DIY stunt double
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Picked up a new project for my son Bryan.

100_1839_zps0bymijin.jpg

100_1837_zpseii8fp7m.jpg

100_1840_zps2rorpg2g.jpg

100_1838_zpsds18gfeh.jpg

Here are some "green off the trailer" shots.

Needs some work, but it was free. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Body's in great shape! What year, what engine? Any modification plans?

Free!?
Congratulations, it looks pretty good.

It's a 2004 3.0 2wd manual.

Right now the battery is charging. The fuel pump is dead so we're planning to move the bed to get to it.

His older sister and her fiance own it, and decided to get a toyota instead of messing with this.

Once we get the fuel pump replaced we'll be able to see what's up with the engine.

unless you know this already, see if the pan gasket is pushing out from between the block and pan at the front of the motor. there was certain years that were bad for that for some reason, and you cant drop the pan with the motor in the truck if its a 3L

unless you know this already, see if the pan gasket is pushing out from between the block and pan at the front of the motor. there was certain years that were bad for that for some reason, and you cant drop the pan with the motor in the truck if its a 3L

as far as I know it is leak free, and this is the first i have heard of this issue.

A little background-

The truck was being driven daily when it started running rough. It was taken to a garage mechanic type person who determined it was running good for a while, then developing misfires on multiple cylinders. He said "top end rebuild", whatever that means, and it was parked.

Months later the fuel pump is dead. I suspect the issue all along was low fuel pressure. we're hoping.

The only work done to this in the past, other than normal maintenance, was to repair a timing cover leak and new water pump.

It has 160k miles on it.

Do you know of a fix for this and why the pan can't be dropped? My brothers truck has pushed the gasket out a little at the front. It isn't leaking but I assume it'll continue to push the gasket out and it'll leak eventually.

Do you know of a fix for this and why the pan can't be dropped? My brothers truck has pushed the gasket out a little at the front. It isn't leaking but I assume it'll continue to push the gasket out and it'll leak eventually.

well, i shouldnt say you cant drop the pan, but you would have to unblot either the pickup, or pump and pick up. the pick up wont let the pan drop strait down, it hits the trans when you try sliding it backwards

well, i shouldnt say you cant drop the pan, but you would have to unblot either the pickup, or pump and pick up. the pick up wont let the pan drop strait down, it hits the trans when you try sliding it backwards

Ok, so it won't be fun lol I figure we'll be replacing it before he heads off to college in August. Thanks man :thumbsup:

And sorry for hijacking the thread :D

I vote V8 swap!!!!!!! The 3.0 is sluggish and is high maintenance. Hell just keeping them from overheating and leaking oil is a task of its own.

Ranger dump truck lol :D

100_1849_zpsfvicmr5q.jpg

New fuel pump in and it fired right up!

#2 cylinder seems to be dead, but so far no check engine light has been seen while it is running. Bryan is going to pull the spark pug and check the compression, but I have a gut feeling the injector is dead.

A dead injector is an easy fix, hopefully it's got good compression. If it doesn't have compression, I think that's a sign for a V8 swap :D

Man that is a sweet looking truck. Congrats on the freebie! If the injector fixes it I'd do that and sell... (But I like making money. LoL) V8 swap sounds very interesting.

Sent from my LGL15G using Forum Runner

well,
I "Think" the cheap replacement fuel pump died but I want to check the wiring and all that, so, can anyone tell me where the fuel pump ground is so I don't have to tear the wiring loom apart? I was under there and took a look, but did not see any wires attached to the frame.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure where the ground is but check the body to frame harness under the drivers seat. When I first went to fire my 01 ranger up I had no power at the pump. Traced it all the way to the connector. It was connected, just the center bolt wasn't tight all the way.

Back