Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Livernois tune experience

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2018 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by explosportguy, June 6, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. pup5581

pup5581 Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '14 Explorer Sport
      If something was to go wrong and someone put the stock tune back in before it hit the dealer...would they still be able to tell? I would think so....although my '07 G35 engine blew at 55K with NO mods and they couldn't figure out why and tired to get me to pay the 12K for the new engine for not even knowing

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. explosportguy

explosportguy Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Catskill Mtns, New York
      2015 Explorer Sport
      lot's of opinions on this point in the forum. I'm going under the assumption that the dealer would be able to tell. I work in oil and gas exploration and production and we always budget the 'dry' scenario. That's to say that we anticipate every well we drill will be dry (a failure). A very conservative approach, but no surprises that way.

4. explosportguy

City, State:
      Catskill Mtns, New York
      2015 Explorer Sport
      OBDII Emissions Monitor Readiness - Before tune and after tune

Ok, here's the disclaimer again: This is how it went for me. There's no guarentee that your results will be the same. Making any mod to your vehicle is at your own risk. If you make any mods, your vehicle could be damaged, and it may never pass emissions testing again.

Now that we have that out of the way . . .

Here's my OBDII monitor readiness status before the tune :

[​IMG]

Here's my OBDII monitor readiness and DTC status immediately after loading the tune (first startup). No surprises here, DTC miles reset and the status shows 'Not ready for emissions testing" because some of the monitors are reporting "not ready" :

[​IMG]

And here it is today, ~70 miles into the tune :

[​IMG]

Great news! ~70 miles in and the only monitor that has not already reset is EVAP. That is not surprising because EVAP needs a specific startup, specific temp range, long (15min or so), calm drive cycle with between 3/4 and 1/4 tank of gas, only can be run on the 3rd Thursday of the 2nd month of an odd numbered year, blah, blah, blah.

EDIT June 15, 2015 : Well, the EVAP monitor went to ready status sometime during the weekend. My emissions readiness monitors are green across the board now.

Might pass OBDII emission test now, If not, at least I know I can reload the stock tune and the monitors should reset pretty quickly.

I'll post the tune download / update details as soon as I have a chance.

Still can't say enough how happy I am with LMS's proactive communications and the tune.

Edit : well duh OBD Fusion has a US State Readiness Testing database. If it is correct I'm already good to go :

[​IMG]

Last edited: June 23, 2015
    5. explosportguy

City, State:
      Catskill Mtns, New York
      2015 Explorer Sport
      The tune workflow

One more time : This is how it went for me. There's no guarentee that your results will be the same. Making any mod to your vehicle is at your own risk. If you make any mods, your vehicle could be damaged, and it may never pass emissions testing again.

Here is an overview of my actions start to finish. Talk to LMS, read the instructions and follow the tuner displays exactly. This information is an overview only and does not contain all the detail steps or actions :

1) I contacted LMS and talked to them about my objectives for the tune and about the status of my Sport (mods installed, planned, driving environment, etc). Listen to what they say, they know their tunes.

2) During the phone discussion with LMS I placed my order. If you place the order via the website, you can track the order online. I placed mine by phone and I had no trouble tracking the invoice and order shipping status by email.

3) When I received the tuner, I followed the LMS instructions and emailed the info requested to LMS (see post #1 in this thread)

4) I received an email with links to the LMS servers. I downloaded and installed the app per the LMS instructions in the email.

5) After the app installed on my PC (Win7), I followed the LMS instructions to connect the tuner and start the app.

6) The app contacted the LMS server, checked for tuner firmware updates and attempted to download my tunes. Here is where I had a problem. Although I had an initial connection to the LMS server, the app could not download the tuner files. My Win 7 firewall was blocking the app from doing direct file requests.

7) I closed the tuner app, authorized the app in the Win 7 firewall, made sure the tuner was USB connected and restarted the app. The tuner files then downloaded from the LMS server and uploaded into the tuner no problem :

[​IMG]

Note that the app shows the tuner files as "Stock, Tune 1, Tune 2, etc.". At this point I felt I had no way to know which tune was what, so I contacted LMS.

