Livin' On The Edge | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Livin' On The Edge

It was indeed a bad new pump.

However, cylinder 2 miss is still there.

Fuel injector wire harness blinks the test LED
New fuel injector made no difference
New coil pack=no Change
New plugs and wires=no change

Compression on cylinder 2 is 130 psi on 5th compression cycle
Cylinder 1 is 175 psi on 5th cycle

So yeah, we are in the process of pulling the heads off to replace them with some updated heads with hardened valve seats.

:(

Bryan is working 2 jobs and is often called in to cover shifts. Time for wrenching on this with him is getting hard to come by, so please be patient.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you're pulling the heads, are you gonna replace the pistons and rings? Little more work but if youre dealing with low compression I'd replace them.

Since you're pulling the heads, are you gonna replace the pistons and rings? Little more work but if youre dealing with low compression I'd replace them.

I am not planning on that. Unless I don't see a problem when I pull the heads off. I expect to see this.

TSB 05-26-3
FORD: 2004-2006 Ranger

ISSUE
Some 2004-2006 Rangers 3.0L-2V "Vulcan"vehicles may exhibit:
- Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0300-P0306 and P0316
- Rough running at various RPM
- Rough idle
- Misfire

ACTION
This may be due to an engine exhaust valve seat recession causing a loss of compression. Refer to the following Service Procedure to diagnose exhaust valve seat recession.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Perform a power balance rest to clarify if a cylinder is misfiring. Identify and keep record of any cylinder that has a concern.

2. Perform a manual compression test with the spark plugs removed to locate any cylinder that may have low compression. Refer to the appropriate Workshop Manual, Engine System, General Information, 303-00.

3. If no low compression is found per shop manual instructions, proceed with normal misfire diagnostics per the Powertrain Controls/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Manual for the appropriate model year.

4. If low compression is found and it is a cylinder that had a misfire on power balance, perform a leakdown test to determine the source of leakage that may be causing the low compression. Refer to the appropriate Workshop Manual, Engine System, General Information, 303-00.

5. If low compression is found in a cylinder that did not have a misfire detected then proceed with normal base engine diagnostics per the Workshop Manual, Engine System, General Information, 303-00.6.

If the exhaust valve is identified as the source, replace both cylinder heads with the newly released service cylinder heads. Refer to the appropriate Workshop Manual, Section 301-01A.

PART NUMBER / PART NAME
6U7Z-6049-A / Cylinder Head Assembly
2F1Z-6079-BB / Upper Gasket Kit
F8 DZ-6065-AA / Cylinder Head Bolts
F7DZ-9448-BB / Engine Exhaust Gasket
4F1Z-658-AA / Valve Cover Gasket
F6DZ-9439-C / Side Gasket
F2DZ-9A425-AA / China Gasket (Front)
F3DZ-9A424-BA / China Gasket (Rear)
4L5Z-9H486-AA / Gasket-Upper Intake Manifold

Cylinder 1 on right, cylinder 2 ( dead miss-low compression cylinder) on left.

There is a visible difference in the seated exhaust valves. By golly-

100_1913_zps5kbiknky.jpg

So, new heads needed?

Yeah. Just another thing to throw some $$ at.

I'm hoping to wrap this up for under 600.00 with gaskets and bolts.

I've got a set of bolts and a gasket still wrapped and sitting in my garage.

Sent from my LGL15G using Forum Runner

I've got a set of bolts and a gasket still wrapped and sitting in my garage.

For 3.0? If so I probably need them huh?

:D

LoL nah... Guess I should read the thread from the beginning huh? Nice looking pickup though.

I'm not as familiar with car engines, but can't you replace the valve seats and reuse the heads?

if you want those parts i was telling you about earlier, i can box them and send them to you if it helps

if you want those parts i was telling you about earlier, i can box them and send them to you if it helps

Thanks Tim. I really do appreciate it. Ship cost from you to me is kinda high though. I'm not sure if it would be worth the hassle or not?

The fel pro "valve job" gasket kit is only 58.00 at rockauto. I'll order the new head bolts with that also. Add a thermostat and it's right at 100 shipped.

Thirded(?) on the V8 swap. Those 3.0's are meh even when serviced regularly. I deal with a few Rangers at work...despite being the IT guy. (Somewhere along the lines I mentioned I'm a Ford guy and most of our vehicles are Fords so yeah....)

First I'm jealous cause that's a nice little truck..:biggthump

The 3.0's have a known head issue by Ford so the previous mechanic was right on target.

Are you sure the truck is not an E85 truck? That was common with the 3.0 in the mid west.

Considering all my options here.

Could someone link me to what they think is the most informative V8 swap thread on one of these?
In my research I have conflicting info. For one, do I indeed need to move the engine mount location?

There is a "glitch" in this truck's plan. The gifter of the truck still has a lien against it due to an IRS bill. Until this is taken care of by him I cannot get a title. Since he is my future Son in Law, I know it will be taken care of by at least next year's refund. So, either he takes care of it now or later-either way I would like to move forward with this.

The latest one I know which has results to install issues and answers to what problems arose during and after the V8 swap is Scott B.'s thread. Im not on a computer so you will have to find it..:)

His was a V8 swap on a 94 Ranger 4.0 and I can't really recall seeing a V8 swap on a 3.0l. Maybe someone else can share..:popcorn:

Try Boominxplorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So any year 5.0 explorer drive train will "bolt in". Problem is yours is a 2004 and it's the first year of can-bus. Is your pcm in the same location and does it look similar as a 2nd Gen explorer?

My ranger is a 2001 and was a 3.0 4x4 to start. I am running a 97.5/98 v8 explorer drive train with a 4406 transfer now.

Back