Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Little smoke bad smell - black bolt?

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by Grabberblue, December 31, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Grabberblue

Grabberblue New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2003 Ford Sport trac
      Hi everyone,

I hate my truck! I’m tired of this. I fix one thing and 2 more problems pop up. It’s getting old!

Right now, I have just recently started getting oil spots in my driveway. I needed to change out my calipers anyways, so while I was doing that, I was looking around and saw a black bolt on the side of the block. This is the passenger side at the front of the engine, closest to the firewall.

I finished doing the calipers and took it for a drive to make sure it was good. When I got back, I smelled the smoke, popped my hood and there was a good amount of white smoke. Checked the coolant and that’s at it’s normal level. It was doing this before I did the brake, I noticed it a few days ago too.

So after letting it cool down, I got under the truck and spotted that black bolt. It’s had a little bit of oil on it and it was the highest spot I could see oil. I cleaned it off, drove it around (about the same as before) when I got back, no smoke, but the smell was still there.

I am wondering what this black bolt is for? Is it a cap for oil?? Does anyone know what size it is?

It’s a 2003 sport Trac.
      I just did the oil. I also just replaced the thermostat housing after it blew up on me.

3E30CE20-6DA3-4936-B725-7DE46FA55A7B.jpeg

black bot.png

Last edited: December 31, 2017
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
    4. Grabberblue

Grabberblue New Member

2003 Ford Sport trac
    5. sr139fox

sr139fox Active Member

City, State:
      North Carolina
      2001 Ford Sport Trac
      From what I read on this. I would leave it alone. Hard to get to reseal with limited success.