8) Jaimie told me not to worry, when I connect the tuner to the vehicle, it will list the actual tune names - and it did!

9) Following the LMS instructions for making the Sport ready for connection of the tuner and upload of the tune, I made the connection via the OBDII port :

[​IMG]

10) then I followed the instructions displayed by the tuner (and as supplemented in the written instructions) to select and load the tune. The tuner display scrolls and that is why some lines appear truncated :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11) I then followed the tuner instructions about turning off and on the ignition, etc. (there was more than one on-off-on cycle if I remember correctly) and I was done!

To note :

1) MyTouch / Sync reinitialized as part of the process. Even though the tuner had already displayed the "turn off the ignition now and hit 'Y' message", I didn't do it until the MyTouch / Sync reinitialization finished.

2) My emission readiness monitors reset to 'not ready' per my prior post. No big deal for me, all but EVAP have already gone back into 'Ready' status. LMS was very upfront about the fact that the monitors would reset and that the stock tune would probably need to be loaded if I need to pass an actual tailpipe emissions test or even the OBDII test.

3) I did not lose my Sirius radio presets, but the climate system did come up with what I assume are its default settings. Nav and all other systems are fine. I didn't think to check if my destinations are still stored in nav memory. I'll check today and update the post.

Edit : I did not lose my previous destinations, home or favorites in nav

That's all I can think of for now. Hope this helps you understand the process if you are new to updating your car's tune!

Last edited: June 23, 2015
    6. pup5581

pup5581 Active Member

'14 Explorer Sport
      Awesome write up Will use it when loading mine!

7. explosportguy

City, State:
      Catskill Mtns, New York
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Thanks, just trying to give something back to the forum in return for all the good info I've received.

Last edited: June 12, 2015
    8. FarmDee

FarmDee New Member

City, State:
      Florida
      2015 Ford Explorer Sport
      Thanks for all the details!

I want this tune so bad but my Sport is leased and each time I read your disclaimer I back out mentally. :( But I may do it at some point

9. pup5581

pup5581 Active Member

'14 Explorer Sport
      I was very hesitant as well...but i said eh screw it and ordered it. I want the full sport experience and this will/should give it to you.

10. explosportguy

City, State:
      Catskill Mtns, New York
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Hi FarmDee. You're welcome. Personally I would not risk any mod on a leased vehicle. I plan on keeping the explo for a long time, so I purchased it and therefore it's fair game. :)

11. pup5581

pup5581 Active Member

'14 Explorer Sport
      ANy chance you buy it after lease? Did they give you a buy out price when you signed it? (they should have)

12. Jvallejo22

Jvallejo22 Member

City, State:
      Providence, RI
      2015 Ford Explorer Sport
      I am in the same predicament. My sport is leased as well. Although I do love my car I am still 50/50 on whether I'll keep it. This is my first year into a 3 year lease. So maybe I'll change my mind.

As far as I remember I think my buyout price was 26k-27k. I am very tempted to tune it though. I am speed demon so I wouldn't mind having the extra power and speed haha. Just worried about the warranty...so far I have 7000k miles and not a single problem!

13. pup5581

pup5581 Active Member

'14 Explorer Sport
      My tune arrived today! I need to borrow my buddys PC...only have MAC...in order to get the app they will send me but at least i can get my info ect tonight to email them

BTW Like i said they have NO MAC support for those wondering!

14. explosportguy

City, State:
      Catskill Mtns, New York
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Great news :thumbsup: Be careful with that 1-2 upshift after you first load the tune, mine has already leveled out and I'm a very happy camper. My wife (another car nut) loves it too.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. pup5581

pup5581 Active Member

'14 Explorer Sport
      Under heavy Accel right?...how long until it leveld out for ya?

Wife a car nut..i need to find one of those!

