I will need to replace the clip.

Next question, anyone know where I might be able to go online to buy parts like that? Nearest Ford dealer is many miles away from me now and have talked to a couple junk yards that don't want to part out the hatchback.

Thanks!

Thanks koda, big help with the visual!!! I see that all seemed attached and moving the horizontal rods manually was moving the center pivot and small rod. The short rod does thread directly into the clip that attaches to the handle. So, I threaded the rod in farther into the clip to actuate quicker, and did get the tension when pulling the handle, however, clip popped open again. Boo. So, looks like I will need to replace the clip.

Next question, anyone know where I might be able to go online to buy parts like that? Nearest Ford dealer is many miles away from me now and have talked to a couple junk yards that don't want to part out the hatchback.

Thanks!

i think the HELP section in most auto parts stores sells an assortment of plastic clips and i believe the yellow one is included in the assortment. you can also find Ford dealers who sell parts on-line. if you need the Ford part number let me know and i'll try and find it in my box of auto parts receipts.

here's the part number: E83Z 5421952 B it was under $4 a couple of years ago.

i think the HELP section in most auto parts stores sells an assortment of plastic clips and i believe the yellow one is included in the assortment. you can also find Ford dealers who sell parts on-line. if you need the Ford part number let me know and i'll try and find it in my box of auto parts receipts.

here's the part number: E83Z 5421952 B it was under $4 a couple of years ago.

Great, found it. Thanks a ton koda. Now, while I am working in the door, the liftgate window is also kaput. The push button works fine, but it looks like a piece that is supposed to go in the push button shaft to activate the lever to open latch is missing. Looked on Ford part site, but cannot find any diagram that shows that piece. Any idea?

Thanks!

Great, found it. Thanks a ton koda. Now, while I am working in the door, the liftgate window is also kaput. The push button works fine, but it looks like a piece that is supposed to go in the push button shaft to activate the lever to open latch is missing. Looked on Ford part site, but cannot find any diagram that shows that piece. Any idea?

Thanks!

not exactly sure what you're referring to. i'll try to get down to the basement tomorrow and see if i see what you mean. i have all the guts out of the door with the center pivot, so i should be able to figure it out. if it's something that can be detached from the push-button you're welcome to it. if it's a non- removable part of the push button you can have the whole thing, but i don't have a key for the button.

okay, my curiosity got the better of me and the dog wanted to go out... sorry, the pics are not crisp.

in the first pic notice the position of the piece with the orange mark on it. it is in the locked position. in this position pushing the button does nothing.
111_0056.jpg

in this picture, the orange mark is moved down to the unlocked position. pushing the button now will cause the gold-colored metal piece to move.
111_0057.jpg

in this pic i'm depressing the button and it is engaging the gold-colored piece that opens the window latch.
111_0058.jpg

this pic shows the rear of the mech with the rod that goes to the center pivot area/rear lift-gate lock actuator (not shown).
111_0059.jpg

so it isn't that the rear window actually locks, the button is just put in a position where it actuates the latch release or it doesn't. this happens whether you use the key to disable the button or if the electric lock actuator does the same thing.

Great pics koda, appreciate that. That orange piece appears to be what is missing from the equation. Trying to find that piece on Ford's site to order, but can find no assembly detailing that. If you happen to come across a part # or such for it, I'd be very thankful.

Thanks for all the help with this!

Great pics koda, appreciate that. That orange piece appears to be what is missing from the equation. Trying to find that piece on Ford's site to order, but can find no assembly detailing that. If you happen to come across a part # or such for it, I'd be very thankful.

Thanks for all the help with this!

i doubt if you're gonna find any individual pieces for the lock. if/when it was available you probably had to buy the whole assembly. if you want the one pictured you're welcome to it. i owe the forum a play-it-forward anyway. it just hasn't got a key. i never use a key to open mine anyway, or maybe you could take it apart and use what you need to fix yours. just PM me if you want it.

if you cant open your rear hatch because your door lock motor for the hatch doesnt work anymore i know how you can unlock it without taking off the rear panel. its quite easy actually.

people could actually break into your truck really easy if they knew this trick so dont tell anyone!

anyways, go to the back of your truck, on the outiside. look at your license plate. two white lights that illuminate the plate so the 50 can read your plates in the dark! well unscrew the light on the drivers side. now....with your trusty flat head screw driver and your flash light to guide it. push that bar going left to right, i believe it has a yellow plastic end on it. thats where the actuator motor connects to the locking mechanism! i forget which way you have to push, left or right. but yea....it works. i left the car running and got locked out one time....in the driveway luckly. having taken off the rear panel to get to the actuator motor i realised the close proximity to that little light and decided to give it a try before i put my trusty coat hanger into my door......it worked like a charm. if you guys cant figure it out i'll make a video of it or something.

*i had to do this the other day bc the lock on my drivers door froze, and my other locks dont work at all ever. so i did this again and realised what i said the first time was not exactly right. when you look up in there you can see the actual locking mechanism up to the right, i used a wrench and pushed up on the actual level the lock actuator was hooked to, its hard to move the actuator its self so just pushing on that lever is much easier and works the same.

sorry if i am terrible at explaining this. its hard to put into words

Make a video please if you can..my son and I were trying to do this and keep failing..I'm reading it over and over

This applies to the '96 rear hatch handle that rotates.

Several times I tried to rotate it with the hatch locked and a tab jumped out of place inside the hatch.

I had to pull off the inside plastic trim to get to the locking bars inside. I pulled on in to the center of hatch to release and open it.

Once opened I loosend the lock mechanism and reseated it.

To avoid pulling plastic trim off from the inside again, I tied a pull string to the bar and fed it out to a hole in trim panel. At least I could open the hatch (from inside) until I had chance to reset the tab to open from outside.

I know on the earlier gen II's, there used to be a lock/unlock indicator button like on the other doors, and when they did away with that, they just capped the hole... Maybe that's it?

Hi Joe Dirt,
I know this post is ancient, but do you know whether that indicator was electrical or mechanical? I'm thinking if it was mechanical it might be possible to open the tailgate through the hole.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back