BTW the end of the instructions says after tune loads turn ignition off..open then close drivers door and press y..so only 1 hit of the button it looks like

Last edited: June 16, 2015
    16. BlackJac

BlackJac Active Member

City, State:
      New Jersey
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Make sure all accessories (auto lights, stereo, hvac, etc) are off before tuning. Also, unplug all devices from the USB and 12v outlets.

I had an iPod connected that caused the programmer to time out, leading to about 6 tries just to get it back to stock. Anthony at Livernois was a huge help in troubleshooting this issue with me.

Also to go along with a tune I'd suggest gapped plugs to .030", thermostat swap, and 3 bar upgrade.

17. explosportguy

City, State:
      Catskill Mtns, New York
      2015 Explorer Sport
      It took about 4 days, so around 200 miles for the trans to level out.

Regarding my wife, I'm really fortunate. That's her in the white Camaro chasing me in my avatar pic.

Just be sure to follow the instructions that the tuner displays. My update cycled more than once. I don't remember how many times or exactly the sequence.

+1 to everything BlackJac says in his post. The car has to be completely quiet. No A/C, no automatic lights, no radio, nothing connected to accessory power or USB, etc. before you start the tune update. I even disabled the BT and Wifi on my phone prior to starting the tune because I used the phone to take the pics. Also, don't let anyone open any doors or disturb the car in any way during the tune. Don't touch the brake, gas pedals turn signal stalk or any other control during the tune upload.

Just be sure to follow the LMS printed instructions and the tuner displayed instructions. Call LMS if you have any questions or concerns, they've always been very responsive when I've called.

18. pup5581

pup5581 Active Member

'14 Explorer Sport
      Got my tunes tonight. Will hopeull have it installed tomorrow night when i get a PC!

19. pup5581

pup5581 Active Member

'14 Explorer Sport
      Now if say i loaded my tune...had to go to dealer for service...went back to stock.....then BACK to tune after service... i assume it would have to relearn it again ect

20. explosportguy

City, State:
      Catskill Mtns, New York
      2015 Explorer Sport
      that's correct. Each reload of the tune is a 'reboot'.

21. pup5581

pup5581 Active Member

'14 Explorer Sport
      With the stock tune going back..would the trans have to relearn that as well..or since it's stock setup..no? Just curious

BTW what does the 93 tune roughly add to HP and torque?

Last edited: June 18, 2015
    22. pup5581

pup5581 Active Member

'14 Explorer Sport
      This will sound stupid...but what's the 3 bar?

23. explosportguy

City, State:
      Catskill Mtns, New York
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Reloading the stock tune does require the transmission to relearn if I remember correctly (just like when you start driving the car when it is new).

I don'r recall regarding the hp and torque figures. I think I remember seeing them posted here somewhere but I didn't save the link to the post. Don't know how accurate they are however.

24. explosportguy

City, State:
      Catskill Mtns, New York
      2015 Explorer Sport
      The 3 bar MAP (absolute manifold pressure) sensor can measure the higher manifold pressures associated with higher turbo boost. The Sport's stock MAP can only report to ~14.5 to the PCU (powertrain control module). Boost pressures greater than 14.5 psi in the manifold still report 14.5. This causes problems for the tunes (and ultimately you) because once the manifold pressure exceeds the max value, the tune can no longer know what the real manifold is. From what I understand from LMS, this is no problem for the standard 93 perf tune, because they limit max boost to approximately 14.5 (a relatively mild boost increase of approximately 2 psi over stock). If you want to go further, or if you want to razor tune the 93 perf tune, you need the 3 bar MAP sensor so it can accurately report manifold presssure up to ~29 psi.

25. explosportguy

City, State:
      Catskill Mtns, New York
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Also, if you go beyond the 93 perf tune, you're getting into fuel issues / methanol injection territory. The weakest link theory proven!

26. pup5581

pup5581 Active Member

'14 Explorer Sport
      Higher tunes then 93? I would figure you would get into fuel issues with that unless you change a lot!

I had a buddy who had a tune on his older mustang GT a while ago..93 and he put in a full tank of 91 IIRC and actually got some pinging/knocking..light but it started

Loaded all my tunes...now i can give my cousin back his laptop haha